How-To Full Root of Evo 4G on Mac

zacst

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I always get the following message when trying to copy the PC36IMG.zip file to the sdcard:

zachery-stevenss-macbook:tools zacst$ ./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
failed to copy 'PC36IMG.zip' to '/sdcard': Is a directory
zachery-stevenss-macbook:tools zacst$

any ideas on how to help?

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I always get the following message when trying to copy the PC36IMG.zip file to the sdcard:

zachery-stevenss-macbook:tools zacst$ ./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
failed to copy 'PC36IMG.zip' to '/sdcard': Is a directory
zachery-stevenss-macbook:tools zacst$

any ideas on how to help?

You need another backslash; the shell thinks you're trying to copy PC36IMG.zip as a FILE named sdcard, when in fact you are trying to copy PC36IMG.zip to a FOLDER called sdcard

Either of these should work:
Code:
./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/
or
Code:
./adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip

rumber01

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
i cant even pass the part where it says to input the ./adb devices command. what am I doing wrong?? I get this message: -bash: ./adb: No such file or directory

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i cant even pass the part where it says to input the ./adb devices command. what am I doing wrong?? I get this message: -bash: ./adb: No such file or directory

That means you're not in the correct directory (ie you're not in the sdk/tools/ directory where adb is).
You need to 'cd' to the correct directory.

If the folder android-sdk-mac_86 is in your home directory you need to execute
Code:
cd ~/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/
before you can use adb
if the folder is on your desktop it would be
Code:
cd ~/Desktop/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/

Then adb should work fine.

*EDIT*
OR, if you'd like to be able to run adb from anywhere (without always having to 'cd' to the sdk folder) you can simply run this command in terminal
Code:
echo "export PATH=${PATH}:/[B]REPLACE_THIS_WITH_THE_FULL_PATH_TO_YOUR_SDK[/B]/tools" >> ~/.bash_profile
for the >2.2 SDK
or this for the 2.3+ SDK:
Code:
echo "export PATH=${PATH}:/[B]REPLACE_THIS_WITH_THE_FULL_PATH_TO_YOUR_SDK[/B]/platform-tools" >> ~/.bash_profile

Then quit terminal and restart it. From then on you can use adb (now without the ./ before it) from any directory!

Last edited:

mist

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have been experiencing this same issue on a Mac and on Windows. I know a lot of other users have been experiencing this too, but for some reason I have been unable to resolve the issue. I am pretty confident I am running the "./adb devices" command in the correct directory.

PLEASE HELP! :)

adb.png

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been experiencing this same issue on a Mac and on Windows. I know a lot of other users have been experiencing this too, but for some reason I have been unable to resolve the issue. I am pretty confident I am running the "./adb devices" command in the correct directory.

PLEASE HELP! :)

adb.png

How recently did you download the SDK? It seems on newer versions (ones including the Gingerbread APIs+) Google has moved adb to the 'platform-tools' folder (instead of just 'tools').

Try executing ./adb from ~/android-sdk-mac_86/platform-tools and lemme know if that works.

SurrenderonDemand

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
@ Rufflez thank you for the walkthrough. I am running into a problem in step three during the phone steps. I get the error that PC36IMG.zip failed because main version is older.
Could you help me solve this problem? What should I do?

I am running android ver 2.2

Thanks

ja2ride0rdie

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting an error everytime in ./adb

j-dot-s-macbook:~ ja2ride0rdie$ cd android-sdk-mac_x86
j-dot-s-macbook:android-sdk-mac_x86 ja2ride0rdie$ ./adb devices
-bash: ./adb: No such file or directory
j-dot-s-macbook:android-sdk-mac_x86 ja2ride0rdie$ screencapture
screencapture: no file specified
j-dot-s-macbook:android-sdk-mac_x86 ja2ride0rdie$

tenoreprimo

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I already rooted my EVO, but I used unrEVOked, and I was advised that I could have problems. So I would like to re-do it using the method in this thread. However, I'm not sure how to get back to step 1. Any advice?

maxhenke

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
j-dot-s-macbook:~ ja2ride0rdie$ cd android-sdk-mac_x86
j-dot-s-macbook:android-sdk-mac_x86 ja2ride0rdie$ screencapture
screencapture: no file specified
j-dot-s-macbook:android-sdk-mac_x86 ja2ride0rdie$
I am having the same issue w/ my mac not finding my phone as a device. I'm going to install the platform tools. and keep you posted on what I figure out. I read a post that said the directory is now in platform tools, witch dosent come already in your SDK file from android. :)