New to Rooting, how can i change ROM's..

mikearoni

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted for the first time last night and flashe MIUI. I like it so far but maybe late i might want to try another ROM. how can i switch ROM's?

jsgraphicart

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Im using the Eclipse ROM. Its the first one I used so I havent switched ROMS yet. I want to try the cyanogen ROM when it finally becomes available for the Droid X2 so I also would like to know if you have to do a full wipe and start from scratch or just clear data and cache. I think it depends on the ROMS and is probably always best to start from scratch. But Im new to this too.

rcb213

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
ok first thing you have to do is make a backup, its as easy as going into ROM MANAGER and scroll down to "backup Current Rom" it will send you to recovery and start making the backup (backup is if anything goes wrong your not screwed)

to change roms just go to recovery and just do these steps ,
Factory/settings wipe --->> partition wipe --->> davlik cache wipe( in advanced column) --->> install zip from sdcard --->> choose zip from sdcard and click on the rom you wish flash and install it. after its done go back to the screen where reboot now is available .

if it takes longer to start up its because its letting the rom settle in,
thats basically what you need to do :)

Last edited:

MEZOCLONE

May 6, 2011
Visit site
If you're currently using rom manager you can select download rom and choose a rom of you're liking and it will give you the option to wipe everything which you should do. Rom manager makes it very simple for someone who is new to rooting/flashing....Its great to have the option of refreshing an old phone or prolonging a phone you're bored with....

Pure87

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather not go through rom manager. It's convenient and all, but it doesn't always work as planned and doesn't always have the newest version of roms. Plus, it's not much harder to boot into recovery (hold the power button and volume down to get into the bootloader and select recovery), make a back up, and wipe data and the caches.

It sound daunting and a bit scary, but it really is much simpler than expected. Plus it helps to know what to do in case you get stuck in a boot loop and can't get to rom manager to reflash a rom. It's also a good idea to use titanium backup. It saves sooooo much time that would be wasted redownloading all your apps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikearoni

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I prefer not using rom manager, even if it is convenient. I have one question about titanium back up, I backed up all my apps before rooting and now and can't find anything. It wasn't alot but now I had to download all my apps again.

Sent from The Mos Eisley Cantina using Tapatalk.

Pure87

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
When in titanium backup, press menu > batch, scroll down to the restore section and select "restore all apps + data" and you can select which apps you want to restore. Did you use a similar method to backup your apps?

MEZOCLONE

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather not go through rom manager. It's convenient and all, but it doesn't always work as planned and doesn't always have the newest version of roms. Plus, it's not much harder to boot into recovery (hold the power button and volume down to get into the bootloader and select recovery), make a back up, and wipe data and the caches.

It sound daunting and a bit scary, but it really is much simpler than expected. Plus it helps to know what to do in case you get stuck in a boot loop and can't get to rom manager to reflash a rom. It's also a good idea to use titanium backup. It saves sooooo much time that would be wasted redownloading all your apps.

I agree with you, you should know how to flash from recovery and its a lot more simple than it sounds but you can flash from sd with rom manager so you're not stuck with rm downloads only....it was just a little safer suggestion for someone who is new to this whole thing but either way you should read and read some more before you go this route no matter which option you choose.

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com
The best way to flash is open Rom Manager, scroll down to Flash Alternate Recovery and Install RA Recovery. Then find the rom you like, down load it and put it on your sd card. Boot into recovery, perform back up, wipe data factory reset, cache and delvic. Hit return, flash zip from sd, choose zip and flash the rom you put on the card. then flash any mod's on top of that. then hit return then reboot. Depending on the rom, it may take 5 to 10 min to boot up, so be patient. Use RA because it does a better job of wiping out the old rom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC