Help Rooting HTC Evo 4G from start to finish

irishguy314

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello!

Let me start by saying that I purchased my Evo in Feb. of this year and I love this phone (sometimes)!
Recently I've become somewhat bored with the phone as the shortage on internal memory has started preventing me to do what I would like to do or doesnt allow my phone to do what it's supposed to do (e.g. won't sync, can't update installed apps, etc.). I would really love to get rid of the bloat-ware on the phone to free up that internal memory and increase the performance of the phone. Plus free wifi tethering and customization of the phone wouldn't be so bad either.

I'm not a tech-savvy person by any means. I recently learned about rooting phones and *some* of the advantages.

I think I would really like to root my phone so I can take full advantage of it's potential, but I'm not that comfortable with performing the process myself. Also my PC recently turned to toast so I'm not able to do it on my own pc or time.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have someone root my phone for me and get me setup as well as ask any questions that I might have. I would be willing to pay someone for this help. Any info, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

stashu11

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I hear you and understand where you're coming from, but I would spend a little time on this forum snooping around before giving up on rooting your phone by yourself. There are a lot of step by step posters on this site. All it takes is a little time doing a couple of searches. I'm sure youtube even has a ton of "how to" video's tailored to your specific phone. As far as asking questions is concerned, a few searches will answer just about any question a person could think of. You can even post a question that's been answered a dozen times (sure you might get beat up by a couple as*hole posters), but someone will more then likely answer your question directly.
To answer your question, I hear that people on craigslist (and even ebay) offer rooting services. I personally think you shouldn't give up on yourself that easily. Spend and hour or two snooping this forum and I bet you could root your phone yourself (and learn something too). That's what I did.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Rooting has become so simple from a year ago. No more entering many lines of commands that was once the standard. All you really need to be able to do is follow simple instructions and the process will be easy. Revolutionary method is very simple to use as I used it for the first time on a friends evo with no issue at all. Don't know if you seen this video or not but I watched this just to see how the process was.

How To Gain S-Off, Flash a Custom Recovery, and Root Your Android Device (Revolutionary Method) - YouTube

Just use a friends computer or laptop and download the 3 zips that you need. Just follow along with the vid and you won't have any problems.

Reactions: irishguy314

Pure87

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a friend who can lend you a PC for an hour or so? I highly recommend going through the rooting process yourself, even if you go the one click root route. That way, if something goes wrong in the future you would at least have an idea of where to begin troubleshooting.

I would also install ROM Manager if you are likely to be without a computer for a while. Though it is generally preferred to flash a rom manually, it can be a pain to locate and download new roms using only your phone. ROM Manager simplifies the flashing process and has some of the latest versions of the more popular roms for your phone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: irishguy314

irishguy314

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thank you guys for the info! After watching the video that SmokeCrawler posted yesterday, I'm not as fearful of rooting my phone as I was prior to watching the video. The process seems pretty simple as long as you're correctly following all the instructions.

I guess the thing that I'm having trouble with now is, once I'm rooted, then what? This is the part where I'm not knowledgeable. I guess the questions I have are, what apps(bloat-ware) can I get rid of without messing up the performance or processing aspect of my phone? What ROM should I get? Which is the best? Someone mentioned a ROM manager.....is this so I can use different ROMs? What changes would you recommend?

This is where I guess I'm having trouble. Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated as is the info and help already given!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Things to look into before rooting.

Understand what a custom recovery is.

*Is basically a custom image that will backup/restore/wipe all your data. This is where you will also flash your roms and some other files.

Research the available custom recoveries there are. Know the differences between them (pros and cons)

*I use TWRP for the user friendly layout and it had themes.

Understand what a rom actually is and what it does.

*ROM stands for Read Only Memory. Its essentially what it says, it will only read this part of the memory. This is what makes your phone work basically.

Difference between Sense Based and AOSP roms. This will help you figure out what type roms.might be for you.

*Sense Based roms have the HTC Sense UI on it. Very nice and great Widgets but very plump in size so you lose some memory and battery life is subpar.

*AOSP roms are android to the core. Pure Vanilla Android. This will not have an overlay (UI) like sense on it. Much smaller in size so more room in memory. Battery life is much better. All sprint and HTC bloatware is gone.

Titanium Backup App will be your best friend in backing up things. Take a good loom at.what it does and.how it works.

Rom Manager is something I normally.don't suggest. Its better if you understand how to go I to your recovery, wipe data etc and flash your own from there. Flashing roms sometimes will cause problems with bootloops. If you get there yoy can't use rom manager and have to actually boot into your custom recovery. This is why I tell people to make sure you understand.how to work the recovery your self and not with rom manger.

If you check out AOSP roms check out Decks Roms. Its the best and most stable with everything working that I know about. Its based on CM7 so you know it is good. I normally run Decks but I'm currently on CM7 for the simple reason I love the new lock screen and it hasn't been ported to decks.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos