Rooted Now

smccue

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Finally took the leap and could not be happier. Now I'm ready for flashing ROMs but i am still unsure of the procedure. Specifically backing up in recovery where does it save the file and what is it called? Additionally how do i go back to my "stock" ROM if i dont like any of the new ones?

When wiping data do i loose what is on my SD card and contacts? I have backed up on Appbrain and google what else do i need to do?

I'm excited but a little nervous to mess anything up. Any help would be awesome...

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
If you use clockwork mod it saves the backup on the sd card/clockwork/recovery/backup. All ROMs should be stored on the SD card, and copied somewhere safe like your computer. When you wipe you won't lose anything on your SD card. If you have all your contacts backed up on Google, they'll be there when you sync the phone after the flash. You may have to download a few apps, but it doesn't take long to set it back up. It's like buying a new phone again. I leave my nandroid in the clockwork folder, and store my ROM's on the root of the SD card. The file will just be the date you did the nandroid, like 8-21-11 if you did it today.

smccue

May 15, 2010
Visit site
If you use clockwork mod it saves the backup on the sd card/clockwork/recovery/backup. All ROMs should be stored on the SD card, and copied somewhere safe like your computer. When you wipe you won't lose anything on your SD card. If you have all your contacts backed up on Google, they'll be there when you sync the phone after the flash. You may have to download a few apps, but it doesn't take long to set it back up. It's like buying a new phone again. I leave my nandroid in the clockwork folder, and store my ROM's on the root of the SD card. The file will just be the date you did the nandroid, like 8-21-11 if you did it today.

Thanks i will give it a try

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks i will give it a try

Yep, after you do an initial recovery backup (nandroid) just boot into recovery, wipe the system, davlik cache, and do a system reset. After that, go to the "flash zip file from SD card" choice, flash the ROM, reboot and have fun. If it's an AOSP file you flash the ROM and then the gapp file before rebooting...if it has a gapp file for it on the website. Typically the smaller ROM's (50-75MB) have a gapp file also.

tazman1963

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep, after you do an initial recovery backup (nandroid) just boot into recovery, wipe the system, davlik cache, and do a system reset. After that, go to the "flash zip file from SD card" choice, flash the ROM, reboot and have fun. If it's an AOSP file you flash the ROM and then the gapp file before rebooting...if it has a gapp file for it on the website. Typically the smaller ROM's (50-75MB) have a gapp file also.

For heavens sake make sure when you wipe you do each 2-3 times, just insures a thorough wiping!

Sent from Looney Tunes Central!

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
For heavens sake make sure when you wipe you do each 2-3 times, just insures a thorough wiping!

Sent from Looney Tunes Central!

While I have never done that, it may attribute to the reason I get different items (like sound when unlocking the screen) from time to time when flashing a ROM...The ROM I'm on now is perfect and nandroided...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech