Why Should I ROOT My EVO

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've searched and saw many treads on rooting and how to root but I havent heard why I should (or shouldn't) root my EVO .

1) Why should (or shouldn't) root my EVO
2) What can I do once it is rooted
3) Can I take it back to factory defaults
4) Does it have to be UN-Rooted to do the OTA upgrades
5) Does rooting make my phones warranty invalid
6) Please be kind ... :)

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Rooting opens up the option to install custom roms, when avaiilable and programs that would not be possible without rooting a phone. Rooting is sort of like unlocking the phone, except in different contexts.

If you must take your sprint phone to repair or get replaced, generally it is a good idea to unroot your phone for precautions that it may be used in a factor on whether they accept it or not.

Currently no one knows if OTA updates are affected by rooting the EVO 4G. Some say it works (after the SD card fix was released), but without any major OTA updates released thus far, no one knows the aftermath.

xxgersonxx

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't Root your phone or its going to get roted! for real, just wait a few more weeks for the froyo update. Its like an iphone when you jailbrake it at first is cool because you get new apps that are not available yet but sooner or later the market will catch up.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
???

rooting does nothing more than grant you access to the /system/ file of the phone. This means you can then flash a recovery which allows you to backup the phone, partition an sd card so that apps can be stored on it (creates a linux recognized EXT partition necessary for non-froyo apps to be stored), perform system wipes, and flash ROMs or patches to roms. Rooting also allows you to uninstall apps that came preloaded on the phone that you do not want, or want to keep more tidy. For instance, the Sprint Nascar app, Sprint Navigation (although nice) is relatively useless since Google Maps has Navigation built in, that also cache's the route which allows you to still receive directions while on a phone call when no 4G network is present.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Is rooting the Evo like the nexus one? (once your rooted you cant go back) or is it like jailbreaking an iPhone (restore and your clear)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Is rooting the Evo like the nexus one? (once your rooted you cant go back) or is it like jailbreaking an iPhone (restore and your clear)

You can go back, right now what you need to do is download the RUU.exe thats floating around, hook your phone up to your PC then launch the exe. This may or may not change in the future but as of 6/7 its accurate. I have rooted my EVO 4 times now (i was helping someone test a ROM that was screwing me up).

chazm

May 18, 2010
Visit site
???

rooting does nothing more than grant you access to the /system/ file of the phone. This means you can then flash a recovery which allows you to backup the phone, partition an sd card so that apps can be stored on it (creates a linux recognized EXT partition necessary for non-froyo apps to be stored), perform system wipes, and flash ROMs or patches to roms. Rooting also allows you to uninstall apps that came preloaded on the phone that you do not want, or want to keep more tidy. For instance, the Sprint Nascar app, Sprint Navigation (although nice) is relatively useless since Google Maps has Navigation built in, that also cache's the route which allows you to still receive directions while on a phone call when no 4G network is present.

what program do i get to uninstall the preinstalled apps

edit: found it, seems like a pain in the ass

Last edited:

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
You can go back, right now what you need to do is download the RUU.exe thats floating around, hook your phone up to your PC then launch the exe. This may or may not change in the future but as of 6/7 its accurate. I have rooted my EVO 4 times now (i was helping someone test a ROM that was screwing me up).

Okay, now i am getting alittle confused. KSmith, your saying that this RUU, which has the new OTA on it is letting you root it. As in the full root. I thought the OTA was disabling the root that XDA was doing. I have been holding off on doing it because of that. Thanks and have a great time with everything you have been doing. Thanks for the awesome work you have been doing.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I am so curious to ROOT my Evo but am not to comfortable yet with doing it myself. I saw Unrevoked has an extremely easy way to do so and was considering it but still theres other aspects I need to know first before moving foward. My main question is If I Root the phone, what is the easiest way to get back to before it was ROOTED in case I need to bring/send it into Sprint anytime? Can someone help me out with this. Also another question I had was after rooting it I hear Wifi does not work, or is that only if you install FROYO? Thanks for any help.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
If you Root, using the XDA method and then put the RvU 1.3.1 custom rom on your system everything is working. Just cleans up alot of Sprint crap. if you then want to revert back to the out of box setup. you will just get the RUU.exe that is floating around out there.
Link to XDA: XDA Root Method
Link to RvU: RVU
RUU: RUU Info

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
BTW, How easy is it to brick the EVO if you do something wrong? Or if I back everything up before I start will that save the phone from ever being bricked?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
BTW, How easy is it to brick the EVO if you do something wrong? Or if I back everything up before I start will that save the phone from ever being bricked?

If you flash a gsm radio it'll brick it,just read everything before flashing anything. If you are not sure about something ask,if all else fails pm me and ill help.