Can USB be broken by going back to stock incorrectly?

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an EVO 4G from ebay. It was supposed to be rooted with a custom ROM. When it arrived, it was stock. Anyway, charging works but nothing data wise. I've tried many different cables & computers with and without the drivers. My wife's EVO 4G Shift connects to mass storage without drivers which I would expect anyway. However, this phone does not. The guy still says the USB was working fine at least at the time. Is it possible to go back to stock incorrectly and cause the USB not to work? I'm kind of stuck because I also already paid to have this ported to PlatinumTel. It takes 2-3 weeks & I got ahead of myself by giving them the ESN to port it with. That cost another $40 so I'd really like to figure out if I'll be able to get this fixed either via USB port repair or if it's software related that can or cannot be fixed. I've also tried other SD cards and no SD cards. The computer doesn't even beep as though it detected the phone at all. I've tried debug mode on & off & even recovery which I thought would allow ADB which I used on my Optimus V etc.. I"ve also tried to gently wiggle the cable to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I took the phone in to Sprint today & the tech confirmed that the usb connectivity (charges only) is faulty. I explained it was unrooted & set back to stock. He didn't know if that could cause this or not but also took it apart to take a look at the port itself. The port does not appear to be loose or missing any pins.

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried updating with the latest PC36IMG_supersonic_gb_sprint_wwe_4.67.651.3_radio_2.15.00.12.19_nv_2.33_release_234563_signed.zip file.. Everything updated & I thought for sure it would fix it.. No such luck. The guy on ebay that replaces usb ports on the EVO 4G's told me that he'd replace it & if it doesn't work it's $10 but $50 if it does.. I'm going to try that as I'm out of ideas. If it doesn't I'm going to be selling it to somebone that doesn't care.. Other than the usb connectivity, the phone is mint.

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Sad to read of your troubles, some people will sell anything... I'm sure you have already barked up the tree of the person that sold it to you on Ebay? Sounds like you didn't get what they were selling, even if it was just that it was supposed to be rooted and it was actually stock? Any luck filing a complaint directly with Ebay or Paypal?

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I've emailed through ebay a few times bad hadn't heard anything from him in the last few days but he said he was going to be out of town. I feel he should refund at least 50 bucks but don't think this fits the normal complaint process.at this point its going to become a phone on the platinumtel network and will never be allowed on sprint post paid again.. that only cost me 20 a month..(could be even less but that is the plan I want. Any post paid sprint phone is eligible. See ptel.ws for details). Anyway I'm sending out for the port replacement..either cost me about $15 if it doesn't work or $50 if out does.Thanks for your input.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

flagcitysteelers

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Fyi.. The port was replaced and computer connectivity still doesn't work.. still not sure if this was somehow caused by software or another hardware problem.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz