Repeating / duplicate incoming text messages

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been plagued with repeating / duplicate incoming text messages for several months now. Doesn't happen all the time, and not with every message. But when it happens, it seems to have fits. I can get the same message or group of several messages DOZENS of times at seemingly random intervals for hours, sometimes several hours. It drives me crazy. The only "solution" seems to be to call the person who texted me and then it suddenly stops.

I suspected it was not specific to the Evo LTE or my specific phone, even though Sprint would keep blaming the phone and saying I should take it in for service (which is not going to happen). It so happens two of my friends also have Evo LTE's and have the same issue.

Today someone with a Sprint Win phone (he must be the only one on the planet with one) *AND* someone with a Sprint Galaxy S4 both reported the same thing to me. They showed it happening in my cell (tower) but also reported it happening in other cells (as did my other friends). I am really pissed at Sprint's attitude about it, acting like they have never heard of such a thing and/or blaming it on my phone. And I can't get anyone technical to help or look into it.

So the question is- how many of you out there have seen this behavior?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Nope, never seen it before.

Nope, never seen it before..

Nope, never seen it before...

Nope, never seen it before....

OK, sorry, just had to. :p

Saw this once before. It happened to my whole family once. Affected all 5 lines. For about 3 hours we all received texts numerous times. We had a mix of phones. I think k it is definitely tower related.

Last edited by a moderator:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised the thread was viewed 273 times at this point and nobody else has the issue. So now I am thinking it must just be in this particular geographic area. Hmm.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I've actually seen that problem on three different Verizon phones and one AT&T. It's definitely not exclusive to sprint. I do know that on one of the Verizons using a different texting app for a while seemed to fix it. Could have been a coincidence but it's worth testing.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

AppleR112

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
@crxssi

No, you are not the only one. I'm in Brooklyn, and from home, I access the Sprint tower through an AIRAve 2.5. Needless to say that at least once a week, I tick off the recipients of my text messages because they receive the same message 5-6 times. Of course Sprint spreads the pain; their response comes in quadruplicate. LOL

I now ignore it,and, after 10 yrs of being with Sprint, I look forward to the day that my contract is up.

newgirl9420

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
yes, I have been experiencing the same thing over and over again ... It happens all the time, I can't believe it is a cell tower issue. I've been texting my sister all nite and the same message keeps repeating itself over and over and I'm not getting any of her new texts. I'm actually starting to hate this phone. I have the Galaxy S4 through At & T. just awful- there has to be a solution..

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
yes, I have been experiencing the same thing over and over again ... It happens all the time, I can't believe it is a cell tower issue. I've been texting my sister all nite and the same message keeps repeating itself over and over and I'm not getting any of her new texts. I'm actually starting to hate this phone. I have the Galaxy S4 through At & T. just awful- there has to be a solution..

There is- call her, then it will stop. At least for a while.
Interestingly, I haven't had any duplications for months now for some reason.

BMO87

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing the same on the Galaxy Note 3 with T-Mobile. Stock messaging app. I am utilizing wi-fi.

Posted via Android Central App

Chris Glahn

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
SOLVED ...
So I got rid of my repeat messages today.
I didn't want to hard reset, which was the final verdict from one support person (not technical) at Sprint.
So I thought, what's hard reset going to do? Stop services, remove apps? So after resetting the phone, I went into Settings>Application Settings and cleared cache on the messaging, and the Google hangouts' apps. Then I went into ALL and found running services for messaging, hangouts ... basically all the services running and stopped each one, leaving only my keyboard and services apps - the only two that didn't have options to close.
After all services were stopped, I restarted the phone.

I was consistently getting the repeat message right after restart, just as the external SD was mounted.
Not this time.

I got a bunch of missed texts, but not the one that was repeating.

WOOHOOO!!!!

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
SOLVED ... So I got rid of my repeat messages today.

I will try it but I am not hopeful. A friend with an MS-Windows phone has the exact same problem. There is not "messaging
I called Sprint last week, for the Nth time, and yelled at them for an hour. Got escalated over and over. They finally admitted it is a network problem and likely with my local tower, said they could SEE the duplicates going to my phone caused by an error, which they cleared. They promised a tech would call me back. Of course, they did not, and duplicate texting returned.

Zoe H

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I live in Australia on Telstra and I've been having this problem with my HTC for a couple of months. Not only is it annoying, but it makes my battery flat in a couple of hours. Just recently, my husband starting having the problem on his HTC too (also Telstra). So, does this mean it's a network issue or software issue??

trpcham123

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Chris Glahn... worked for my HTC One X. thanks! I went into Settings>Application Settings and cleared cache on the messaging, and the Google hangouts' apps. Then I went into ALL and found running services for messaging, hangouts ... basically all the services running and stopped each one, leaving only my keyboard and services apps - the only two that didn't have options to close.
After all services were stopped, I restarted the phone. Repeats stopped. Discuss this with your tech.

Karen Tewksbury

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have been plagued with repeating / duplicate incoming text messages for several months now. Doesn't happen all the time, and not with every message. But when it happens, it seems to have fits. I can get the same message or group of several messages DOZENS of times at seemingly random intervals for hours, sometimes several hours. It drives me crazy. The only "solution" seems to be to call the person who texted me and then it suddenly stops.

I suspected it was not specific to the Evo LTE or my specific phone, even though Sprint would keep blaming the phone and saying I should take it in for service (which is not going to happen). It so happens two of my friends also have Evo LTE's and have the same issue.

Today someone with a Sprint Win phone (he must be the only one on the planet with one) *AND* someone with a Sprint Galaxy S4 both reported the same thing to me. They showed it happening in my cell (tower) but also reported it happening in other cells (as did my other friends). I am really pissed at Sprint's attitude about it, acting like they have never heard of such a thing and/or blaming it on my phone. And I can't get anyone technical to help or look into it.

So the question is- how many of you out there have seen this behavior?

I have to say sorry first, but im glad i am not going crazy or as my husband says "its probably" the way "you" have set it up". But i have had my Galaxy S5 now for about a month and just in the last couple days the same message repeating over and over again. It is driving me crazy to, its gotten to the point where i wont check the message and it will be something important. How frustrating. I'm with att. So to hear its a tower issue is a little relieving.....

Last edited by a moderator:

gfjmcginnis

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem but I think the problem is with the sprint network and not the phones themselves. This problem only occurs with texts from one of my friends in particular. She has Sprint for her carrier. I just received the same text from her 6 times in the last hour and she said that she only sent it once. This used to happen on my old phone when I got messages from this same friend and since it is still happening on my new phone I know it is not the phone. My Old phone was an LG Optimus V and the new phone is a Samsung Galaxy Victory. My friend also changed phones. This happened when she had a Samsung Galaxy S3 and still happens with her Galaxy S4. My plan is with Virgin Mobile which also operates on the Sprint network. Given the variety of phone brands and models I would say it is safe to assume that the issue lies withing Sprints network itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante