How-To : Removing sprint bloatware (with root)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Will do. I'm not going to be able to pull what all of the stock stuff since I am running the RvU1.3.1. It is pretty striped. I wish I would of done that before I custom rom'ed this thing. Oh well, but I will get the write up done here in a little while. Sorry for miss understanding you last night on the posts over in the RvU thread. It was a long day, and I was missing things. That is why I didn't work on the write up last night since I know it would of had to been edited more than it was worth.

lol no problem. If you want all the APK's from a stock ROM download any of the stock ZIP's onto your PC and pull them from the system/app directory. No need to do it from your phone ;)

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes it did.

Dom, do the same thing with the other two files now. That will get you the widget. I don't use the widget so didn't install that. I just wanted the calendar to update, and the contacts. I use regular facebook for everything else.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey all,

Just wanted to let everyone know the instructions on the main page now include a link to a ZIP file that has all the apk's and odex's from a stock EVO system/app. This can be used in the event you skipped step 2, which i highly recommend you don't skip step 2. Also are instructions on how to push the files back to the device (thanks Saepak).

I hope to have a solid list of app's you can remove without impact, by the end of the weekend. I have been very busy in my personal life and trying to strike a balance between playing with my EVO, work, and hanging with my girlfriend. Thanks for your patience!

bobdude5

May 17, 2010
Visit site
idk if anybody mentioned this but you could titanium backup to remove all this stuff too along with anyother system app you want..just click on it and then click uninstall

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
idk if anybody mentioned this but you could titanium backup to remove all this stuff too along with anyother system app you want..just click on it and then click uninstall

That doesn't work. Sorry.

These apps are in system/app which is read only. You cant write (remove) anything unless the phone is in recovery, hence the SDK, hence the script.

Edit - Just wanted to clarify so nobody gets confused. It may say its deleting them and it may look like its deleting them but its not. Open your app tray and they are still there. Look at that directory (system/app) in SDK and they are still there :(

I would love it if it were that easy though.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I removed the following:
amazonmp3.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.odex
com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
HtcFootprints.apk
HtcFootprints.odex
HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.odex
HtcTwitter.apk
HtcTwitter.odex
Sprint_NASCAR.apk
Stock.apk
Stock.odex
teeter.apk
teeter.odex

Now when I go into Settings > Accounts & Sync I keep getting and errorr saying "The application Accounts & Sync (process com.htc.settings.accountsync) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Has this happened to anyone else after removing any of these files or how to fix it?

I believe this happens if you remove the Twitter (Peep) App.

Last edited:

njfoses

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So im running the 1.3.2 rom from keith. I wanted to try this out just to get familiar with the process and i keep getting stuck at the same point. When i boot into recovery and then run the .bat file at the end of the cmd prompt i get the following c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows.exe shell nohup /sbin/recovery
nohup: appending output to nohup.out

and the cursor just hangs and i cant do anything else in the window? Any ideas? Thanks.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I had to actually close the window that the .bat file opened and then use a new cmd window. If i left the .bat window open and tried using a new cmd window it would not work.
You should not close the cmd window that the batch file opens. I don't know why your computer is acting wonky but closing that window will prevent you from transferring data from system to SD and vice versa. Close that window then try doing a nand backup and watch what happens. I get errors.

Glad you are all set now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon