Free Wireless tethering

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
1) You need to root your phone. If you have not done this, please go HERE
- This is not the place to discuss if you are having issues rooting. The only reason root is mentioned is because its necessary to make wireless tether work.
2) Go HERE to download the apk to your phone. Typically people download the top one as that's the newest release.
3) Once the APK downloads click it and it will install. If you get a warning about un-verified apps click settings and allow for unverified apps to load. Now click it and it will work
4) Open wireless tether, click menu on your phone and go through the settings.
5) Once your all setup, have fun

FAQs:
-Yes this will work on a custom rom
-Yes this will work on the stock rom with the OTA installed but you still need root.

Troubleshooting (in this order):
-Did you download the version from the market? Uninstall, go to the link in step 2 above, and download from there.
-Reinstall the binary and config. Open wireless tether app and Menu > Settings > Menu > re-install binary/config
-Make sure you don't have wireless tether set to shut off when your screen turns off. Launch wireless tether, Menu > settings > Check mark "disable wake-lock"
-Have you tried switching to a clean channel? Download wifi analyzer from the market and find a clean channel in the area you are going to be working. Inside on wireless tether, set it to use that channel. Launch wireless tether app and Menu > Settings > channel.

I have absolutely no affiliation with any of the work above. All thanks should go to those Dev's. Also, please consider donating to the Dev's who spent their time hooking us up. More information on the project can be found on their google code site.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbfinger

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Does this do the same a pda.net where the carrier can verifiy tether because the way it uses data or can they find out that your tethering and charge you. i new so be gently with me because my lack of know how

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Does this do the same a pda.net where the carrier can verifiy tether because the way it uses data or can they find out that your tethering and charge you. i new so be gently with me because my lack of know how

You will be fine with this BUT you need to use common sense. I used this on my Hero for months without any issues. Would do things like surf tech blogs and such sitting out on my deck. Never heard a word from Sprint. I read somewhere that this directs traffic on the phone as if its going through your phone browser so Sprint cant detect it (if someone knows differently please post). Still, i wouldn't go streaming movies over this connection.

Works great with my laptop. For some reason, the network doesn't show up when I try it on my Pre.

I don't believe this works for phones. Even when i had this on my Hero my buddies phones couldn't find me. Also i just fired up the old Hero and it couldn't find my EVO yet here i am, typing this on my laptop thats using my EVO as WiFi.

Also please be careful using a Sprint EVO to connect to another Sprint device as a WiFi connection ... You may cause a wrinkle in time (Sarcasm) Thanks!

Reactions: mbigotti

jpdaballa

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
thanks! this is amazing :)

everyone who is afraid of rooting its not like the pre where you have to put in numerous commands, its literally just a tap on the screen! and viola you have a rooted evo

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The GUI opens. I click to "start tethering" and a pop up comes up and says: "Unable to start tethering. Please try again!"

You sure you have root? After you downloaded unrEVOked did you open the app and click the big "Root" button? If you didnt ... do it.

You can see if you have root by doing the following:
Download "android terminal emulator" from the market
Launch the app and type "su"
If a "#" returns then you have root

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This may sound too obvious but ... try rebooting your phone. Once rebooted, open unrevoked again and click root. Then try launching wireless tether.

MichaelMcEntire

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this. I came from the pre and was already loving this phone and android. This was the last piece of the puzzle to make this phone perfect. Thanks again.