Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

Quote Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
    when i click recovery it goes to "HTC EVO 4G" than it goes to this arrow green facing down with circles around it than it turns into a red triangle with an explemation point in it.?
    when you reboot your phone does it show that you have s-off?
    EVO 4G ----->SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE next phone...dont even care!

it says s-on

ROM
    CM7

I'm having the same problem as zacky59 but my s-off so i would like someone to help me on this..

I will try RA or CW
    CLICK THAT "THANKS" BUTTON

Hi igotsanevo4g ,

I have a question for you, where do I need to download the Super User file and how do I run it. When I go to the recovery menu I see a 10 different options.

Thanks

I am still having problems with the beta key. I copied and pasted it into word/wordpad and then pasted it into the command prompt, but it still says "invalid beta key". I installed the HTCdrivers and did all steps that I needed to prior to this. Please help.

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by TomSawyerX View Post
    Hi igotsanevo4g ,

I have a question for you, where do I need to download the Super User file and how do I run it. When I go to the recovery menu I see a 10 different options.

Thanks
    I know I'm not the man you were asking but just put it on the sd card. No special folder or anything. When in recovery do this.

Install from sd card -> choose zip from sd card -> select superuser. When it finishes installing reboot.

so how long does it actually take for the "Zerging Root... this might take a minute or so.." process finish? It has been like that forever now...

ETA: geez, not only did I have to disable HTC Sync, but I also had to unistall it and reboot my PC. All seems well now though...
    Last edited by Jaysus; 08-15-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    dlphntat likes this.

I am still a beginner to rooting but I have rooted my EVO with 2.2. What would be the best way to get my EVO to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 if possible. I'm a little uncomfortable with flashing new roms but this may be my only choice.

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dswatson83 View Post
    I am still a beginner to rooting but I have rooted my EVO with 2.2. What would be the best way to get my EVO to 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 if possible. I'm a little uncomfortable with flashing new roms but this may be my only choice.
    Flashing a rom would be the easiest way.

Here is the stock rooted 2.3.3 [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers

In your recovery make a nandroid (backup), wipe data, cache and dalvik cache. Now select install zip from sd card -> choose zip from sd card -> your rom. If you want to have a walk through click on the link in my signature. It's my vid and it is straight through. No edits so you have an idea how long it should take.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    [NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

Lets just jump right in!

[INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

6: install superuser from recovery

YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.
    Amazing! I've been holding off on rooting, but now it looks like I may not have to.
    Planning on giving this a try as soon as I get home!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Sorry I can't answer everything guys, half because I can't be here 100% of the time and other half being I don't have an evo.

That said ill try my best, but this is a time for the root veterans around here help out beginners ya know?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
    SmokeCrawler likes this.

Have to throw in the positive story - using the instructions in this thread, rooting my EVO 4G was a piece of cake.

Thanks to EVERYONE involved! My EVO feels fast, snappy, and lightweight again!

I got virus warnings when I tried to download the revolutionary tool

ROM
    Stock for now

Because it's an exploit. Just turn it off until the process is over.

My Evo had 2.2 on it when I rooted, I installed a Custom Rom which now reads in software version as 2.3.3. Now, I know from past experience with my old andorid phone (LG Optimus) that this may not really mean you are on 2.3.3 (i.e. CM7 for non gingerbread phones). So my question is, since gingerbread on EVO is now rootable, should i unroot, update to 2.3.3 and then reroot or is there no benefit to it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edgarzonjr View Post
    My Evo had 2.2 on it when I rooted, I installed a Custom Rom which now reads in software version as 2.3.3. Now, I know from past experience with my old andorid phone (LG Optimus) that this may not really mean you are on 2.3.3 (i.e. CM7 for non gingerbread phones). So my question is, since gingerbread on EVO is now rootable, should i unroot, update to 2.3.3 and then reroot or is there no benefit to it?

Thanks
    thats what i did, i was 2.2 rooted and as soon as i heard the root was out for the new one i updated and rooted. there really is no benefit only that your phone is up to date

Quote Originally Posted by rcb213 View Post
    thats what i did, i was 2.2 rooted and as soon as i heard the root was out for the new one i updated and rooted. there really is no benefit only that your phone is up to date
    Thanks! Mayb'e I'll wait then until it becomes a must.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by edgarzonjr View Post

Thanks
    If it says you're on 2.3.3 then youre really on 2.3.3, its not just for looks.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

To everyone that is having the problem where your connected, usb bugging is on, and it still says waiting for device. Make sure you disconnect the usb first and then plug back in, for some reason the program doesn't recognize usb debugging when connected to pc the first time. so make sure its on disconnect and then connect again it should work

ROM
    Stock for now

There is no need to unroot just to re-root.

To be up to date just install the radios (use combo) and update your prl.

That is all with a 2.3.3 rom or better (exp. would be AOSP. Most are on 2.3.4 or 2.3.5)

But I'm not say you have to do it this way. It's your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    If it says you're on 2.3.3 then youre really on 2.3.3, its not just for looks.
    Right, I'm certain it's not just for looks, but like i said in the past I've used CM7 on Optimus S and the Rom was based off gingerbread, but the phone wasn't actually using 2.3.3, there was never a push from LG for the Optimus S, just the Optimus One I believe. The EVO is a completely different beast so in this case if you're saying that 2.3.3 is 2.3.3 even without the update then it is what it is. Just asking to make sure it wasn't better to update to 2.3.3 first.

Thanks

One thing I've noted about Revolutionary -- it does the S-OFF for my Gingerbread EVO just fine... but fails miserably at downloading the ClockworkMod Recovery when behind a proxy. And by "miserably", I mean "revolutionary.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" -- 0xc0000005 access violation. Something to note for future releases :P

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I'm an Android newbie (had a Pre for 2 years, bought the EVO a few weeks ago) and I was able to do this in about 10 minutes! Seemed to work like a charm. I copied the Nandroid backup to Dropbox, just in case and then installed Wifi Tether. I might mess with custom ROMs later but for now I was just missing the tethering option that my Pre gave me. So far, loving the EVO and Android - don't know that I'll ever go back to webOS.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

i am new to rooting, i was wondering if i can root this on a MAC, i noticed there was only linux and Windows download options, any idea when there will be one compatible for Mac?

ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by vwl5004 View Post
    i am new to rooting, i was wondering if i can root this on a MAC, i noticed there was only linux and Windows download options, any idea when there will be one compatible for Mac?
    I never been a mac user but in a couple post back one person suggested using a virtual window and intall linux or windows on it. Not sure what it is called on a mac but that could be your only way as of now until they release a version for mac. Don't know when that will happen

Edit: Sorry in was in a different thread. Here is the link to what I was referring too. [PSA] Rooting the new 2.3 is [ITS POSSIBLE GUYS!!!] 8/14/11
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast