Free Wireless tethering

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I understand that you need to be root to install this I did that with UnrEVOked but do you also need to be root every time you run it after? Sorry if this has been asked and answered but if it was then I did not find the answer.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I understand that you need to be root to install this I did that with UnrEVOked but do you also need to be root every time you run it after? Sorry if this has been asked and answered but if it was then I did not find the answer.

Unrevoked is a sticky root meaning it stays after reboot. Once you use Unrevoked, you are fine from then on unless you install an official ruu.

Edit - to clarify, if you don't select "always allow" when the tether is launched you will be prompted to allow every time.

holotfi2003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any objections to using the RUU.exe to flash back to completely stock then trying these steps? I don't know how much more help I can be and in the interest of saving time, it would be nice to have a clean slate.

I will PM you some info, maybe I can walk through it with you over Google talk tonight. No worries, we'll get you setup.
can u please post a link to the RUU.exe, i think i've messed something up with my phone and would love to revert back to stock...
thanks in advance

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
No, it does not ask me for root access.

you sure you have root? After you installed unrevoked did you then launch the unrevoked application and click "ROOT"??

download "Terminal Emulator" from the Android Market and launch it...
Once inside the Terminal type "su"
if the terminal then jumps down a line and displays a # you have root...

Dariuas

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
you sure you have root? After you installed unrevoked did you then launch the unrevoked application and click "ROOT"??

download "Terminal Emulator" from the Android Market and launch it...
Once inside the Terminal type "su"
if the terminal then jumps down a line and displays a # you have root...

Welp;
I open ConnectBot
$
$ su
#

I did the method of putting the PC36ING.zip on the phone and rooting it that way.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean?

If you open the app tray on your phone by pressing "Menu > all apps" you should have a blue logo that looks like "#". That's where you can go to see any application you've given permission to root. So in this case you'd open it up and see something like

data/data/android.tether/bin

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My friend ... I don't think you are lol

edit -Do you need root cause you want to flash ROMs or because you wanna run root apps? I have suggestions for you but they depend on how you answer this.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
[voice="Star Wars Jedi Knight"]
Master, but I have a bad feeling about this young Padawan having root access!
[/voice]

Dariuas

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/Dariuas/snap20100611_210656.png

This is not my first Android. I rooted my Moment and ran 2.1 for a while.

as per the picture, you can see, I am rooted.

Also; using RootExplorer, I was able to Delete Stocks.apk from my phone and a few other portions of bloatware.
I'll rephrase, I removed the .apk file from /system/app
But the program still seems to be on the phone, and working lol..

Last edited:

Dariuas

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I just removed some bloatware with adb shell stuff and its gone so I have no doubt again, that I am rooted... what is going on?

So I started doing some troubleshooting on this;
I uninstalled, reinstalled, got binary config files written or what ever.

I realized first; hey, WIFI is turned off on my phone, so I turned it on
Still nothing.
Second, I realized it connected to my local WIFI, so I disconnected that
Still nothing.
Unable to start tethering. Please try again!

Le sigh.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown