| || |
How-To : Removing sprint bloatware (with root)
With all the new EVO owners, this one is bound to come up a million times so here we go.
Read THIS thoroughly. If you do not complete all steps, this won't work. Period.
This updated how-to teaches you how to remove the Sprint bloatware directly from your phone without using ADB. If you prefer the ADB method, those instructions can be found HERE.
WARNING: As with doing any hack or mod there comes risk. These instructions are not telling you to do this, rather are giving you the information if you decide to do this
What you'll need:
- Rooted android device. To see if your device is rooted, download a free app from the market called "Android Terminal Emulator". Open the app and type
su [press enter]
If it comes back with "#" then you're rooted.
- Android device with nand unlocked. Until you unlock nand, you do not have r/w permission to the system directory. To see if you have nand unlocked, go to your hboot or bootloader screen. Look at the top. If it says "S-off" You are ready to proceed.
1) Go to the android market and purchase the app Root Explorer. This is a great file explorer that, because its written for rooted devices, will allow you to remove files from system/.
2) Before you touch anything, put your phone in recovery and make a nand backup. I cannot tell you how many times I've borked something and thanks to my backups, I don't need to start from scratch!!!
3) After your successfully made your nand backup, reboot the phone and wait for Android to load. Once its finished loading, open your brand new app, Root Explorer. Super user will ask you to assign the app permissions, select always allow. The app may close its'self the first time you assign it permissions. Just re-open it and from now on your good to go.
4) Inside root explorer, from the root directory, drive to system/app. Once in system/app, click "mount r/w" in the upper right hand corner of root explorer.
5) You are now free to delete the apk's and odex files for the apps you wish to remove.
- Important note: If you are running a custom ROM it has likely been deodexed so you will only see apk files, not odex and apk. You would then only need to delete just an apk.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL. If you don't know what it is don't remove it!
APPS YOU SHOULD NOT REMOVE:
-Don't remove weather, news, or FriendStream. The widgets should be fine but not the actual apps. They are too deeply integrated into the system and will break things. Some people have not experienced problems while others (including myself) have seen some major issues from removing these. It's best just to avoid.
If you delete an app and want it back:
GO HERE THANKS REGAW!