Prepping an Evo for root

Status
Not open for further replies.

dspayde

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I am ready to take the plunge and turn my Evo into a real powerhouse. I have a few simple questions to make sure I do not brink it and create a nice paperweight...

Make a backup? Should I make a backup copy on my Mac and keep it for an emergency?

Are there any basic hints to root the phone from a Mac?

Thanks in advance, good Evo people. Viva la HTC.

MengTian

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Idk about Macs and stuff, but what do mean by backup copy? You cant create a nandroid or anything until your rooted. I just recently rooted my phone too. You love it. I did mine on PC though.
-MengTian

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am ready to take the plunge and turn my Evo into a real powerhouse. I have a few simple questions to make sure I do not brink it and create a nice paperweight...

Make a backup? Should I make a backup copy on my Mac and keep it for an emergency?

Are there any basic hints to root the phone from a Mac?

Thanks in advance, good Evo people. Viva la HTC.

For starters if you are on 2.3.3 Gingerbread then you can't root at the moment.

If you are on 2.2 still then you can just use unrevoked to root it. The link if for their wiki page which gives more info.

As to backing up. If not rooted then the only thing you can back up is what is on your sd card.

With unrevoked you don't lose any data when rooting. Just read and understand what you are doing and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: dspayde

dspayde

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site

If you are on 2.2 still then you can just use unrevoked to root it. The link if for their wiki page which gives more info.

As to backing up. If not rooted then the only thing you can back up is what is on your sd card.

With unrevoked you don't lose any data when rooting. Just read and understand what you are doing and you shouldn't have any problems.
Thanks for the info. Smoke - you were spot on with the Gingerbread call. That did halt my Unrevoked attempt. I wonder if there are any methods for rooting 2.3.3 Evos yet.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Non at this moment. Just about all people that were really good at finding exploits to root the evo have moved on to the 3D. Once that thing gets root I'm sure the evo will follow. As of right now there isn't really any talk of anyone trying to root the evo 4g.

Reactions: dspayde

jfstx1

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

why no root on 2.3.3 did they lovk the boot loader? if so can we do a factory rest?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Please read the thread linked above, and in my signature. You're answers are within.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.