Voice Dialing via bluetooth headset

wmg390

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having trouble with voice dialing via bluetooth headset. The voice dialing was working previously. The android voice dialer software
cannot hear me through the headset and as soon as I dial the number manually, the headset kicks in, and I can converse with the other party using the Bluetooth headset. I paired the headset with another phone so I do not think it's a headset issue due to the fact that it worked before and currently works on a different phone. This is a serious problem because of the driving issues. Any help would be appreciated.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem and it has been driving me crazy. I have a day one Evo and never had this issue in the past.

It started after the last update, but oddly, I don't think immediately after. Sometimes I press the button and get nothing. Sometimes you can see the dialer app appear and disappear. Sometimes it never appears but you can hear it asking the questions through the phone anyway. Sometimes just partially, like the first word. I am having failure of proper behavior 100% of the time now. :(

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Voice Dialing via bluetooth car interface

I have similar trouble. Downloaded new version of Android 4.0.3 to my HTC EVO Design 4G about two weeks ago and then found the Bluetooth voice interface on my Hyundai Santa Fe no longer worked. It would connect with the phone, download the contact list and find a name from the voice command but when it came to dialing the dumber the call was never placed. The car and phone had been working together for a year until this upgrade. I tried re-pairing, lifting the battery, all sorts of stuff. Finally I noticed a fleeting message window going by which said that Android.Phone.App had crashed. Since the phone works after this message I assume that the app manager restarts the phone somewhere along the way. A more "normal" Bluetooth headset works flawlessly as before. I have transmitted the crash dump report several times to HTC. My carrier cannot find me a way to roll back to a previous version. Is anyone at HTC working on this problem? I need the hands-free operation so I have dropped back to my Blackberry 8530 for now. Not a very good advertisement for HTC.

wvchapp

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem and it has been driving me crazy. I have a day one Evo and never had this issue in the past.

It started after the last update, but oddly, I don't think immediately after. Sometimes I press the button and get nothing. Sometimes you can see the dialer app appear and disappear. Sometimes it never appears but you can hear it asking the questions through the phone anyway. Sometimes just partially, like the first word. I am having failure of proper behavior 100% of the time now. :(

I get identical symptoms. In addition, when I do get the voice prompts, I never get the beep to tell me to start talking. Sometimes the voice prompts come through bluetooth, sometimes from the phone, but most often not at all.

Yesterday, I tried to voice dial, got no prompt or beep, and used the Contacts screen instead. While the call was ringing, the voice prompt said "Didn't catch that", so apparently it had been listening.

I wouldn't say I've got 100% failure, but it's easily over 80%.

97trakin

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same issue for a while now. My calls go through it's just that when I tap the BT button all voice prompts are given through the handset instead of through the BT like it used to be.
Hopefully the next update will fix this issue.

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I think Google Now took over that function, try this...

Open Google Now,

Hit the menu button and select "Settings",

2013-05-13_19-02-03.jpg

select "Voice"

2013-05-13_19-04-56.jpg

Now make sure the bottom option is checked. That's what seemed to work for me anyway.

wmg390

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried your method and I am still having the exact same problem with the voice dialer. That last update has sure caused problems with the usability of this phone. This phone is dangerous and needs to be fixed. Come on HTC, let's get this problem solved. We paid a lot for this high-end "smart phone" that won't do what an eight-year-old basic phone can do. I thought HTC was better than that.

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Schmuck. I tried your fix but found I am not even running Google Now. I actually called HTC technical support and spoke with Phil (866.449.8358). He gave me instructions to clear the Bluetooth database. It goes like ....
? To home screen
? Settings screen
? Look for APPS
? Click on ?all Tab?
? Scroll to ?Bluetooth Share?
? Click on it
? Find clear data button, click thru warning and BT will be cleared.

This did not work for me but I've posted it in hopes that it may work for someone else. Back to HTC technical support.

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Having heard nothing from HTC, I called again and spoke with David. He says that they have received a flurry of similar reports about Bluetooth not working after the last Android update. He says that there is "an incompatibility with the Bluetooth versions and that they are working on a fix." He adds that it typically takes two weeks to get a fix out and that means an additional week and a half from today (May 17). It will be delivered automatically by your carrier's servers.

wvchapp

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I think Google Now took over that function, try this...

Open Google Now,

Hit the menu button and select "Settings",

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220180/2013-05-13_19-02-03.jpg

select "Voice"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220180/2013-05-13_19-04-56.jpg

Now make sure the bottom option is checked. That's what seemed to work for me anyway.

I tried this suggestion last week, but it didn't change aything.

However, it seems to be working much better in the last few days. I get the voice prompt and the beep almost every time. I got an update to either Google Search or Google Now this week. Is anyone else seeing a recent improvement?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
However, it seems to be working much better in the last few days. I get the voice prompt and the beep almost every time. I got an update to either Google Search or Google Now this week. Is anyone else seeing a recent improvement?

Strange you should mention that. It suddenly started working correctly for the first time in months on my phone (noticed yesterday or the day before, can't remember). Keep in mind I only make about one or two calls a week, so I am not the best person to have a lot of data on it (nor timely data). Keeping my fingers crossed and yet not holding my breath...

RedBarchetta

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I tried this suggestion last week, but it didn't change aything.

Finally!! I haven't really used the voice dialing via Bluetooth because the main use for me is when its in my car dock. It still doesn't load the voice dialing when I long press the button on my earpiece, but when I would just long press the home key and get google now going, I would say "google" and it would take between 45 seconds to a minute before it would beep and show the "speak now" on the screen. Then it was hit or miss with the voice recognition.....that was up until about a week ago. Now, when I activate Google now, it's instantly comes on, beeps and says "speak now" and the voice recognition, while not perfect, is vastly improved. I do wish I didn't have to long press the home key to get it going, but it's way better than it was. Does texting very well and I can open some apps, like the camera, while hands free

beagle_boy

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This did not work for me but I've posted it in hopes that it may work for someone else. Back to HTC technical support.
THANKS!!!!!!! This was exactly what was wrong with mine. I had one heck of a time finding this in the "forest" of troubles that everyone else has had. Saved me from wiping my phone. In fact, it caused me to register over here in order to thank you.

SylvesterStumplethwait said:
Thanks, Schmuck. I tried your fix but found I am not even running Google Now. I actually called HTC technical support and spoke with Phil (866.449.8358). He gave me instructions to clear the Bluetooth database. It goes like ....
? To home screen
? Settings screen
? Look for APPS
? Click on ?all Tab?
? Scroll to ?Bluetooth Share?
? Click on it
? Find clear data button, click thru warning and BT will be cleared.

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well. I just about bought another phone but before signing up for a $400 S3 I tried a hard reset. I backed up everything first with Super Backup. As I expected it did not really back up everything but it worked pretty well. Google insisted on inserting contacts from ages ago but it did -- finally -- get the Bluetooth interface working again. That is, it always worked but Am again able to have it dial a number via my car's voice recognition system. HTC did nothing to help, It's the last HTC I'll ever buy. When I do I am cutting this HTC in half on a bandsaw and sending it back to the unhelpful bastards at HTC.