[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I can't answer everything guys, half because I can't be here 100% of the time and other half being I don't have an evo.

That said ill try my best, but this is a time for the root veterans around here help out beginners ya know?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

RamjetFDO

Apr 7, 2011
www.balettie.com
Have to throw in the positive story - using the instructions in this thread, rooting my EVO 4G was a piece of cake.

Thanks to EVERYONE involved! My EVO feels fast, snappy, and lightweight again!

edgarzonjr

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My Evo had 2.2 on it when I rooted, I installed a Custom Rom which now reads in software version as 2.3.3. Now, I know from past experience with my old andorid phone (LG Optimus) that this may not really mean you are on 2.3.3 (i.e. CM7 for non gingerbread phones). So my question is, since gingerbread on EVO is now rootable, should i unroot, update to 2.3.3 and then reroot or is there no benefit to it?

Thanks

rcb213

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
My Evo had 2.2 on it when I rooted, I installed a Custom Rom which now reads in software version as 2.3.3. Now, I know from past experience with my old andorid phone (LG Optimus) that this may not really mean you are on 2.3.3 (i.e. CM7 for non gingerbread phones). So my question is, since gingerbread on EVO is now rootable, should i unroot, update to 2.3.3 and then reroot or is there no benefit to it?

Thanks
thats what i did, i was 2.2 rooted and as soon as i heard the root was out for the new one i updated and rooted. there really is no benefit only that your phone is up to date

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Thanks

If it says you're on 2.3.3 then youre really on 2.3.3, its not just for looks.

rcb213

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
To everyone that is having the problem where your connected, usb bugging is on, and it still says waiting for device. Make sure you disconnect the usb first and then plug back in, for some reason the program doesn't recognize usb debugging when connected to pc the first time. so make sure its on disconnect and then connect again it should work :)

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There is no need to unroot just to re-root.

To be up to date just install the radios (use combo) and update your prl.

That is all with a 2.3.3 rom or better (exp. would be AOSP. Most are on 2.3.4 or 2.3.5)

But I'm not say you have to do it this way. It's your choice. :p;)

edgarzonjr

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
If it says you're on 2.3.3 then youre really on 2.3.3, its not just for looks.

Right, I'm certain it's not just for looks, but like i said in the past I've used CM7 on Optimus S and the Rom was based off gingerbread, but the phone wasn't actually using 2.3.3, there was never a push from LG for the Optimus S, just the Optimus One I believe. The EVO is a completely different beast so in this case if you're saying that 2.3.3 is 2.3.3 even without the update then it is what it is. Just asking to make sure it wasn't better to update to 2.3.3 first.

Thanks

Doktor Jones

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noted about Revolutionary -- it does the S-OFF for my Gingerbread EVO just fine... but fails miserably at downloading the ClockworkMod Recovery when behind a proxy. And by "miserably", I mean "revolutionary.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" -- 0xc0000005 access violation. Something to note for future releases :p

ryandye

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android newbie (had a Pre for 2 years, bought the EVO a few weeks ago) and I was able to do this in about 10 minutes! Seemed to work like a charm. I copied the Nandroid backup to Dropbox, just in case and then installed Wifi Tether. I might mess with custom ROM's later but for now I was just missing the tethering option that my Pre gave me. So far, loving the EVO and Android - don't know that I'll ever go back to webOS.

vwl5004

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i am new to rooting, i was wondering if i can root this on a MAC, i noticed there was only linux and Windows download options, any idea when there will be one compatible for Mac?

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
i am new to rooting, i was wondering if i can root this on a MAC, i noticed there was only linux and Windows download options, any idea when there will be one compatible for Mac?

I never been a mac user but in a couple post back one person suggested using a virtual window and intall linux or windows on it. Not sure what it is called on a mac but that could be your only way as of now until they release a version for mac. Don't know when that will happen

Edit: Sorry in was in a different thread. Here is the link to what I was referring too. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...s-possible-guys-8-14-11-a-28.html#post1180217

vwl5004

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I never been a mac user but in a couple post back one person suggested using a virtual window and intall linux or windows on it. Not sure what it is called on a mac but that could be your only way as of now until they release a version for mac. Don't know when that will happen

Edit: Sorry in was in a different thread. Here is the link to what I was referring too. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...s-possible-guys-8-14-11-a-28.html#post1180217

hmmm, thanks ill look into it, but ill probably just end up waiting for the Mac version, i figure i waited this long to want to root i can wait a couple more weeks or something.

dlphntat

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Running Revolution, says Zerging root, this may take a minute"
been about 10 minutes. did I do something wrong?

Finally got it to work, everything finally worked as it should.
My next question, is: now what?

Last edited:

Glex25

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary