I think I bricked my evo :(

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Long story short.... Was running the kings alliance "the breed" rom, was having issues with 4g, and was told to flash the wimax.zip, wiped cache, and dalvik, and flashed, went thru the process, and said phone needs to reboot to complete setup, so I rebooted, and its now been stuck on the update screen (pic of phone with green arrows) for over an hour... I tried pulling the battery ( i know.... but after an hour, it was obvious something wasnt right), and tried to get into hboot, with no luck... goes right back to the update screen...

So... am I really bricked? I have read that if the phone turns on at all, its not truly bricked, but have also read, that if u cant get into booloader, I'm S.O.L.... So which is it? I would have no moral issue with bringing in to sprint for replacement ( if not for their terrible customer service, and refusal to fix the issues with their ota gb update, I would not have been rooted, and messing around in the 1st place), but I dont wanna bring it to them just to hear, o you rooted, and blah blah...buy a new phone....

So... can I fix my phone? Should I bring it in to them? or should I just "loose" it and finally use the insurance I been payin $7/mo for last 2 years? Keep in mind, i think it will be a $200 charge for the insurance thing, so I'd prefer free :)

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't do anything besides goes straight to the phone and green arrows? How long did you leave the battery out? I doubt this but you might try and run an RUU on the phone.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Also to add, its insurance fraud if you "lose" the phone just to receive a replacement. Now it wouldn't be if you told them, hey, I bricked my phone, I need another one. Also it should only be $100 bucks. If it wasn't for so many people didn't commit insurance fraud that fee wouldn't be so high. Just saying.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
yep, straight to the green arrows.... left battery out for about 10 min,

how would I do an ruu, without accessing the bootloader, or the pc recognizing my phone?

as far as the insurance claim.... If I tell them I bricked it, they will not cover it...lol As I understand it, they only cover factory devices, in stock form... correct me If I am wrong.....
Also, I dont really want to go that route... I'd just assume have sprint give me one for free... as I said above, if theyd have just fixed the issues, or reverted me to froyo, when I asked, this never would have happened, so yes, I know my dumb ass bricked the phone, but they played a role in it as well.....

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
That is to replace the phone for free. You pay them that $7 bucks a month for a reason if something happens to the phone. It shouldn't matter if it was lost, stolen, broken, etc. Now if correct me if I'm wrong if someone has been denied a claim because of rooting. Rooting voids the warranty with HTC/Sprint not the insurance.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya, I do pay the $7/mo just for that, no matter what happens... but, even if they will cover my stupidity (which is what insurance is for to begin with, accidents, and dumbass's lol), Why should I explain to them exactly what happened? So they can put more pressure on sprint and htc to further lock down the boot loaders, or decide not to cover rooted devices anymore....
If it doesn't matter what the reason is, then it doesn't matter, and I'll just leave it at that....

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Pull battery, then put battery back in. Hold down volume down and power until the phone either loads the bootloader or vibrates 3 times. If that doesn't work, hold volume up + power after pulling the battery. Not knowing your setup I'm not sure if bootloader is remapped or not.

You're not bricked.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Pull battery, then put battery back in. Hold down volume down and power until the phone either loads the bootloader or vibrates 3 times. If that doesn't work, hold volume up + power after pulling the battery. Not knowing your setup I'm not sure if bootloader is remapped or not.

You're not bricked.

I have done this at least a dozen times, Usually I do vol down, but to be safe, I did try both, at least a dozen times, no luck....

Not Bricked sounds good, but how do I get boot loader?

Telperion

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Pull the battery after each attempt. Hold down the buttons simultaneously until something happens or doesn't happen. When you say updating Wimax, were you flashing a radio? If so, that's the one thing that can brick a phone, so if you were, you may be out of luck.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Pull the battery after each attempt. Hold down the buttons simultaneously until something happens or doesn't happen. When you say updating Wimax, were you flashing a radio? If so, that's the one thing that can brick a phone, so if you were, you may be out of luck.

yup, pulled batt after each attempt, I held both buttons for over 15 sec, and it always goes to the update screen (pic of phone with green arrows) before I even let go of the buttons....

yes, I was flashing the latest wimax.zip for the evo...

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
hey if you are still having this issue pm me and i will guide you to unbrick and also did you currently root your evo with s-off?

well... I'm not having the issue anymore... I went to sprint, showed the rep the phone, he played with it for a while, and said " the battery musta died while u were accepting an o.t.a. huh?" I just said, Idk what happened, and voila... I got a new 1 for free!

I would love to know the steps for reversing whatever happened tho....

also.... FWIW, the replacement is running much better than the old one, I was actually able to watch an entire season of trailer park boys(5-6 hrs) while the power was out yesterday (fake ass hurricane...lol), and still had juice leftover for a few txt's, and a few rounds of words with friends.... with the old phone, I would get about 4-5 eppisodes of t.p.b(1-2 hrs)., and then dead phone... that was with stock, or the setup I have now (kings alliance the brred, and less freedom kernel). I also noticed improved usb connectivity, used to transfer from pc at or less than 1mbps, now hitting 10+mbps...

I am running the same battery( all sprint gave me a new phone, no batt, no charger, no sd card), and the same rom/kernel as before.... so idk, maybe that phone just gave up on life...lol

I would def love to know how to fix whatever I did tho, for future reference... I have the tendancy to make the same mistakes, lol

Last edited:

nadachu

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
ok so im another dumbass who just bricked his EVO (stuck on white htc screen), im still within my 30 day warranty so i was wondering if i took it back to the sprint store and told them i was downloading an OTA and it bricked on me(even tho i have S-Off with a big Revolutionary on the line above) would I still be able to get another phone either from warranty or from insurance (happy i got that) without any problems. I dont want to pull an insurance fraud but after reading the terms and conditions of the sprint contract they "can" cancel your service for trying to root a device, and i dont want that to happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
ok so im another dumbass who just bricked his EVO (stuck on white htc screen), im still within my 30 day warranty so i was wondering if i took it back to the sprint store and told them i was downloading an OTA and it bricked on me(even tho i have S-Off with a big Revolutionary on the line above) would I still be able to get another phone either from warranty or from insurance (happy i got that) without any problems. I dont want to pull an insurance fraud but after reading the terms and conditions of the sprint contract they "can" cancel your service for trying to root a device, and i dont want that to happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you get into the boot loader or recovery?

Mistress of Mischief

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If he can still get onto the bootloader then hes saved. If not well then hes got a problem. Remember to get into the bootloader just pull out your battery put it back in. Press down both power & volume down to start up the phone into the bootloader.

moriyaz

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
hey if you are still having this issue pm me and i will guide you to unbrick and also did you currently root your evo with s-off?

hi,

i think i have done the same thing i was updating wimax, radio and my phone rebooted into the green arrow screen then i tried to reboot with power and volume up and down keys, now the phone doesnt turn on at all...
please can you help thanks

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

You're not bricked.

I had exactly the same symptoms he described, and pulling the battery and trying power-vol up or down didn't work. It would always just come on to the black screen with the green thingy forever.

Mr.Hans

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: I think I bricked my evo

Hi ,

I having same issue it just gets stuck at green arrow .. doesn't boot into boot loader or recovery .. when i press volume up + power its vibrate 3 time or volume down + power its comes to green arrow .. please help me to fix this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy