1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    EVODeck

Default really want to try MIUI

So I think I wanna give it a go. Tired of doing the sense to AOSP thing. Looking for a different flavor.and thought of MIUI.

Questions are these:
    What is the consensus on this rom? Any good?

Cons:
    Pros:

What is the most current version? The link I found in XDA seems to be an old build compared to some of the conversation I've seen in some other forums. What's the best place to get the most recent build and then stay up to date on it?

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!

ROM
    CM7 Night/Tiamat 3.3.7SBC

Default Re: really want to try MIUI

So I think I wanna give it a go. Tired of doing the sense to AOSP thing. Looking for a different flavor.and thought of MIUI.

Questions are these:
    What is the consensus on this rom? Any good?

Cons:
    Pros:

What is the most current version? The link I found in XDA seems to be an old build compared to some of the conversation I've seen in some other forums. What's the best place to get the most recent build and then stay up to date on it?

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!
    Release 1.7.29

[BUGS] Official Bugs Report Thread [GB][Fresh Start]

Unable to download from market

Solution: Open the "downloads" app from your homescreen, hit menu, and select download using wifi network. Then hit menu again, and re-select download using mobile network.

No 4G/WIMAX

Stop Asking, its in the works PS Stop asking

The illegible text bug (3rd party apps)

Solution: This is due to the Chinese devs at miui.com slowly implementing the new UI.
    (using root explorer as an example)
    Go to menu - settings - programs - manage applications - root explorer
    Scroll down to "Compatibility mode" and toggle.
    This will make root explorer usable.
    This workaround may not work on all apps!
    It's annoying, yes, but it's what we have at the moment.

Screen flashing black/white when scrolling

Solution: Toggle compatibility mode for that app. If it's on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on.

No 720P video

Waiting for the Chinese to implement this. Or for CM to implement this. Currently not available on any cm7 or miui supported phone.

Some apps force closing i.e. Engadget, Mint.com, (tried uninstalling and re installing from market)

Solution: try running in compatibility mode, some apps are not 2.3 ready.

No FM Radio App

Solution: None Yet
    Last edited by blade111; 08-19-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Don't be shy....Hit the THANKS button
    Thanked by:

I have it on my Dinc and currently love it. I was tired of buggy sense Roms and not a huge fan of CM7. Miui looked very different. I'm running version 1.8.5. I don't love the iPhone look alike but using launcher pro really helps give it the android feel again. Without launcher pro there was no app drawer. Apps just load to screen like iPhone. It has been VERY stable and fast for me. Battery life is as good as stock. Haven't been using it long enough to tell if its better than that. I don't have 4G on the Dinc so I can't help you there. Hope they figure that out for you, as it really is a good Rom.
    Last edited by 318sugarhill; 08-10-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I love miui. I actually like the apps loading on the screen as you get unlimited screens bahahah! Also makes me organize my apps as I load them. I respect iOS and what it has forced others to do to compete!

why not buy an iphone? i was excited about miui so i installed it and was very disappointed it was just a iphone clone. so if u want an iphone do it
    Thanked by:

Had it for a weekend to test it out and really liked it. BUT, as the second post indicates, there are A LOT of issues that still need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
    why not buy an iphone? i was excited about miui so i installed it and was very disappointed it was just a iphone clone. so if u want an iphone do it
    It is similair to the iPhone in overall looks but given the fact that it can be themed in any one of a couple hundred ways that doesn't have to be the case. That combined with the built in functionality of the ROM make it miles beyond what Apple offers right now. There are a few bugs yet to work out but it was still stable enough to be my daily driver for almost two weeks straight. Given that I like to flash a new ROM every couple of days, that says something. Best way to know for sure though is to give it a flash and try it out. If it isn't your cup of tea, try something else out. Nicest part of being rooted is that you aren't stuck with one ROM. Just a heads up as well, MIUI is an AOSP based ROM.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

First of all, nice write-up blade. I've been wondering about this rom for awhile and you answered a lot of my general questions. RE: the theming...does anyone have any screenshots of the different looks possible? Running Synergy RC2 now but it's been about two weeks so you know what that means

ROM
    evo-deck 1.3d (2.3.5)

Follow this link to learn more. Enjoy!

Sent from Looney Tunes Central!
    If i haven't already said it, thank you so much for all your help, it means a lot to me! So thanks!

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

For the most current builds, go to miui.us. The builds are updated weekly and are built by stiffspliff. I agree with several in this post that MIUI is an iPhone look-a-like when you first download it, but afterwards you can add themes and lock screens that will give it a different flavor when you are tired of the current one. Also, MIUI has its own backup app and updater app. For the cons, it has a buggy GPS and still no 4G, But there is a new GPS fix out that has worked for me so far, and you can find it here: And one last thing, after you first flash MIUI, after all it offers, it is very difficult to go back to another row. MIUI is the most flashed rom I have on my phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    EVODeck

Quote Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
    I'll be careful how I answer this cause I'll try to be nice.
    1. I don't like ATT or VZ, I'm on sprint...hence the evo forum.
    2. Android with the MIUI rom is so far different from and iPhone it's not funny. I suppose all Motorcycles are exactly the same too...oh wait..they all operate with different bells and whistles.
    3. It would be closer to the truth to say that a JailBroken iPhone is closer to MIUI than vis-a-vers with the Anroid type functions you have to use for most iPhones that are jailbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre-dawn raid View Post
    First of all, nice write-up blade. I've been wondering about this rom for awhile and you answered a lot of my general questions. RE: the theming...does anyone have any screenshots of the different looks possible? Running Synergy RC2 now but it's been about two weeks so you know what that means
    here are a few threads at the Miui.us forums that will show you some sweetness. I usually just use a themed lockscreen and the vanilla MIUI. but there are so many themes available it's not funny. What's also cool is you can take the font from one, boot loader from another, lock from another, widgets from one, icons from another, etc and mix and match to truly find something you love.

What's also sweet is these theme changes don't require a reboot at all or a flash.

Most of the issues posted above aren't really applicable for me. I never really recorded in 720P because of an odd lag on my phone. Even when I was stock I had issues and always used a lower res. I don't use 3rd party SMS because I can theme the stock for whatever I want it to look like. 4G isn't available in my area so that's a no biggie.

GPS is also an easy fix just replacing and supersonic.gps.so file in the lib folder.

Here are your links homes!

lock screens:
    themes:

EVO Thread with some nice info as well as walkthroughs.

Love the rom and have been using it for a few weeks so far.