Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HalizDad
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Default Sense or aosp?

Well i have been thinking about doing a new rom for my EVO and i am not sure of what the differences are between sense and aosp. I used to used cm7 for my moto droid and i want to try a different rom. I don't care if the rom has 4g because it's not available anywhere near me. I also am curious which backup tool would work best so i don't lose my angry birds progress ;-)

Sent from my EVO 4g using tapatalk.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,099 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

Default Re: Sense or aosp?

It's just personal choice. I am really digging on the r3chargeD Sense 3.0 ROM right now, but when I get sick of it, I'll flash to an AOSP and use their scenes, or one of the launchers to switch it up, or both. Everything is working on the Sense 3,0 ROM, so that's a huge plus. Netflix, WiFi, FF Camera, SMS, MMS, 4G, 3G, etc...AND the battery life is great.
    jamesrshaffer3 likes this.

ROM
    Stock for now

Like stated above, choosing which one to run is a personal choice.

The difference between the two is Sense is a UI built into the core of Android. Causing it to increase in size and tries to give a better look for the end user. AOSP is the code base all roms are started from and has zero bloat from manufacturers and carriers. This is why it is so smaller in size. While the stock UI isn't as nice looking there is less to slow down the system.

As for backing up your apps, you can use titanium backup or mybackup root. One thing I need to say about titanium backup. Don't backup system apps. If you back these up and then switch to an aosp rom you will get in a bootloop. Just backup your apps from 3rd parties or the market. I think there is a setting you can click for this in the settings. mybackup root from the start will do only the apps you downloaded. In the settings there is an option for system apps, but you don't need it. Wish TB did this as there has been many people that have done this and got into a bootloop.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Arctic Hd

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeCrawler View Post

The difference between the two is Sense is a UI built into the core of Android. Causing it to increase in size and tries to give a better look for the end user. AOSP is the code base all roms are started from and has zero bloat from manufacturers and carriers. This is why it is so smaller in size. While the stock UI isn't as nice looking there is less to slow down the system.

As for backing up your apps, you can use titanium backup or mybackup root. One thing I need to say about titanium backup. Don't backup system apps. If you back these up and then switch to an aosp rom you will get in a bootloop. Just backup your apps from 3rd parties or the market. I think there is a setting you can click for this in the settings. mybackup root from the start will do only the apps you downloaded. In the settings there is an option for system apps, but you don't need it. Wish TB did this as there has been many people that have done this and got into a bootloop.
    Pretty much covers it. I use TB and love it.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,099 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeCrawler View Post

Good catch on not backing up the system apps...I learned that lesson a couple of years ago. The hard way.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Is there a way to un-backup system apps?

ROM
    Arctic Hd

Quote Originally Posted by Quizshow View Post
    If you used TB to back them up all you have to do is open up the app, go to that system app that your previously backed up, click on it and hit delete. This will erase the backup.

You could use a file explorer or mount your SD to the computer andndelete the file off that way.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,099 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizshow View Post
    Easiest way is to dump the entire thing and backup the user apps again...like deuce said

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk