Ok got a rooted phone...now what?

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey all
I am new to this, like many, late to the party.
I saw there is a beats ROM or way to put beats music on my evo.

I have a rooted phone, got it through ebay...but it has a stock rom on it. I have deleted a bunch of apps, and have been reading about the benefits of root.

How do I change "roms" etc....the battery life still sucks, I know there are better things out there....I could use some help thanks!

Coach

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Now you go to every Forum on the planet and check and double check your stuff before you flash a new rom.. Good Luck.. While your learning how to install a new ROM start with a rooted backup program and work up from there and enjoy the cool apps you can run on your rooted phone :) Congrats on the new EVO Sweet..

If you flash then Harmonia 2 GingerBread 2.3.7 is a good one for my old VM Optimus V 2.2.1 Froyo and I love it.. But the EVO gets 4.0 ICS now so you'll have to let me know how that goes and being a newer ROM out there patients will be rewarded if you wait on a stable build and hack.

What flavor will you choose only you can know based on your needs and handset.. Harmonia2 is vanilla but you may like sense or other stuff to skin it..Just look and you will find it with the different rooted ROM builds for your handset as they come out.. Flashing is easy.. Recovery isn't if you blow it and your not prepared!! Read young Skywalker read!!

Last edited:
Reactions: coachpelkey

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
As Severability indicates, you will need to decide which features are important to you then decide which ROMs to try based on your personal preferences. If you like the HTC Sense overlay, I would recommend MikG 3.11 for your consideration. This ROM has a Sense overlay that is fresher than the stock EVO 4G ROM but not dramatically different and comes with MikTweaks, a handy configuration utility that extends your ability to customize your phone.

Although you can use the stock HTC kernel, I would also recommend updating with a SBC kernel to allow the battery to charge to its full capacity overnight. Although I just installed the Classic Sense SBC v1.3 kernel yesterday, I have already noticed significantly slower battery drain than I have experienced before.

You can get the MikG 3.11 ROM at [ROM] - [MikRoms] - [3/9/2012] - MikG v3.11 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - xda-developers and the Classic Sense SBC v1.3 kernel at http://ca1ne.classictomatoe.net/downloads/classickernelv13.zip. I would also recommend using Amon RA v2.3 recovery utility which is available with directions at [Recovery] [09-Feb-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.3 - xda-developers. A video at How to Flash a ROM on the HTC Evo 4G.flv - YouTube walks you through the process of flashing a new ROM with Amon RA v2.3 recovery.

Always be sure to make a Nandroid backup from recovery before you start changing your phone's ROM or kernel for protection in case your phone fails to boot or becomes unstable after your changes. If anything goes wrong with the changes you make, you can boot into recovery and restore your working configuration and data from the backup you made earlier.

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you.
Is there a rom that uses the "beats" by dr. dre information:? I was curious, heard through the grapevine....etc.

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.
Is there a rom that uses the "beats" by dr. dre information:? I was curious, heard through the grapevine....etc.

If you search google with your query this is what you get ☆ ★ | ROM | InfectedROM Eternity™ | RLS_1.5 | NIGHTLYS | 3.0 & 3.5 | XE BEATS | ★ ☆ - xda-developers Not really a beats guy but this is a start..

I see trouble ahead with 4 handsets with the same name evo 3d, evo 4g, evo V 4g, evo4g lte OMG!! With new rom installs from new rooters this can't be good!! Be careful on thoses zip file names!!
They got some good stuff for the old EVO 3D / New EVO V 4G running ICS.. what's not to like!!?? ;) This means "EVO" won't cut it on phone descriptions in the future for any of us that may own one :(

Last edited:

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the input. I know I just need a little time alone to read and try not to screw things up for my phone.
I have superuser on my phone, and just got a 32gb card...(woo hoo)...Do you guys think Sprite back up is good? I have a box.com account so I thought the cloud back up plus the space on my card was good to make a copy of my phone....;)

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the input. I know I just need a little time alone to read and try not to screw things up for my phone.
I have superuser on my phone, and just got a 32gb card...(woo hoo)...Do you guys think Sprite back up is good? I have a box.com account so I thought the cloud back up plus the space on my card was good to make a copy of my phone....;)

I just used my PC and after root my crap device I backup to went nuts and I killed it.. (Great Frisbee and Wall Modifier however ;)) But it was funny before that.. Idk about the other ways.. Wait for the pros lol GL. If you can turn your handset into a wifi hotspot and see signal on another device and your not paying for it you defiantly got root :)
Your giving me EVO phone envy bad lol.. 32giger S: D What's not to like there?? Sweet! I got a 8 for mine :(

Last edited:

coachpelkey

Man of La Mancha
Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I only paid 20.00 for the 32gb card via ebay. It is from china but works like a charm.
Just wish I could put more apps on the card.....

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I only paid 20.00 for the 32gb card via ebay. It is from china but works like a charm.
Just wish I could put more apps on the card.....

Yes so many apps so little time lol.. I feel your pain:'(
Yep I have also done that with other stuff for my guitar and other things and other than the 2 or 3 week wait it's been pretty good so far.. If it still works in a year you did ok imo..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance