Advantages/Disadvantages of Rooting (Evo)

PapaNoHair#AC

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Since the CarrierIQ news broke I have, once again, begun seriously considering whether I should root my Evo. One final question though: what are the advantages/disadvantages of rooting? I understand I can then delete apps I do not want, but by rooting does it limit me in anyway? Thanks in advance.

Rascaldoc

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Since the CarrierIQ news broke I have, once again, begun seriously considering whether I should root my Evo. One final question though: what are the advantages/disadvantages of rooting? I understand I can then delete apps I do not want, but by rooting does it limit me in anyway? Thanks in advance.

Limits? None that I know of. BE VERY CAREFUL THOUGH .... I'm sure there is a 12 step program for us ... ;) I rooted my Evo a month ago or so and finally am getting good battery life and it is faster, and I am having fun trying out different Roms for it. If you decide to try it, so far I have tried CM7, Destroyer V.2 and MIUI. All three loaded easily and I had no issues.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
You could find this info anywhere. IMO advantages:
-Better battery life (my battery doesn't drain -AT ALL when I don't use it)
-newest User interface, I LOVE SENSE 3.0, I CAN NEVER GO BACK TO 2.1
-Fixes memory issues, no phantom memory drainage
-customization options with tweaks and themes

Disadvantages:
-Sometimes buggy
-sometimes features don't work (4g, wifi)
-hard to decide which rom is best for you lol.

I am yet to have a android phone I HAVENT ROOTED. Just do it

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problems are losing your warranty and possibility of bricking your phone. Those are the two biggest problems with rooting.

The biggest benefits are: free wifi tethering, no Carrier IQ on select roms, better battery life, overclock(make your phone run faster), multiple looks for your evo, having the ability to upgrade to the next version of Android before it is officially ported by HTC and Sprint, the best benefit in my opinion: the feeling of having control, of feeling smart for rooting your phone, and being able to look at iPhones and say my phone is better. But right now, I am running the new Ice Cream Sandwich rom ported recently. It isn't up to par with other full roms, but it will be and surpass those roms soon enough.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Take a peek into one of the many developer threads with custom ROMs and see what the people inside are saying :)

There are a ton of reasons root. For me, the ability to backup apps, with data, and restore when necessary is huge. The option to flash custom ROMs to improve upon the phones features is another big plus.

Everyone has their pros and cons. If you are out of the manufacturer warranty and that's been holding you back, then no need to worry. Take the plunge and come back to this thread in a few weeks (maybe days) and weigh back in :)

Reactions: PapaNoHair#AC

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Does rooting affect insurance claims?

No it does not affect insurance. I REPEAT IT DOES NOT. Insurance is for problems, no matter if its manufacturer or user caused. Bi sent my rooted EVO 4G back to asurion the day before Thanksgiving and already rooted my replacement phone. However I did make a nandroid backup of stock rom and flashed it back to send to asurion. But insurance covers dropping it in toilet. Why wouldn't it cover a bricked phone. If you drop it in water long enough it's bricked as well so if you're worried throw that sucker in the sink IF YOU do brick it (which is hard to do if you follow directions)

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Is there a recommended ROM with sense 3.0 that doesn't break GPS or 4G?

Evolved recharged is loaded with goodies or MikG 2.1+3.0 ( its mostly 3.0) only missing 3d carousel homescreen. Has all other 3.0 features and more stable than evolved recharged. Something to consider is internal memory. I recommended those 2 b/c they come with at least 300 MB of internal memory. Others come with less than 200 because sense 3.0 is a ram hog

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
My friend reported his phone lost for all that matter. Since there was no need to do any paperwork with the popo, & sending the phone in & u get to keep a bricked phone that possibly one day you will have the trigger finger to see if u can fix it?

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
My friend reported his phone lost for all that matter. Since there was no need to do any paperwork with the popo, & sending the phone in & u get to keep a bricked phone that possibly one day you will have the trigger finger to see if u can fix it?

Honest to God dude I have no idea wtf you're asking lol