CM7 non-gmail/FB contacts missing

dougefresh_

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm brand new to rooting, roms, etc. I used gingerbread root 2.3.3, and made a back up before going to CM7 (I also exported my gmail contacts to my laptop, and copied my entire SD card to a folder on my desktop for good measure, lol). All seemed well on CM7... I installed gapps files fine, syched gmail & FB, and got all those contacts back. But I'm still missing a bunch of numbers that don't fall under gmail or FB (one's I just 'plugged in'). What's odd is it's mostly numbers I added in the past year it seems, idk. It's also people I call a lot.

I read this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/130743-cm7-contacts-missing.html

And have no problem following it, but I've already done some stuff on CM7, and I'm weary of the back up process. What is the best way to 'prepare' for going back to my 'backup rom,' getting these missing contacts, and then coming back to CM7 with all my stuff intact (apps, theme, etc)?

TIA,

Doug

PS. Is there any dialer app (free or $) that is like the stock one for the Evo 4G? The only thing I miss on CM7 (besides some contacts) is it doing a universal search by first or last name as I type, and going to the most frequently called ones first. I have 732 people in there now (no clue who most are) so this was extremely helpful, and only took 3 letters to pull up the right person. Now calling people is a nightmare, even w/ favorites.

dougefresh_

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So I backed up CM7, and restored my backup to gingerbread 2.3.3. All my contacts are back now. I had to uninstall synch to root the phone iirc. I'm not sure I can use that to bring all my contacts back to CM7? What's the best way to bring my non-gmail/FB contacts into CM7?

I'm not sure if I need update CM7 to a newer version.. I'm running an official release CM7.1.0 Supersonic from here [ROM] CyanogenMod 7 for the HTC Evo 4G :: V7.1.0 (9 Oct 2011) - xda-developers. I assume that one is dated as it's release date was 10/2011.

I also had CM7 freeze up several times using certain apps (have tried fixing permissions) to the point where I had to pop out the battery as the power button did nothing. Is this normal? If a newer version is out there, a link would be appreciated... I'm new to this and it took me forever to find the one I'm running now.

Thanks

dougefresh_

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
PS. Is there any dialer app (free or $) that is like the stock one for the Evo 4G? The only thing I miss on CM7 (besides some contacts) is it doing a universal search by first or last name as I type, and going to the most frequently called ones first. I have 732 people in there now (no clue who most are) so this was extremely helpful, and only took 3 letters to pull up the right person. Now calling people is a nightmare, even w/ favorites.

Answering my own Question... I found this new dialer app (not sure how new) called "Dialer One" for CM7... it does the look up function that the stock rom has, which was exactly what I was looking for!

I had been on gingerbread for awhile (just to keep that stock dialer), but recently it had been getting AFU. I think I accidently let it do some 'regular' updates to the phone, and I'd drop calls after 1 minutes. So, I hunted down that dialer app, and I'm back on CM7 and loving it.

It's been freezing a bit, and I've been using "fix permissions"... we'll see what happens.

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I know it's a little late, but I recommend keeping your contacts on your phone synced with gmail at all times, or at the very least, right before you flash a new rom. Then after flashing, they will re-sync. Sorry no one replied.

It might be too late for you now, but I would recommend taking a look at a CM7.2 kang for the Evo. I'm running it on my daily driver, mainly because I also missed the T9 predictive dialer, and this has it built in, along with some other nice fixes and mods. Just google for it.

dougefresh_

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I know it's a little late, but I recommend keeping your contacts on your phone synced with gmail at all times, or at the very least, right before you flash a new rom. Then after flashing, they will re-sync. Sorry no one replied.

It might be too late for you now, but I would recommend taking a look at a CM7.2 kang for the Evo. I'm running it on my daily driver, mainly because I also missed the T9 predictive dialer, and this has it built in, along with some other nice fixes and mods. Just google for it.

Right on! Thanks for the tip CM7 is giving me all kinds of for some reason... freezing (tried fixing permissions) and I cannot text out. I'm a noob at super busy atm, so I don't have a ton of time to be messing with it. Perhaps a fresh ROM is in order.

Whenever I revert back to the 'stock' gingerbread root, all my contacts are there. I copied my SD card to my desktop, but I'm not sure where contacts are that are not gmail or FB (I haven't had time to look yet, lol).

Anything updates to CM7.2 out there I should seek out? I'm tired of the instability issues. Can I get kang from the xda developer's site?

Thanks again! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay