Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Exclamation Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

    Hello. I posted this long ago on the Hero forums and it was pretty widely used with much success. Same method applies to EVO (I have already done it).

    1) Call sprint CS and get your 6 digit MSL
    -Root users can download MSL Reader from the market for free and get this MSL code without calling Sprint.
    2) On your keypad dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
    3) Select "Edit Mode"
    4) Type your MSL as the password and hit "OK"
    5) Select Advanced
    6) Change your "Slot Cycle Index" to the value of 1 (explination below)
    7) Press the Menu button
    8) Select "Commit Modifications"
    9) wait for your phone to reboot

    Slot Cycle Index (SCI) - You can tweak your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) to make your phone poll the tower more often. This makes your texts and phone calls come through quicker. This setting is a trade off between lag (most noticeable when receiving calls) and battery life. The default value on our phones is 2. Every step of 1 adds 1.28 seconds to the poll time, so at a value of 2 it is only polling every 5 seconds or so. If you lower this to 1, the phone polls every 2.5 seconds. This won't affect battery life much in areas of good coverage, but may impact it noticeably if you're in a poor reception area.
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 10-27-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added "call sprint step back"
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 3:
  2. #2  
    Andrew Ruffolo's Avatar

    Posts
    3,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    FYI, you can get your MSL without calling Sprint. Download aLogcat from the market. Fire it up, press home, fire up phone, type in ##data#, hold down home and switch back to aLogcat and pause it. You'll see text in green if you scroll up a bit with your MSL. Its a 6 digit number.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    FYI, you can get your MSL without calling Sprint. Download aLogcat from the market. Fire it up, press home, fire up phone, type in ##data#, hold down home and switch back to aLogcat and pause it. You'll see text in green if you scroll up a bit with your MSL. Its a 6 digit number.
    Awesome. Will change the instruction. Thanks Rufflez ... I knew we wanted you hanging out in the EVO forums for a reason!!!
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  4. #4  

    Default

    For some reason, It wont show up in the log for me.

    Has that log method been tested with the evo?

    Cause I clear the log, go to home, open dialer, enter the code, and switch back to alogcat, pause.


    Now i see the log that shows my key strokes for the code, and there is not one string of 6 digit numbers anywhere after it. There are a few codes, alphanumeric, and a few that have 7-9 numbers, mostly 0s
  5. #5  

    Default

    same here guess this doesnt work on evo
  6. #6  
    Andrew Ruffolo's Avatar

    Posts
    3,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    sorry guys. I don't have an Evo, just spreading tips on what I've used with Sprint Hero... :/ sorry. It has more text than just the MSL, the total line is:
    I/EpstBroadcastReceiver (3077): MSL Code=XXXXXX It will be quite a ways up.
  7. #7  

    Default

    oh well then it doesnt work on the evo. At least not after I tried it several times.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronron23 View Post
    For some reason, It wont show up in the log for me.

    Has that log method been tested with the evo?

    Cause I clear the log, go to home, open dialer, enter the code, and switch back to alogcat, pause.


    Now i see the log that shows my key strokes for the code, and there is not one string of 6 digit numbers anywhere after it. There are a few codes, alphanumeric, and a few that have 7-9 numbers, mostly 0s
    Quote Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama View Post
    same here guess this doesnt work on evo
    No biggie guys, reverted back to the original steps. Just call sprint, they will give you your MSL. Enjoy!

    Note to Rufflez: I cant wait for you to get your EVO later this week so you can take over some of this stuff. My girl has had it with me lol!
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 06-05-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  9. #9  
    cdjh's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    I asked the guy at radio shack for my MSL code before I left with my EVO. He told me that EVO doesn't use MSL and instead there is a one time unlock code and it was printed on my receipt. The receipt shows a "OKTSL" code that is 6 digits. Is this true? Is there not a MSL anymore and it always needs an ever changing one time unlock code? I have not tried it yet. Anyone else have OKTSL code on their receipt?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    I asked the guy at radio shack for my MSL code before I left with my EVO. He told me that EVO doesn't use MSL and instead there is a one time unlock code and it was printed on my receipt. The receipt shows a "OKTSL" code that is 6 digits. Is this true? Is there not a MSL anymore and it always needs an ever changing one time unlock code? I have not tried it yet. Anyone else have OKTSL code on their receipt?
    1) He was wrong.
    2) It's OTKSL (one time keypad subsidy lock)
    3) Try using the "OTKSL" on your receipt to follow the instructions. Worst case scenario it wrong and wont let you in. Will take you 10 seconds to find out.
    4) The MSL is a consistent number. Flash, root, do whatever you want, it stays the same.
    5) You will need this same MSL 6 digit number each and every time you enter the programming menu

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 06-10-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Corrected "key" to "keypad"
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  11. #11  
    cdjh's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    1) He was wrong.
    2) It's OTKSL (one time key subsidy lock)
    3) Try using the "OTKSL" on your receipt to follow the instructions. Worst case scenario it wrong and wont let you in. Will take you 10 seconds to find out.
    4) The MSL is a consistent number. Flash, root, do whatever you want, it stays the same.
    5) You will need this same MSL 6 digit number each and every time you enter the programming menu

    Hope this helps!
    I should have pushed him on it cause I figured it wasn't right. But if he didn't know any better, he probably wouldn't have given the right code anyhow. Thanks!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

    Yeah its a number for sure. I called Sprint and they gave it to me no questions asked. If they do ask just tell them you are testing a app and the program needs it or something.

    Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk!
  13. #13  

    Default

    That Otksl will only allow you to change the MDN (Mobile Directory Number, also your phone#) And MSID (not sure what that stands for off the top of my head) its for activating the phone on the network and nothing else so don't mess around with the numbers in there if you get into the menu. Probably easily fixed if you do, just thought i'd add my two cents. I work for Radioshack... Some people confuse the little bit that they know as superior knowledge then the customer possesses(My apologies for that). Thanks for this fix... does this impact sending of texts or just receiving texts on the queue in the towers?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sceleus View Post
    does this impact sending of texts or just receiving texts on the queue in the towers?
    It would only impact receiving of text's and calls. When you send a text or make a call your radio instantly hits a tower, assuming you're in range of one, think push. Receiving on the other hand is a pull (technically poll) service. If your phone pulled 100% of the time it would die quick so to combat that, mobile companies have their phones pull incoming calls and texts at intervals. This is is adding a little pep to that. Hope that helps.

    Thanks for weighing in on the RS confusion. I know the rep didn't have bad intentions but at that same time, I don't like it when an un-informed person dishes out bad advice. I'd rather them say "i don't know", than spew inaccuracies. You seem to be a rare one and are actually educating yourself.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  15. #15  
    pirarre's Avatar

    Posts
    428 Posts
    Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the tip. At first when I contacted Sprint CS, they refused to give me the number. They said, "Oh, we can't give that number over the phone." So I just hung up, called again and got it from another rep. All is good now, thanks again!
  16. #16  

    Default

    I find it interesting that back at precentral there was actually a thread telling you to do quite the opposite in fact, to increase the number for faster 3g speeds and longer battery life.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    I find it interesting that back at precentral there was actually a thread telling you to do quite the opposite in fact, to increase the number for faster 3g speeds and longer battery life.
    This would not impact 3g speeds but people were probably raising the number on a pre to save battery (per the tutorial). I know the pre's battery life had been a sore point and raising the SCI to a 3 would slightly extend your battery.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    This would not impact 3g speeds but people were probably raising the number on a pre to save battery (per the tutorial). I know the pre's battery life had been a sore point and raising the SCI to a 3 would slightly extend your battery.
    Is there any way you could provide some proof? (I don't mean to sound defensive or challenging at all, please don't take it the wrong way) Because (and not saying this guy is right and you're wrong) the guy over at Precentral emphasized on the whole "increasing your EVDO connection". I just wanted to make sure I know whats what before I go screwing around with my settings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabarcorp View Post
    The Default of the Slot Index is 2

