Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 300
Like Tree33Likes
  1. #101  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeCrawler View Post
    You're welcome. With so many questions coming at once it most got lost in the thread. Well, to me anyways
    I just posted the question once on here but I tried other forums, but I understand that you guys have a bunch of question coming at once, guess I was a little impatient.Thanks again.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Updated the OP with stuffs.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  3. #103  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Ok, I have rooted using the instructions and all went perfect. Now, I have a few questions. It says s-off and I have the superuser app installed and the cwm installed. First, what exactly does the superuser app do? Second, how do I move apps to sd card that wouldn't before rooting? Third, how do I uninstall bloatware apps? I don't see where it changed the option to do any of that. I did not flash any roms, wanted to leave phone as is, exept rooting it. If I need to, guess I will. I am new to this, so any help, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #104  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Superuser app limits what can access all parts of the phone now thats youre rooted, protecting you from anything you didnt give permission too.

    Move apps to the SD card by using the A2SD scripts, or flash a new rom

    Bloat ware=system apps. With root explorer, you can access the system/app partition and delete whatever the heck ya want!
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  5. #105  
    SmokeCrawler's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Also, when using root explorer (or any other file manager that goes into the system) that you have r/w (read/write) enable. By default it's r/o (read/only). That can save some frustration.
    Thanked by:
  6. #106  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    After rooting my phone to get my MSL. I unrooted. But S-OFF remains. Is there a way to return to S-ON?
  7. #107  
    SmokeCrawler's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by jboy366 View Post
    After rooting my phone to get my MSL. I unrooted. But S-OFF remains. Is there a way to return to S-ON?
    You used Revolutionary to gain s-off? Did you run the 4.24 RUU to unroot?

    Sorry for asking but I'm just curious if their S-OFF is like Unrevoked Forever as you need their S-on tool to get it back.


    I'm not saying this will work or not so try at your own risk, but try unrevoked's s-on tool.

    You will first need to install a custom recovery through hboot and then flash the s-on. After that run the 4.24 RUU.

    http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forev...orever-son.zip Link to s-on

    If you don't feel comfortable then you can leave it off. It won't hurt nothing.
  8. #108  
    MEZOCLONE's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.3

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    When i open the .exe file it opens for 2 seconds then closes! Could this be a from a security setting or any idea what it could be?
  9. #109  
    SmokeCrawler's Avatar

    Posts
    1,293 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    It could be that or if you ever had HTC sync installed on your computer, that could cause it
  10. #110  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Superuser app limits what can access all parts of the phone now thats youre rooted, protecting you from anything you didnt give permission too.

    Move apps to the SD card by using the A2SD scripts, or flash a new rom

    Bloat ware=system apps. With root explorer, you can access the system/app partition and delete whatever the heck ya want!
    I have seen the superuser work now, and understand its purpose. I have always used ESexplorer and figured out how to delete the bloat apps through it, so that works. Just couple more questions though. To remove bloat apps, is the only option to remove them to delete the .apk, I take it you don't have to uninstall them? What is the best way to free up space on the internal memory? I have removed some bloat apps, but didn't really see much of a change in memory space. Thanks
    Last edited by Moose24; 08-17-2011 at 09:20 AM.
  11. #111  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    [NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

    Lets just jump right in!

    [INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

    [WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

    1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

    2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

    3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

    4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

    5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

    6: install superuser from recovery (you must put the Superuser zip on the SD card first, before booting into recovery. Or mount your SD card while in recovery to take it too your Evo. OR, download it too your phone before booting into recovery )

    YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

    7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.
    It accepted my beta key and it says

    "Zerging Root ... this might take a minute or so...."

    and its been fifteen minutes and I have tried this multiple times with the same result.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  12. #112  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by dlphntat View Post
    Running Revolution, says Zerging root, this may take a minute"
    been about 10 minutes. did I do something wrong?

    Finally got it to work, everything finally worked as it should.
    My next question, is: now what?
    Did you do anything different, or did it just work on its own.
  13. #113  
    dlphntat's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Edit: Uninstall HTC Sync from your computer, restart and try again.
    That did the trick for me.

    credit from
    Quote Originally Posted by Glex25 View Post
    Rooted finally woohoo

    Thanks for the guide

    Nothing against the guide here but I used this one

    [ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial (Windows) - xda-developers

    The only thing the guide here is missing is the step about copying over the superuser file before even starting
    Q: When I run Revolutionary tool it just sits at "waiting for device".
    A: Make sure you have HTC SYNC Closed and or Removed in order for this to work - Thanks @smallba
    Last edited by dlphntat; 08-17-2011 at 07:06 PM.
  14. #114  
    vwl5004's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    some quick questions

    I do not want to bootcamp my computer, has anyone had anyluck yet on Macs?

    would it be wrong to make a thread about rooting for mac? or should i just keep everything in here?

    and when it says install HTC drivers, does that mean on the phone? or on your computer? sorry ive never rooted before and just trying to get an understanding.
  15. #115  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    First I wanted to say thanks to the folks from Revolutionary for finally breaking 2.3. I follow Android Central daily. I have had my EVO since about a month before the 2.3 update. I wasn't sure if I was going to root or not but I decided to yesterday and it is def worth it to take control of your phone. For any of you having problems, I had to enter my beta key about 20 times before it finally went through. Once you get through the beta key portion it is smooth sailing. Good luck to you all and I am off to search for some great roms.
  16. #116  
    tazman1963's Avatar

    Posts
    153 Posts
    ROM
    evo-deck 1.3d (2.3.5)

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Wow! I gotta admit it's been one heck of a week for the good ol' og evo, to be shining in the lights once again is such a good feeling and to have been a small part of helping has made this a week to remember! happy flashing to all you evophiles!
    If i haven't already said it, thank you so much for all your help, it means a lot to me! So thanks!
  17. #117  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Is anyone else having dodgy GPS accuracy issues?

    And, if so, does anyone have a handy link for updating it?

    Thanks in advance...
  18. #118  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by RamjetFDO View Post
    Is anyone else having dodgy GPS accuracy issues?

    And, if so, does anyone have a handy link for updating it?

    Thanks in advance...
    Answering my own question:

    THIS ONE - from xda-developers - was recommended from a web search: xda-developers - View Single Post - [8-10-11][ROM] gingerbread-evo-deck [1.3b2][2.3.5 beta]

    I just installed GPS_Supersonic_FIX_Flash2 from the ZIP file - seemed to install just fine.

    First boot-up with it, locked on quickly. I fired up Google maps (with sat view) - walked outside, down the driveway - and it was VERY accurate... within a meter or two at all times.

    I'll check it out again on the road tomorrow.
  19. #119  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    [NOTE]This is a relatively simple process, being as I don't have a Evo 4G any longer things may be off a little bit because i cant test, so please feel free to correct anything that is wrong.[/NOTE]

    Lets just jump right in!

    [INFO]I'll have helpful links at the bottom for after youre done rooting[/INFO]

    [WARN]DISCLAIMER: Myself nor revolutionary is responsible for what you do to you device, it is at your own risk.[/WARN]

    1: Download and install HTC drivers HTC drivers

    2: Download the rooting tool/program revolutionary Revolutionary, downloads are at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter in your Evo's serial number (under the battery) and be sure to save the beta key. You'll need it later.

    3: Enable USB debugging (settings>applications>development>turn on USB debugging) and connect the evo to your PC as charge only

    4: Un-zip the S-OFF tool and run the program, making sure to install the custom recovery when prompted. (unless you already know what you're doing and want to put Amon_Ra or TWRP recovery on there)

    5: Download SuperUser and boot into recovery. To enter recovery: power off completely, yes battery pull while off too be sure, then hold volume down+power and from there go to recovery and confirm.

    6: install superuser from recovery (you must put the Superuser zip on the SD card first, before booting into recovery. Or mount your SD card while in recovery to take it too your Evo. OR, download it too your phone before booting into recovery )

    YOU ARE NOW ROOTED.

    7: (optional but highly recommended) Make a nandroid backup via recovery and then put it on the PC just to be sure nothing will happen too it.
    Can you use this method on a mac?
  20. #120  
    vwl5004's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatechip View Post
    Can you use this method on a mac?
    i dont think so, some of those files are .exe which i dont think mac can run (i am in the same boat as you waiting for a mac soulution) someone suggested running bootcamp (running windows on mac) but i dont want to really go thru that trouble cause ive never done that before, and ive never rooted before.
  21. #121  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    ok, someone please help, I am stuck at this point "Zerging Root... this might take a minut or so... it's been waiting over 30 minutes.
  22. #122  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips in this thread. Also, after looking over all the various postings on the net to root my HTC EVO 4G I found the following tutorial worked really well for me at Root for HTC Evo 4G Gingerbread is HERE! | HTC Evo 4G Hacks! but I had to do 2 things differently to get it to work which where:

    In instructions step #5 he says you can cancel the download and use the Revolutionary.exe program from his zip file but actually I had to use the Revolutionary.exe from the download on the Revolution.io site otherwise you get and invalid beta key.

    Also, one other thing. in Step#9 I couldn’t get the my HTC EVO 4G to see the seletion USB MS toggle as it just wasn’t there in the menu choices so I just manually copied the “su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip” to the phone’s SD card and then continued after that just fine

    I hope this info helps somone
    Thanked by:
    Kamin 
  23. #123  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by RamjetFDO View Post
    I'll check it out again on the road tomorrow.
    Following up on my own GPS radio update/solution - ROCK solid out on the road and still accurate.

    So - that seemed to work.
  24. #124  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Not sure if im missing something but when I go into recovery I don't see nandriod backup. Is there something else I need to upload?

    Thanks
    Kevin
  25. #125  

    Default Re: [Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

    Quote Originally Posted by kec241 View Post
    Not sure if im missing something but when I go into recovery I don't see nandriod backup. Is there something else I need to upload?

    Thanks
    Kevin
    best advice I can give (noob here) is to watch a youtube video on rooting with revolutionary. made it stupid simple. K.I.S.S!
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions