Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't install 4.3 RUU on Windows 7 and 8.1

Can someone please help me out? I ran the RUU.exe on both Windows 7 and 8.1 and the install shield pops up getting ready to install and when the bar reaches the end it just closes and nothing ever happens. How do you get passed this?

Default Re: Can't install 4.3 RUU on Windows 7 and 8.1

I'm having the same issue! someone help plz

Quote Originally Posted by Adriel Romo View Post
    Can someone please help me out? I ran the RUU.exe on both Windows 7 and 8.1 and the install shield pops up getting ready to install and when the bar reaches the end it just closes and nothing ever happens. How do you get passed this?
    I'm having trouble too. This is my setup:

Computer side:
    Ruu downloaded
    Windows Vista
    HTC sync installed and running

Phone side:
    Plugged in via usb
    USB debugging checked
    Install from unknown sources checked
    HTC sync manager checked (not disk drive)

I then open my download folder on my computer and double click the Ruu. Like the OP stated, the install shield looks like it's getting ready to install. However, when the bar reaches the end, the install shield closes and does nothing.

Either I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    CM7 or a stock sense rom

Is this ruu only good for windows?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 Stable

i will elaborate a little better, my computer (windows 8.1) keep saying device has malfuctioned and does not recognize this device and automatically ejects the phone and stop the update
    Moto Q9C------->Palm PRE------->Palm PRE--------->EVO 4G------>EVO 4G LTE------>HTC One M8

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 Stable

okay so got it to work, and now HTC has just bricked my phone, officially done with HTC, waste of my damn time
    Moto Q9C------->Palm PRE------->Palm PRE--------->EVO 4G------>EVO 4G LTE------>HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by 92turbo2 View Post
    okay so got it to work, and now HTC has just bricked my phone, officially done with HTC, waste of my damn time
    wait what. im having the same issue as OP but what do you mean that "it worked then your phone bricked". I also emailed htc this is what they said

Please reboot your device into the Bootloader/HBoot screen. Slide the Notifications panel open, tap Settings > Power, clear the Fast Boot check box, and then power off your phone. With the device turned off, press and hold the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power button. Wait for the screen with three Android images to appear and then release the Volume Down and Power buttons.

Use the Volume Down button to scroll to and highlight Fastboot and then press the Power button to select the option. Please connect your phone to a main USB port of your computer using the supplied USB cable. When the drivers are finished installing, the device will change to “Fastboot USB.”

Please download and open the RUU and then click Next on the Welcome screen to begin the RUU installation. Please note that this will permanently erase all installed programs and data files on your phone; you will therefore want to first back up your files.

Please disable the standby and hibernation features of the computer and make sure your phone’s battery power is over 30 percent. Place a check in the box and click Next to proceed. A verification process will follow and then you should see information about your phone and a prompt to update. Follow the prompts to continue the update. Please do not unplug your phone, use the computer, or allow the computer to go into “sleep” mode; or your device could be rendered inoperable. When the process is complete, please click Finish to exit the utility and allow your phone to reboot.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 Stable

i cant do any of that as the phone does not have a image installed

the RUU said congratulations you are updated, the phone restarted and boom stalls on the HTC screen

I'm getting error 158. Says it's the wrong RUU. I tried using an older RUU and that doesn't even work. No idea what to do.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 Stable

got 4.3 up and running on my evo and man its speedier and much better looking than 4.1 IMHO

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

It doesn't matter what settings I try. Nothing ever works. Wizard comes up, loads and disappears every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    It doesn't matter what settings I try. Nothing ever works. Wizard comes up, loads and disappears every single time.
    Disable antivirus/firewall?

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Nope. Didn't work either. Thanks for trying to help though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    Again, I'm in the same boat.

I don't know why this happens on some computers. It took me multiple tries in 2 computers. I gave up, then on my 3rd computer (at work), it worked like a charm on the 1st try. Go figure. Hopefully someone will figure this out.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.2 Stable

I would take it up to the sprint store and see if they can flash it for you

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 92turbo2 View Post
    I would take it up to the sprint store and see if they can flash it for you

I did that but my local Sprint didn't have the update file in their system yet. They told me to check back Monday.

I followed those instructions to a tee, however, when I plug in my usb cable windows does not recognize it as my evo. Ideas anyone?

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    ROM
    chub-sac-Sense4.5/AnTHRaX

This might be an alternative for some: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50503236
    Device 1: HTC One (M8)/831C | Hardware Version: 0005
    Baseband: 1.08.20.0916 | PRI: 2.62_003 | PRL: 53137 | Recovery: MultiROM TWRP 2.8.1

Device 2: HTC Jewel/PJ75100 (EVO 4G LTE) | Hardware Version: 0003
    Baseband: 1.13.11.1105 | PRI: 3.02_003 | PRL: 56018 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.1.0

Device 3: HTC Shooter/PG86100 (EVO 3D) | Hardware Version: 0002
    Baseband: 1.09.00.0108 | PRI: 1.55_003 | PRL: 22100 | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Device 4: HTC Supersonic/PC36100 (EVO 4G) | Hardware Version: 0004
    Baseband: 2.15.00.01.15 | PRI: 2.33_003 | PRL: 40460 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.0

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I have tried to install several times, but I keep getting ruu "error [120]" low battery but my phone is at 100% charge
    I have gone as far as resting my phone to factory settings . I have tried different USB ports on my Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
    I have uninstalled HTC Sync Manager, same error.
    I have reinstalled HTC Sync Manager, same error.
    I have tried different HTC usb cable, same error.
    I have tried WinXP compatibility mode, same error.
    I have run the RUU in "As Administrator", same error.
    I have not been able to find any post with the same problem with this update.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Tried this

Quote Originally Posted by akwaris View Post
    wait what. im having the same issue as OP but what do you mean that "it worked then your phone bricked". I also emailed htc this is what they said

Please reboot your device into the Bootloader/HBoot screen. Slide the Notifications panel open, tap Settings > Power, clear the Fast Boot check box, and then power off your phone. With the device turned off, press and hold the Volume Down button and then press and hold the Power button. Wait for the screen with three Android images to appear and then release the Volume Down and Power buttons.

Use the Volume Down button to scroll to and highlight Fastboot and then press the Power button to select the option. Please connect your phone to a main USB port of your computer using the supplied USB cable. When the drivers are finished installing, the device will change to “Fastboot USB.”

Please download and open the RUU and then click Next on the Welcome screen to begin the RUU installation. Please note that this will permanently erase all installed programs and data files on your phone; you will therefore want to first back up your files.

Please disable the standby and hibernation features of the computer and make sure your phone’s battery power is over 30 percent. Place a check in the box and click Next to proceed. A verification process will follow and then you should see information about your phone and a prompt to update. Follow the prompts to continue the update. Please do not unplug your phone, use the computer, or allow the computer to go into “sleep” mode; or your device could be rendered inoperable. When the process is complete, please click Finish to exit the utility and allow your phone to reboot.
    ...and this

and still not working. Getting the same thing. Install shield pops up getting ready to install. Bar goes fully to the end and program closes and nothing ever happens.

Restarted my computer after installation
    Used original Evo 4g Lte HTC USB cable
    Ran as administrator
    Drivers of phone installed successfully and show up on my computer successfully
    HTC Sync Manager Installed

Still nothing at all
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Okay so I tried out my Dad's Windows 7 x64 computer and it worked for whatever reason. Didn't work for my windows 7 x64 computer, but worked for his. He has Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 and it has been running for years. My Windows 7 was a fresh install after I got a virus. After install shield was done it went right away to instructions. Had a problem at first when updating because my original HTC Evo 4g Lte cable is jacked up with the wires sticking out from being bent too much so I used my Asus tablet usb cord instead and it worked fine. Got scared for a second because while it was almost done the progress bar stopped moving on the phone and the progress bar looked like it messed up and glitched because it wasn't a straight bar anymore, but my computer continued to stay it was completed even though my phone looked frozen on a glitched unfinished bar. I unplugged and the screen went straight to the bootloader. Did a hard reset and the phone started up flawlessly. Now I am on 4.3 finally. Good luck to you guys. Your best bet is trying other Windows 7 computers if you can right now. My Windows 7 was built by myself and I installed Windows myself. My Dad's was one of those generic computers with everything up and running when you buy it from the store if that might have anything to do with it.

So basically i should try doing the update with various computers using different usb cables plugging into different usb ports, all while simultaneously praying that my phone doesnt brick. Sounds good
    chud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriel Romo View Post
    Okay so I tried out my Dad's Windows 7 x64 computer and it worked for whatever reason. Didn't work for my windows 7 x64 computer, but worked for his. He has Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 and it has been running for years. My Windows 7 was a fresh install after I got a virus. After install shield was done it went right away to instructions. Had a problem at first when updating because my original HTC Evo 4g Lte cable is jacked up with the wires sticking out from being bent too much so I used my Asus tablet usb cord instead and it worked fine. Got scared for a second because while it was almost done the progress bar stopped moving on the phone and the progress bar looked like it messed up and glitched because it wasn't a straight bar anymore, but my computer continued to stay it was completed even though my phone looked frozen on a glitched unfinished bar. I unplugged and the screen went straight to the bootloader. Did a hard reset and the phone started up flawlessly. Now I am on 4.3 finally. Good luck to you guys. Your best bet is trying other Windows 7 computers if you can right now. My Windows 7 was built by myself and I installed Windows myself. My Dad's was one of those generic computers with everything up and running when you buy it from the store if that might have anything to do with it.
    I struggled with my personal laptop trying to get it to work for a few hours, even involving HTC support via chat a few times to no avail.

I move to my work laptop and it works immediately.

HTC support suggested I try another computer, but they didn't offer a reason and I don't think they would have been technical enough to provide one if I pressed them on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast