Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation AOSP, Kernals, and battery life

I am fairly new to this scene.

I recently got an EVO and decided I hated Sense so I went looking for a stock ROM. Light and fast. I have tried Cyanogenmod7 and Salvage Mod. The thing is, the battery life I am getting with these ROMs is awful. Cyanogen I was losing 20% an hour with the screen off, the phone untouched. Salvage Mod, I am down to 85% in an hour and a half.

I have read about kernals and how they can help with battery life, speed up performance, etc. What are some that I should look into using and how do I go about applying them? Is there a failsafe if its a bad flash?

Also since Sense feels so slow and bloated (to me at least) what are some other good AOSP ROMs out there? That have a little more to it but is not loaded down with unnecessary tools I will never use.

Default Re: AOSP, Kernals, and battery life

check out these 2 links for available ROMs.

I heard the Deck rom is good, but I haven't tried to root/flash my EVO yet

Android Candy: HTC EVO 4G Custom ROM List
    HTC EVO 4G Android Roms
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thats where I found the ROMs. Now just need to figure out Kernals, other ROMs that work well, and how to apply Mods like Viper, V6, and kernals.

Thanks for the links though!

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I'm new to root on Evo (tho had root on Nexus One for a while).
    Using CM7, Tiamat_Evo-v4.0.6-sbc kernel.
    Native CM underclocking max to 768MHz.
    Vipermod undervolting by 50.

Getting very good battery life (hammering it today with Twitter b/c it's Premier League transfer deadline day and will still get 20 hours). I don't play games much, but have gmail and exchange on push, use the web a bunch (esp. Google reader rss feeds), and of course twitter. Turn screen down to about 20 when it's not bright out. Important: keep track of WiFi and make sure you don't leave it on when you are away from your network. I know there are apps to do this based on location, but I just do it manually.

As for how to install, I just use recovery and flash from zip file on card. Nandroid backup first. Google instructions for Tiamet kernel, vipermod, etc. Not hard to find and generally spelled out step-by-step.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

That's because your phone is not charging to 100% on AOSP roms and sense roms too but the percentage is adjusted in sense roms to trick you.

In simple terms
    It doesn't charge to 100% because that's not how lithium batteries charge, they bump charge. Meaning the power hovers from 85-95%. So, don't trust those first 15% point when it comes to battery life.

You can use a superior battery charging kernel (SBC) to charge to 100%.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"