How-To Full Root of Evo 4G on Mac

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
This method will five you full root. It basically inputs all the and codes for you, pushes ect. You'll be able to follow along in the command prompt.

As for nands, you need around 150-200 mb. Haven't ever gotten one that was more. I recommend clockwork recovery to handle your future backups.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtkagan

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
any help would be awesome. everything is going smooth until this step.

./adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 0755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/amon-ra-recovery.img
reboot recovery

THe line that starts with /data i get:

# /data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/amon-ra-recovery
error opening /sdcard/amon-ra-recovery: No such file or directory

any idea how to fix this? i tried to just skip it and reboot into recovery and i get the recovery screen with the red triangle and exclamation mark in the middle of it. as i said before everything else went smooth and now i am just stuck on that one command. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I should also say i used astro to check if all the files are in the sd card and they are so just stuck on that amon ra recovery step. =[

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
any help would be awesome. everything is going smooth until this step.

./adb shell
/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/amon-ra-recovery.img
reboot recovery

THe line that starts with /data i get:

# /data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/amon-ra-recovery
error opening /sdcard/amon-ra-recovery: No such file or directory

any idea how to fix this? i tried to just skip it and reboot into recovery and i get the recovery screen with the red triangle and exclamation mark in the middle of it. as i said before everything else went smooth and now i am just stuck on that one command. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I should also say i used astro to check if all the files are in the sd card and they are so just stuck on that amon ra recovery step. =[

Did you push the files, or simply drag and drop them to the sd card? Dragging and dropping didn't work for me, i had to adb push them to my sd card.

mtkagan

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah i used terminal and pushed them out via adb. after like 6 hours last night i figured it out. the mirror for the second pc36img.zip is down so a few pages back you guys instructed us to use a download from xda forums. when i do amon-ra-recovery it says no file exists. i just read the guide over on xda from toast part 2 nand unlock. he used just recovery.img instead of amon-ra-recovery.img. everything else worked like it should have. thanks for this guide. it was kind of rough for me because im a noob a terminal stuff too, but this did make me learn alot. now i have a question. is it safe to do a 1.4 ota update and do the 1.4 root on my mac or should i wait for a more comprehensive guide to do the 1.4 update. currently on the software that ends in .6

nitetime#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I live in San Diego and just got my Evo rushed home thinking I knew everthing. Well I am sure the rest of the story is known by all. I have no idea that rooting the EVo instructions are for windows users. I just have no clue if I rooted the phone correctly. I used the windows instrucTions for several hours and am throwing in the towel.

Is there anyone in San Diego that can help me.

Thanks
Don Oliver
858-735-7401

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I live in San Diego and just got my Evo rushed home thinking I knew everthing. Well I am sure the rest of the story is known by all. I have no idea that rooting the EVo instructions are for windows users. I just have no clue if I rooted the phone correctly. I used the windows instrucTions for several hours and am throwing in the towel.

Is there anyone in San Diego that can help me.

Thanks
Don Oliver
858-735-7401

Don,

I'm in SD. Your trying to root on a pc right? PM me and i'll try to walk you through it some time.

samid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
ok so when i get to the cd desktop/evo-recovery/recovery-mac.sh i get this

"EVO Recovery Mode

Pushing required files to device...

Password:"

what do i type and how do i do this? i can't seem to get this to work... and i am sorry for being a newbie on this subject!

hi
i have this same issue. did you solve it?

Kenjari

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
WOW....This thread is NICe

I give big ups to Rufflez and liquidjesus and all the others who have helped folks in this thread. I'm sorry for posting and adding nonsense to this, but I sat back and read all nine pages and learned so much.

I wish I would have had this method last month when I rooted. I had to pull out my PC that I havent used in a year just to root. (literally I blew off dust). But I wish I new that this was possible on a mac via sdk. This would have made rooting so much easier.

Well....Once again...that author and contributors to this thread need to be appreciated for their knowledge and time.

Peace

alopez4525

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
dang I follow the steps and this is what I get

Last login: Mon Jul 19 20:49:04 on ttys000
Name-Name-MacBook-Pro:~ name$ cd android-sdk-mac_86/tools
Name-Name-MacBook-Pro:tools name$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
HTXXXXXXXXXX device

Name-Name-MacBook-Pro:tools name$ ./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
failed to copy 'PC36IMG.zip' to '/sdcard/PC36IMG.zip': Read-only file system
Name-Name-MacBook-Pro:tools name$

I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Noxtreme

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
So will i not lose any data doing this.

Sorry for the newb question. I'm a tech but i have never rooted an android. It appears that I'm doing a backup in the process of rooting from the instruction in this tutorial. So does this back up everything in my phone (apps, contacts, text history, etc etc). Or do i need to do something else to make sure i am able to put my phone back to the way it was before root except for the permission. I want it the same as it is now or very close but I want to be able to use apps that require root.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

fiveseven

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Help!

Hi, complete n00b here. When I move over the PC361IMG.zip file to the tools folder and type in ./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard (on a Mac), it says 'Permission denied'. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions? Thank you.

fiveseven

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Help root my EVO 4g

Anyone in San Francisco willing to meet with n00b (very new) to help root her phone? Just got the EVO 4g, using a mac and keep running into various errors :confused:. I'll buy you lunch (or a beer if you prefer). PM me. Thank you.

fiveseven

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else in the San Francisco Bay Area wanting to root their EVO 4G and running into issues? More importantly, any expert(s) that might be nice enough to meet to help n00bies like myself (and possibly others) that are on a mac? Please forward to people you know that might be able to help. n00bs, let me know if you are in a similar situation and/or know someone that can help. Thank you very much in advance.

skeptic

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
can someone explain to me the following instruction? Is one line " ./adb shell " then the next line "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image" ? also, during any of the steps do I have to restart terminal? for instance, do i exist out of evo-recovery and get back into the sdk tools folder? the instruction is a little confusing. thanks for the help.

Step 2:
unzip both the flash_image.zip and mtd-eng.zip and place them into the sdcard (root folder), then type in terminal one line at a time:
Code:

./adb shell
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney