1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default noob at rooting

Hi everyone ,im new to the site and have a couple of questions for the pros . i had my htc evo rooted and i love the rom ,however,i dont want to keep paying someone 30 dollors to put in a new rom .ive never rooted any phone so i really want to learn how to .if anyone can guide me on how to start i would greatly appreciate it . android version 2.3.3 htc sense version 2.1 more baseband kernel version , etc any tips would greatly be appreciated and sorry for the noob questions just want to know where to start learning and again thanks

ROM
    Rooted Stock .246

Default Re: noob at rooting

This post will answer all of your questions.

There are stickies (the very first posts you see no matter what) that talk about rooting and how to do it, how to unroot, and the general FAQ which is where I sent you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ROMs! Be careful what you flash and make sure to make a NAND Backup before each new flash just in case anything goes bad.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

i believe the friend who rooted my phone used nand backup ,however, i was searching rom manager and heard its great and easy to use. is it ? and whats the diff between nand and rom manager and again thanks for the site ill be checking it out
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

my evo is already rooted ,however,i want to try other roms ,is it that hard just to ry diffrent roms and see which one i like best ? or do i have to know how to root first ? in order for e to fully understand how to put new roms

ROM
    Rooted Stock .246

Everything you need or want to know is in that FAQ. It covers rooting questions and questions about flashing new ROMs.

As for ROM Manager and NAND, all ROM Manager is is just an App that makes flashing new ROMs easier. You can find a new ROM through the App, download it, and flash it all through that App. The only problem I have with it is that the selection in ROMs is pretty poor, and a lot of the ROMs are horribly out of date.

However, that's not that big of an issue. You can still download any ROM you want (as long as it's specifically for the Evo 4G and not any other phone) from places like the XDA Developers forums for the Evo 4G, place it on your SD, then use ROM Manager to backup your current ROM and flash the new one you downloaded (Install ROM from SD Card). Just be sure that when you do download a new ROM to put it on your SD Card. Do not put it in any folder.

The other way is to flash through your Recovery which follows the same steps above (download the ROM and put it on your SD Card), however it could be more complicated for someone who is very new to the whole flashing scene.

NAND is... well all I know is that it's used to backup your current ROM and it's settings. If you want the exact definition, Google is your friend. :P

Just read through the FAQ I previously posted. It will answer all of your questions for sure.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

how do i put the rom on to the sdcard lol sorry but i just dont know .do i have to download the rom i want on to my mac and than put my htc evo with the usb and just transfer the file onto my evo lol thats my best understanding of this rom termonology

ROM
    Rooted Stock .246

Yeah, that's how you'd do it. Download it on your computer, then plug in your evo and put the file you downloaded onto the phone. When you do that, you're putting stuff, and taking stuff, onto the SD Card.

If you'd like, there's also videos all over YouTube that can visually show you how to do it. Be sure to look for videos that use the Evo 4G or similar HTC phones.

When we use the term "ROM" we are talking about the phone's OS (Operating System). Each ROM is a version of Android customized by the person who uploaded it. These customizations could be simple stuff like removing unnecessary apps and putting on custom skins (changing how the UI looks). These would be like most of your stock Sense ROMs. They can also be as complicated as changing how Android itself works by creating custom Kernels that will work completely different and allow the user the ability to do and control more (such as how fast your processor is while your screen is on, when it's off, and when it's charging or even controlling how much your battery charges). An example of this one would be your AOSP (created from scratch) ROMs such as CyanogenMod or Fresh. However! Custom Kernels aren't limited to just AOSP ROMs. You can also download a custom kernel for a Sense ROM that will allow you advanced control over the processor (and other things) which can potentially increase your battery life exponentially, or drain it in minutes.

In case you aren't sure what the difference between Sense and AOSP is:

Sense is the UI that HTC uses on their phones. They include widgets like that nice big clock, and others. In lots of places, people will refer to this Sense as Rosie and vice versa.

AOSP ROMs are as close as you can get to a vanilla (plain) Android experience. These will make your phone seem like having the Nexus One or Nexus S (although performance will be completely different).
    Last edited by psychofox13; 11-22-2011 at 01:20 AM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

i take it you have been with android for some time now lol its good thought cause you seem like you know what you are talking about =) .ive heard the nexus is a fast phone however i dont like the looks of it .dude thanks alot .the guy who rooted my phone will be showing me how to put roms on to the phone .is there ANYTHING I SHOULD LOOK OUT FOR ? that should not be on my phone ?

ROM
    Rooted Stock .246

Just make sure you're downloading a ROM for your phone. There are tons of ROMs out there, and there's only a few for each phone. If you download the wrong one, and flash it, your phone simply won't work. This can be solved by downloading a proper ROM and flashing it.

Also keep in mind to keep your phone's PRL updated and keep tabs on the ROM you're using. You'll have to manually update these.

For the PRL: Just flash any Sense-based ROM (I always keep a stock rooted ROM on my SD card for situations like these) and update the PRL like you would if your phone was stock. (You only need to flash a Sense-based ROM if you're NOT using a Sense-based ROM.)

For the ROM: Just check in every once in a while with the forum post you got the download link from. Updates are typically posted there.

It'll be a bit scary at first, but you'll get the hang of it. I was shaky my first time doing it, but now it's as natural as breathing. :P
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

so i save a stock sense rom rooted? and he will be showing me how to flash roms .i want to try the cm7 rom ,is the cm7 a stable good rom or not really ? would i need him to teach me how to root first in order for me to fully understand how to flash roms ?. lets say i want to root my brothers phone how do i back up his stock rom and stock sprint ads ? any input would be greatly appreciated .you have been lots of help man thanks a bunch

ROM
    Rooted Stock .246

At the moment, I'm not entirely sure. You do have a sense-based rooted ROM. This doesn't mean it's stock.

Well, you can't really "backup" anything from stock. Rooting will unlock the phone and allow you to use root-only apps. Everything will be the same as before you rooted.

With root, you should have gotten a custom recovery which allows you to flash new roms among other things.

CM7 is stable and runs very well. I love it. If you don't want Sense, I highly recommend CM7. GoWeather is also a great clock and weather widget. It's very similar to the one on the LG phones. That should supplement any HTC Clock withdrawals. :P