    If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28
    seconds. If it's 1, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's 2, it's
    every 5.12 seconds, and so on. MY guide's method Conserves battery life. However at the same time it decreases the load on the network, and increases battery life since it is polling the tower for an incoming call less often. This can help the EVDO Connection. You can do Section 2 as an option, try it out first and see what results you get!

    as for me I call my phone with my Slot Index at 7 and I receive the call about the same time as the default. That's just me though.
    Last edited by Rudementry; 06-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    The Default of the Slot Index is 2

    If the slot cycle index is 0, the phone wakes up every 1.28
    seconds. If it's 1, it wakes up every 2.56 seconds. If it's 2, it's
    every 5.12 seconds, and so on.
    This is exactly what i said in my tutorial. So him and I agree on this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    MY guide's method Conserves battery life.
    Thats exactly what i said in my last post. He was increasing the SCI to save battery. So him and I agree on this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    However at the same time it decreases the load on the network, and increases battery life since it is polling the tower for an incoming call less often.
    I think what he's saying that because you're polling the towers less often, it uses less bandwidth. Because less phones (if every person with a sprint phone did this exact same thing) polling the towers less often, you decrease the load on the network, hence could result in better connection.

    (quick note: keep reading because i completely disagree with him)
    Let me explain it like this, lets say the fiber network that your home internet is connected to has 50,000 people and all are streaming movies at the same time. This would result in poor performance. Now imagine if 49,999 of those people stopped streaming movies .... as a result you (the person still streaming a movie) would receive better network performance.

    I don't think he's implying that a single person doing this is going to increase your personal situation, what I believe he's implying if everyone did this it would provide an overall increase.

    Here's why i disagree:
    He's implying that voice calls and texts come through the EVDO network. EVDO actually stands for evolution-DATA-ONLY (emphasis is mine). Voice calls and texts are routed through 1XRTT, not EVDO. So polling the tower less often for calls and texts will not at all impact EVDO. What it will do though is save you some battery BUT also make your phone delay when ringing and receiving texts.

    In terms of me providing proof, just do some research. I've added some links above but you can find links all over the internet confirming anything I've said . This is not a new method by all means. Us phone guys have been lowering the SCI for a loooooooooong time.

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 06-13-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by:
  20. #20  
    spidy's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

    Default

    Doesn't work in froyo
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

    Quote Originally Posted by spidyspidey View Post
    Doesn't work in froyo
    Well yes and no .... if you want to adjust the SCI you need to do it in a ROM that's built using Sprints software. Once you do that you can flash froyo and it would stay put although there is no way to verify this. I can verify though that flashing ROMs doesn't change ACCOLC or SCI back to the old value.

    You should keep in mind this programming menu you are accessing is specific to Sprint. Because the ROM you are flashing is based off froyo, which is based off an AT&T/T-Mobile phone, this programming menu will not be there. Now when the official EVO froyo drops it will have the programming menu.

    Hope this helps.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by:
    spidy 
  22. #22  

    Default

    thread jack:

    your evo is JIT enabled? and you have full flash? whaaaa?
  23. #23  
    spidy's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Well yes and no .... if you want to adjust the SCI you need to do it in a ROM that's built using Sprints software. Once you do that you can flash froyo and it would stay put although there is no way to verify this. I can verify though that flashing ROMs doesn't change ACCOLC or SCI back to the old value.

    You should keep in mind this programming menu you are accessing is specific to Sprint. Because the ROM you are flashing is based off froyo, which is based off an AT&T/T-Mobile phone, this programming menu will not be there. Now when the official EVO froyo drops it will have the programming menu.

    Hope this helps.
    I did adjust before I started using Froyo so it should be working.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

    Quote Originally Posted by UTnick View Post
    thread jack:

    your evo is JIT enabled? and you have full flash? whaaaa?
    Ha ha yeah. Sounds more fun than it really is because I don't game on here but It's cool showing it off to my buddies.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

Posting Permissions