noob question about rooting and cpu clock adjustment

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
just rooted. the main reason why i did was to extend battery life by underclocking the cpu. i am still running the stock ROM and used the "no-frills CPU control" app from the market to set my max freq to 998, min to 245 and governor to "on demand". the app says that the change was successful, but i read on one of the stickies here that i need a custom ROM in order to change the CPU clock. is this true, or did my clock adjustments work? is there a way i can check, short of testing battery life after attempting the change?

thanks.

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
U need a custom rom & maybe look for a custom kernel to go with it. My set up is decks gb1.3 rom, tiatmat 4.1.0 kernel. For the cpu setting i havent been up to undervolting & setting up the governors for it & since i use an extended battery the set up i have for my cpu is to about 1190mhz on smartassv2 & it runs like a charm for me & its very responsive with me. Then once it hits 50% it goes down to about 998mhz & so forth. A full charge will go about for an entire day with pretty heavy use. If i dont touch it the whole day the battery will go well into the next day. For new years i was at disneyland till maybe around 3am & when i arrived at my hotel at around 3:30 it was at 10%?

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info. i was going to flash the cyanogen 7.0.3.1 ROM. would you happen to know off the top of your head if this ROM would allow me to fiddle with the processor speed?

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks. so i flashed cyanogen 7 and was trying to restore my apps from appbrain, but it wouldnt work. i opened the browser and went to the appbrain site, signed in, and went to my apps. when i clicked on one of my apps to install, it took me to a broken link page saying the link was not available. what am i doing wrong? i restored my old ROM bc i dont have time to play with my phone right now, but i hope to be able to figure out how to get all of my apps and settings on the C7 ROM...

Last edited:

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
thanks. so i flashed cyanogen 7 and was trying to restore my apps from appbrain, but it wouldnt work. i opened the browser and went to the appbrain site, signed in, and went to my apps. when i clicked on one of my apps to install, it took me to a broken link page saying the link was not available. what am i doing wrong? i restored my old ROM bc i dont have time to play with my phone right now, but i hope to be able to figure out how to get all of my apps and settings on the C7 ROM...

Not much help to you, but I have had the same problem flashing Cyanogen mod 6.1.2. Wasn't able to reload apps, so used my Mybackups Root backup. Could not find the apps and lost the use of the phone itself. Killed the rom and reflashed. Next it was almost unusable although the phone and just a few stock apps were back. Restored stock rom and wondering what went wrong.

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Use titanium backup to make a back up of all your apps. Flash your custom ROM, sign in to your google account. Download titanium backup again and, restore your apps. Hope it helps :D

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Use titanium backup to make a back up of all your apps. Flash your custom ROM, sign in to your google account. Download titanium backup again and, restore your apps. Hope it helps :D

thanks for the info. problem i am having is i can't download anything. if i go to the market in browser and login, and i try, for example, to reload an app that i had previously, it says "installed", so i cant redownload it, yet i can't find it anywhere on my phone. i am sure i am missing something basic, but i cant figure out what!

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info. problem i am having is i can't download anything. if i go to the market in browser and login, and i try, for example, to reload an app that i had previously, it says "installed", so i cant redownload it, yet i can't find it anywhere on my phone. i am sure i am missing something basic, but i cant figure out what!

Try un-installing and re-installing the app maybe?

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
R u using appbrain for it or the android market? If its your android market then your best choice would be to reflash the rom. Be sure to do a factory reset & flash the rom. When u flashed your rom did you wipe both the cache & dalvik caches?

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
R u using appbrain for it or the android market? If its your android market then your best choice would be to reflash the rom. Be sure to do a factory reset & flash the rom. When u flashed your rom did you wipe both the cache & dalvik caches?

i was using appbrain to try and restore my apps. i then went to the market to just redownload from scratch, but it wouldnt do anything. when i flashed the ROM is did wipe the cache, data, and dalvik cache. i did not, however, do the factory reset bc i didnt want to lose my backups (?). if i do a factory reset, will i lose my backups? and if i do a factory reset, will the android market become available?

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset doesnt wipe whats on ur sd card. Whats on that sd card will stay there but all ur apps will be removed thats if theyre saved on the onboard phone memory. Use titanium backup to backup ur apps. Saves u time always when flashing... Btw have u tried decks 1.3 stable? Its practically the similar to cm7 but overall its better. I prefer it over cm7...

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
A factory reset doesnt wipe whats on ur sd card. Whats on that sd card will stay there but all ur apps will be removed thats if theyre saved on the onboard phone memory. Use titanium backup to backup ur apps. Saves u time always when flashing... Btw have u tried decks 1.3 stable? Its practically the similar to cm7 but overall its better. I prefer it over cm7...

question about titanium backup ... when i run a backup, it doesnt backup everything, only some of the apps. should i go in and manually backup everything, including the widgets and the htc stuff?

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
You dont need the widgets & htc stuff. Wont work with aosp roms if you plan to go to an aosp rom... Sense based roms come with all that stuff. Dont worry about the htc stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678