Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hello. I posted this long ago on the Hero forums and it was pretty widely used with much success. Same method applies to EVO (I have already done it).

1) Call sprint CS and get your 6 digit MSL
-Root users can download MSL Reader from the market for free and get this MSL code without calling Sprint.
2) On your keypad dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
3) Select "Edit Mode"
4) Type your MSL as the password and hit "OK"
5) Select Advanced
6) Change your "Slot Cycle Index" to the value of 1 (explination below)
7) Press the Menu button
8) Select "Commit Modifications"
9) wait for your phone to reboot

Slot Cycle Index (SCI) - You can tweak your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) to make your phone poll the tower more often. This makes your texts and phone calls come through quicker. This setting is a trade off between lag (most noticeable when receiving calls) and battery life. The default value on our phones is 2. Every step of 1 adds 1.28 seconds to the poll time, so at a value of 2 it is only polling every 5 seconds or so. If you lower this to 1, the phone polls every 2.5 seconds. This won't affect battery life much in areas of good coverage, but may impact it noticeably if you're in a poor reception area.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
FYI, you can get your MSL without calling Sprint. Download aLogcat from the market. Fire it up, press home, fire up phone, type in ##data#, hold down home and switch back to aLogcat and pause it. You'll see text in green if you scroll up a bit with your MSL. Its a 6 digit number.

Reactions: myswagsblue

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
FYI, you can get your MSL without calling Sprint. Download aLogcat from the market. Fire it up, press home, fire up phone, type in ##data#, hold down home and switch back to aLogcat and pause it. You'll see text in green if you scroll up a bit with your MSL. Its a 6 digit number.

Awesome. Will change the instruction. Thanks Rufflez ... I knew we wanted you hanging out in the EVO forums for a reason!!!

ronron23#AC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, It wont show up in the log for me.

Has that log method been tested with the evo?

Cause I clear the log, go to home, open dialer, enter the code, and switch back to alogcat, pause.

Now i see the log that shows my key strokes for the code, and there is not one string of 6 digit numbers anywhere after it. There are a few codes, alphanumeric, and a few that have 7-9 numbers, mostly 0s

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
sorry guys. I don't have an Evo, just spreading tips on what I've used with Sprint Hero... :/ sorry. It has more text than just the MSL, the total line is:
I/EpstBroadcastReceiver (3077): MSL Code=XXXXXX It will be quite a ways up.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
For some reason, It wont show up in the log for me.

Has that log method been tested with the evo?

Cause I clear the log, go to home, open dialer, enter the code, and switch back to alogcat, pause.

Now i see the log that shows my key strokes for the code, and there is not one string of 6 digit numbers anywhere after it. There are a few codes, alphanumeric, and a few that have 7-9 numbers, mostly 0s

same here guess this doesnt work on evo

No biggie guys, reverted back to the original steps. Just call sprint, they will give you your MSL. Enjoy!

Note to Rufflez: I cant wait for you to get your EVO later this week so you can take over some of this stuff. My girl has had it with me lol!

Last edited:

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I asked the guy at radio shack for my MSL code before I left with my EVO. He told me that EVO doesn't use MSL and instead there is a one time unlock code and it was printed on my receipt. The receipt shows a "OKTSL" code that is 6 digits. Is this true? Is there not a MSL anymore and it always needs an ever changing one time unlock code? I have not tried it yet. Anyone else have OKTSL code on their receipt?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I asked the guy at radio shack for my MSL code before I left with my EVO. He told me that EVO doesn't use MSL and instead there is a one time unlock code and it was printed on my receipt. The receipt shows a "OKTSL" code that is 6 digits. Is this true? Is there not a MSL anymore and it always needs an ever changing one time unlock code? I have not tried it yet. Anyone else have OKTSL code on their receipt?

1) He was wrong.
2) It's OTKSL (one time keypad subsidy lock)
3) Try using the "OTKSL" on your receipt to follow the instructions. Worst case scenario it wrong and wont let you in. Will take you 10 seconds to find out.
4) The MSL is a consistent number. Flash, root, do whatever you want, it stays the same.
5) You will need this same MSL 6 digit number each and every time you enter the programming menu

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
1) He was wrong.
2) It's OTKSL (one time key subsidy lock)
3) Try using the "OTKSL" on your receipt to follow the instructions. Worst case scenario it wrong and wont let you in. Will take you 10 seconds to find out.
4) The MSL is a consistent number. Flash, root, do whatever you want, it stays the same.
5) You will need this same MSL 6 digit number each and every time you enter the programming menu

Hope this helps!

I should have pushed him on it cause I figured it wasn't right. But if he didn't know any better, he probably wouldn't have given the right code anyhow. Thanks!

MrDSL

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah its a number for sure. I called Sprint and they gave it to me no questions asked. If they do ask just tell them you are testing a app and the program needs it or something.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk!

Sceleus

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That Otksl will only allow you to change the MDN (Mobile Directory Number, also your phone#) And MSID (not sure what that stands for off the top of my head) its for activating the phone on the network and nothing else so don't mess around with the numbers in there if you get into the menu. Probably easily fixed if you do, just thought i'd add my two cents. I work for Radioshack... Some people confuse the little bit that they know as superior knowledge then the customer possesses(My apologies for that). Thanks for this fix... does this impact sending of texts or just receiving texts on the queue in the towers?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
does this impact sending of texts or just receiving texts on the queue in the towers?

It would only impact receiving of text's and calls. When you send a text or make a call your radio instantly hits a tower, assuming you're in range of one, think push. Receiving on the other hand is a pull (technically poll) service. If your phone pulled 100% of the time it would die quick so to combat that, mobile companies have their phones pull incoming calls and texts at intervals. This is is adding a little pep to that. Hope that helps.

Thanks for weighing in on the RS confusion. I know the rep didn't have bad intentions but at that same time, I don't like it when an un-informed person dishes out bad advice. I'd rather them say "i don't know", than spew inaccuracies. You seem to be a rare one and are actually educating yourself.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. At first when I contacted Sprint CS, they refused to give me the number. They said, "Oh, we can't give that number over the phone." So I just hung up, called again and got it from another rep. All is good now, thanks again!

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I find it interesting that back at precentral there was actually a thread telling you to do quite the opposite in fact, to increase the number for faster 3g speeds and longer battery life.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I find it interesting that back at precentral there was actually a thread telling you to do quite the opposite in fact, to increase the number for faster 3g speeds and longer battery life.
This would not impact 3g speeds but people were probably raising the number on a pre to save battery (per the tutorial). I know the pre's battery life had been a sore point and raising the SCI to a 3 would slightly extend your battery.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This would not impact 3g speeds but people were probably raising the number on a pre to save battery (per the tutorial). I know the pre's battery life had been a sore point and raising the SCI to a 3 would slightly extend your battery.

Is there any way you could provide some proof? (I don't mean to sound defensive or challenging at all, please don't take it the wrong way) Because (and not saying this guy is right and you're wrong) the guy over at Precentral emphasized on the whole "increasing your EVDO connection". I just wanted to make sure I know whats what before I go screwing around with my settings.

The Default of the Slot Index is 2

If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28
seconds. If it's 1, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's 2, it's
every 5.12 seconds, and so on. MY guide's method Conserves battery life. However at the same time it decreases the load on the network, and increases battery life since it is polling the tower for an incoming call less often. This can help the EVDO Connection. You can do Section 2 as an option, try it out first and see what results you get!

as for me I call my phone with my Slot Index at 7 and I receive the call about the same time as the default. That's just me though.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The Default of the Slot Index is 2

If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28
seconds. If it's 1, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's 2, it's
every 5.12 seconds, and so on.

This is exactly what i said in my tutorial. So him and I agree on this point.

MY guide's method Conserves battery life.

Thats exactly what i said in my last post. He was increasing the SCI to save battery. So him and I agree on this point.

However at the same time it decreases the load on the network, and increases battery life since it is polling the tower for an incoming call less often.

I think what he's saying that because you're polling the towers less often, it uses less bandwidth. Because less phones (if every person with a sprint phone did this exact same thing) polling the towers less often, you decrease the load on the network, hence could result in better connection.

(quick note: keep reading because i completely disagree with him)
Let me explain it like this, lets say the fiber network that your home internet is connected to has 50,000 people and all are streaming movies at the same time. This would result in poor performance. Now imagine if 49,999 of those people stopped streaming movies .... as a result you (the person still streaming a movie) would receive better network performance.

I don't think he's implying that a single person doing this is going to increase your personal situation, what I believe he's implying if everyone did this it would provide an overall increase.

Here's why i disagree:
He's implying that voice calls and texts come through the EVDO network. EVDO actually stands for evolution-DATA-ONLY (emphasis is mine). Voice calls and texts are routed through 1XRTT, not EVDO. So polling the tower less often for calls and texts will not at all impact EVDO. What it will do though is save you some battery BUT also make your phone delay when ringing and receiving texts.

In terms of me providing proof, just do some research. I've added some links above but you can find links all over the internet confirming anything I've said :) . This is not a new method by all means. Us phone guys have been lowering the SCI for a loooooooooong time.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11