[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
[NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

Lets just jump right in!

[INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

6: install superuser from recovery (you must put the Superuser zip on the SD card first, before booting into recovery. Or mount your SD card while in recovery to take it too your Evo. OR, download it too your phone before booting into recovery :p)

YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
This is the master thread for rooted Evo's. ALL information is linked here. ---->HERE

Unrooting HERE

---->If you would like to use a different recovery or you just need to flash a recovery because you dont have one for whatever reason download a PC36IMG.zip of Amon_Ra or TWRP (team win recovery project) put this on youre SD card and boot into the bootloader. It will check and prompt you too update, of course, press yes. Done, recovery installed.

Android centrals root apps thread - http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...29-android-centrals-r-t-root-apps-thread.html

This is a guide i wrote explaining a TON of rooting terms and rooting questions - http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...fo-guide-rooting-faq-general-information.html

What is super user? Superuser app limits what can access all parts of the phone now thats youre rooted, protecting you from anything you didnt give permission too.

How do i move apps to the SD card now? Move apps to the SD card by using the A2SD scripts, or flash a new rom

How do i get rid of my bloat ware! Bloat ware=system apps. With root explorer, you can access the system/app partition and delete whatever the heck ya want!

Last edited:

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay I'm having a problem installing revolutionary its saying the reason is because it can't find AdbWinApi.ll file what do i do?

jalaazul

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Copy and paste the key to a notepad, but be patient. I had to enter the key three times. Make sure an "I" isn't a 1, make sure an "l" is not a 1, etc check for those type of things. Good luck!

I'm ecstatic that I'm rooted! I actually followed the youtube video on TheUnlockr. AWESOME AWESOME work! Thank you to Androidcentral.com, also. :-*

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You'll have to keep trying. I cant know exactly whats going on, just keep fiddling with it.

@tonay try redownloading. sounds like its missing an important ADB file.

Reactions: sstrunks5656

jcprunty

May 5, 2010
Visit site
im copying and pasteing it, theres no way it can be wrong..?
You have to run the Revolutionary tool first and when it gets to where it shows the serial number that is the one you use for the beta key....as soon as i did that it worked flawlessly!!:D

peabodyx

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
whenever i run the revolutionary tool, it pops the command window open and just sits there saying waiting for device. drivers are installed, debugging on, and set to charge only.

jmorgan3475

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone give me a little more information on how to get the superuser onto my device?
I'm done with steps one through four as the original post says, but I can't figure out what I need to get the super user from my computer to my phone...
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I'm excited to be rooted!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn