Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Free Wireless tethering

1) You need to root your phone. If you have not done this, please go HERE
    - This is not the place to discuss if you are having issues rooting. The only reason root is mentioned is because its necessary to make wireless tether work.
    2) Go HERE to download the apk to your phone. Typically people download the top one as that's the newest release.
    3) Once the APK downloads click it and it will install. If you get a warning about un-verified apps click settings and allow for unverified apps to load. Now click it and it will work
    4) Open wireless tether, click menu on your phone and go through the settings.
    5) Once your all setup, have fun

FAQs:
    -Yes this will work on a custom rom
    -Yes this will work on the stock rom with the OTA installed but you still need root.

Troubleshooting (in this order):
    -Did you download the version from the market? Uninstall, go to the link in step 2 above, and download from there.
    -Reinstall the binary and config. Open wireless tether app and Menu > Settings > Menu > re-install binary/config
    -Make sure you don't have wireless tether set to shut off when your screen turns off. Launch wireless tether, Menu > settings > Check mark "disable wake-lock"
    -Have you tried switching to a clean channel? Download wifi analyzer from the market and find a clean channel in the area you are going to be working. Inside on wireless tether, set it to use that channel. Launch wireless tether app and Menu > Settings > channel.

I have absolutely no affiliation with any of the work above. All thanks should go to those Dev's. Also, please consider donating to the Dev's who spent their time hooking us up. More information on the project can be found on their google code site.

+1

Working great here for me. Unrevoked.
    th1npower likes this.

This is just too easy. And people wonder why I love Linux.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I had wireless internet access on my laptop from my Evo in a minute..
    Just make sure the screen doesn't power off lol
    CB BL likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by drgnlover View Post
    I had wireless internet access on my laptop from my Evo in a minute..
    Just make sure the screen doesn't power off lol
    Works just fine with screen off ...

Launch app > click menu on phone > settings > Check mark "disable wake-lock"

very sweet thx

Does this do the same a pda.net where the carrier can verifiy tether because the way it uses data or can they find out that your tethering and charge you. i new so be gently with me because my lack of know how

Global Posts
    1,226 Global Posts

Works great with my laptop. For some reason, the network doesn't show up when I try it on my Pre.
    53kongo53 likes this.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Nice work. Stickied.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by cbfinger View Post
    Does this do the same a pda.net where the carrier can verifiy tether because the way it uses data or can they find out that your tethering and charge you. i new so be gently with me because my lack of know how
    You will be fine with this BUT you need to use common sense. I used this on my Hero for months without any issues. Would do things like surf tech blogs and such sitting out on my deck. Never heard a word from Sprint. I read somewhere that this directs traffic on the phone as if its going through your phone browser so Sprint cant detect it (if someone knows differently please post). Still, i wouldn't go streaming movies over this connection.

Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Works great with my laptop. For some reason, the network doesn't show up when I try it on my Pre.
    I don't believe this works for phones. Even when i had this on my Hero my buddies phones couldn't find me. Also i just fired up the old Hero and it couldn't find my EVO yet here i am, typing this on my laptop thats using my EVO as WiFi.

Also please be careful using a Sprint EVO to connect to another Sprint device as a WiFi connection ... You may cause a wrinkle in time (Sarcasm) Thanks!
    mbigotti likes this.

The GUI opens. I click to "start tethering" and a pop up comes up and says: "Unable to start tethering. Please try again!"

thanks! this is amazing

everyone who is afraid of rooting its not like the pre where you have to put in numerous commands, its literally just a tap on the screen! and viola you have a rooted evo
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by xbox4414 View Post
    The GUI opens. I click to "start tethering" and a pop up comes up and says: "Unable to start tethering. Please try again!"
    You sure you have root? After you downloaded unrEVOked did you open the app and click the big "Root" button? If you didnt ... do it.

You can see if you have root by doing the following:
    Download "android terminal emulator" from the market
    Launch the app and type "su"
    If a "#" returns then you have root

Yeah, as here is what my android terminal emulator screen looks like:

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
    $ $su
    #
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

This may sound too obvious but ... try rebooting your phone. Once rebooted, open unrevoked again and click root. Then try launching wireless tether.

Does this only work for unrevoked or does it work for this method too?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Default Re: Free Wireless tethering

[QUOTE=xbox4414;148448]Does this only work for unrevoked or does it work for this method
    Try it, should work fine. Will take 30 seconds to test for yourself

Got it to work. Even though I did the toast root the unrevoked root had to be done...
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by xbox4414 View Post
    Got it to work. Even though I did the toast root the unrevoked root had to be done...
    If someone else can confirm this I'd appreciate it so I can edit the instructions. Thanks.

Thanks for this. I came from the pre and was already loving this phone and android. This was the last piece of the puzzle to make this phone perfect. Thanks again.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I rooted with unrevoked, installed and ran the app, but it doesn't show up in my list of wifi networks. After the wifi tether turns on, it says it loaded but there were errors, and to check the log. This is what the log said:

Loading wlan.ko module...
    insmod: can't open '/system/lib/
    modules/wlan.ko'
    failed

Configuring Wifi interface...
    Wlan_loader: not found
    failed

Setting up firewall rules...
    done

Enabling IP forwarding...
    done

Starting dnsmasq...
    done

Any suggestions? Am I the only one having this issue?
    Thanks so much for this thread, very helpful and useful!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

@tndave

Let's try something. uninstall wireless tether by going to menu>settings>applications>manage applications, long press wireless tether and uninstall, Shut your phone off, turn it back on, launch unrevoked again and hit root (i know its a sticky root but humor me), try reinstalling wireless tether.

Also have you installed a firewall, anti-virus, or taskkiller on your phone? Just want to make sure we have all the info.

Just follow those instructions exactly in order and report back. Thanks.
    Banned

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Easy peasy!

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I tried what you suggested twice, had the same error log both times. I don't have any firewall or anti-virus installed, but I do have Advanced Task Killer installed.

Thanks so much for your willingness to help, I really do appreciate it
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by tndave View Post
    I tried what you suggested twice, had the same error log both times. I don't have any firewall or anti-virus installed, but I do have Advanced Task Killer installed.

Thanks so much for your willingness to help, I really do appreciate it
    This might not have anything to do with it but please remove ATK ... if your killing SU then the install won't work. Remove ATK then follow the steps again.
    tndave likes this.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast