Wipe / recovery for rooted Evo 4g

lovebug170

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi - after being on blackberry for so long and a recent switch to the android I'm still struggling to understand how it works :confused: - I rooted my evo 4g with the help of a friend -

I read the thread on wipe and recovery.. would like to be sure I know what to do. From what I understand my friend says we rooted and flashed to the stock rom using unrevoked. I noticed on the vid on the wipe/recovery guide, it isn't a good idea to do a wipe if I used unrevoked? I'm deaf so I cannot hear what was being said on the vid so would like to clarify.

My system memory is getting low on my Evo so would appreciate if I could do any kind of wipe to clean it out and start again. Let me know the best way to go about this.

Appreciate your help!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
What? ...... not understanding exactly what you mean.

Let me start by saying this. If you are using unrevoked, you had android 2.2 when you rooted. Since you used unrevoked you already have a custom.recovery, clockworkmod. To boot into recovery power your phone off. Hold down the volume down button and then press and hold the power button. Hold both until you get to the hboot. Give it a few seconds and it will look for a few pc36 files which wont be found unless you have a pc36img on your SD card. Use your volume down button to go to the recovery opition and hit power to choose it. It will now boot Into your custom recovery. Here you need to make a nandroid backup.

As far as doing a wipe.... You will need to wipe everytime you change roms. You can wipe at anytime and all you are doing is wiping the saved data for that rom. Its just like doing a data wipe on the stock phone.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

lovebug170

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear -

I just checked my version and I'm running 2.3.3..

I'd just like to be sure that if after I do the wipe as you instructed that the nandroid backup will restore the apps I have, I also have Titanium backup as well. Do I need to remove my sd card before I do the wipe?

lovebug170

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
What worked with 2.3? Revolutionary? I can't remember what we used to root the phone..my friend did it all for me.. not really my point here..

My question is will the nandroid backup restore everything after I do a wipe? sd card remove or no? because with blackberries we had to remove sd card before a wipe or it'd be ruined..

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
What worked with 2.3? Revolutionary? I can't remember what we used to root the phone..my friend did it all for me.. not really my point here..

My question is will the nandroid backup restore everything after I do a wipe? sd card remove or no? because with blackberries we had to remove sd card before a wipe or it'd be ruined..

Nope your SD card does not have to be removed. If your apps were on the phone when.you done the back up, they will be there when you restore your nandroid backup. Now if you go to a new rom you will have to use TB to restore them that way.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2