Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't boot into recovery

I just unlocked with the HTCDev method and when I try to reach recovery it freezes on the red triangle screen. I have to remove the battery to reboot. When I try to flash ClockworkMod I get an error " An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" I've tried fix permissions, and flash alternate recovery with the same result. The phone is usable but I cant flash anything.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Default Re: Can't boot into recovery

you need to install a custom recovery first, you do that with fastboot. copy the recovery image into the same folder as fastboot and rename it to recovery.img. enter the bootloader with your phone connected to your pc
    when in the bootloader use your volume to scroll and choose fastboot then hit power button. you should have fastboot usb highlighted at the top of the the list. now in your command window type;

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then type fastboot boot recovery

you should be good to go

Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

benny3,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Please excuse my stupidity but where do I find a custom recovery image?
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

TeamWin Projects - TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) | TeamWin

if you download the PG36IMG recovery it installs different let me know if thats the one you have

Thanked by:

ROM
    Arctic Hd

Quote Originally Posted by benny3 View Post
    you need to install a custom recovery first, you do that with fastboot. copy the recovery image into the same folder as fastboot and rename it to recovery.img. enter the bootloader with your phone connected to your pc
    when in the bootloader use your volume to scroll and choose fastboot then hit power button. you should have fastboot usb highlighted at the top of the the list. now in your command window type;

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

then type fastboot boot recovery

you should be good to go
    That's the long way of doing it man.

Fond your choice of custom recovery you want. RA, CWM, or TWRP. Make sure you stay away from TWRP 2.0 as last I seen it had lots of bugs and bricked a few devices.

Once downloaded, rename zip file to PC36IMG.zip. make sure you don't name it PC36IMG.zip.zip on accident.

Place this file on the root of your SD card. (Root meaning in no folders)

Boot into fast boot and your phone will automatically search for the PC36IMG.zip file. Once it loads up, it will ask you to update. Volume up for yes, volume down for no.

Hit volume up to install update and it will flash your custom recovery.

Once update finishes hit volume down to decline a restart.

Volume down to recovery and select it with power button.

Boots into the custom recovery.

Make a nandroid backup first thing before you do anything to your phone.

Remember not to flash anything with at least 40% of battery life and nandroids only work on the recovery it was made on. Ie CWM backups will not restore through RA recovery.

Sent from my Eclipsed Droid RAZR via Tapatalk II
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    chub-sac-Sense4.5/AnTHRaX

Quote Originally Posted by jimdunk View Post
    benny3,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Please excuse my stupidity but where do I find a custom recovery image?
    Use the attached file and put it on the root of the SD card as per dumpedduce's instructions above (you won't have to rename the file - I've already done that for you).

This is RA-supersonic-v2.3 - HAUS MOD rev.A, which is the best, tried and true recovery for the EVO 4G. Both CWM and TWRP are inconsistent when wiping, and can cause issues with partitioned SD cards.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Device 1: HTC One (M8)/831C | Hardware Version: 0005
    Baseband: 1.08.20.0612_4 | PRI: 2.62_003 | PRL: 53136 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.7

Device 2: HTC Jewel/PJ75100 (EVO 4G LTE) | Hardware Version: 0003
    Baseband: 1.13.11.1105 | PRI: 3.02_003 | PRL: 56018 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.2

Device 3: HTC Shooter/PG86100 (EVO 3D) | Hardware Version: 0002
    Baseband: 1.09.00.0108 | PRI: 1.55_003 | PRL: 22100 | Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Device 4: HTC Supersonic/PC36100 (EVO 4G) | Hardware Version: 0004
    Baseband: 2.15.00.01.15 | PRI: 2.33_003 | PRL: 40460 | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.0
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks to all who have replied, I'm finally up and running with new rom without bloatware (no more low memory messages) . It's amazing how well all this works when people like me actually read and follow directions. Thanks again.

Wait till you get a2sd running lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2