[How To] Unroot and return to stock [RUU Method]

streetzlegend

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Greetings, I have not yet attempted to unroot as stated in this thread, I just want to verify that I will be able to do so successfully.

I did the toast root method part 1 and 2, have used a few roms but my current Rom and Kernel are:

Fresh Evo 1.0.1.
netarchy-toastmod kernel version 3.7.5
ClockworkMod recovery 2.5.0.1

I got the phone on release date and did the OTA for updating the SD card issue, after that I rooted and never applied any other OTA update that came out. Should I be safe unrooting and going back to stock using the method on this thread? How can I also verify what version RUU I should use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I was running DC 3.2.3, and so I ran the first RUU (1.32.651.1_Radio_1.39....). After several tries, it started going through the process of getting me back to normal. But it failed partway through, and thereafter I couldn't get it to even make it past the first USB connection error, and I swear I tried 20 times. Now, I get in a boot loop where I just see the white HTC logo for a little bit and then it reboots.

I can get into my RA-evo-v1.7.0.1 recovery after taking out the battery. So I tried restoring my Nandroid backup... No dice, I get the same boot loop. I tried flashing DC 3.2.3, and same boot loop. I tried flashing CM 6, it fails on the assertion on the bootloader version. It seems I'm back to version 0.79 of the bootloader, rather than 0.76.

So I can't boot up, I can't flash either of my ROMs, I can't get back to my backup, and I can't get into adb from the PC because I can't boot up.

Am I totally screwed? What should I do?

Have you tried any of the other RUUs?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was running DC 3.2.3, and so I ran the first RUU (1.32.651.1_Radio_1.39....). After several tries, it started going through the process of getting me back to normal. But it failed partway through, and thereafter I couldn't get it to even make it past the first USB connection error, and I swear I tried 20 times. Now, I get in a boot loop where I just see the white HTC logo for a little bit and then it reboots.

I can get into my RA-evo-v1.7.0.1 recovery after taking out the battery. So I tried restoring my Nandroid backup... No dice, I get the same boot loop. I tried flashing DC 3.2.3, and same boot loop. I tried flashing CM 6, it fails on the assertion on the bootloader version. It seems I'm back to version 0.79 of the bootloader, rather than 0.76.

So I can't boot up, I can't flash either of my ROMs, I can't get back to my backup, and I can't get into adb from the PC because I can't boot up.

Am I totally screwed? What should I do?

Wow, that sounds terrible. I dont know where to start.

I guess if you can load into recovery, while your in recovery you should be able to get ADB to work. Run adb devices" It will show your device serial number as well as the state its in, in this case recovery. Give that a shot.

Down load this link
http://geekfor.me/evo/rom/Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip

And try to flash that through recovery. Make sure you do a full wipe.

If that goes through, you should be able to run the 1.47 RUU.

Let me know if that works. We'll go from there.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Greetings, I have not yet attempted to unroot as stated in this thread, I just want to verify that I will be able to do so successfully.

I did the toast root method part 1 and 2, have used a few roms but my current Rom and Kernel are:

Fresh Evo 1.0.1.

I got the phone on release date and did the OTA for updating the SD card issue, after that I rooted and never applied any other OTA update that came out. Should I be safe unrooting and going back to stock using the method on this thread? How can I also verify what version RUU I should use?

Just to be safe...I would return back to a rooted stock rom. I would use the ENG-PC36IMG in toasts part two. I believe you will have to do toasts part 2 over again so you can back down. This will put you at version 1.17. Then use the RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.1_Radio_1.39.00.04.26_release_171253.exe RUU and stick with it if it errors out and you should be good. After that do any OTA updates available, you'll be set!

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Fresh Evo 1.0.1.

You should be fine, however i recommend wiping and then flashing the rooted stock i posted above prior to running the RUU. If that works i will adjust my guide appropriately.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just to be safe...I would return back to a rooted stock rom. I would use the ENG-PC36IMG in toasts part two. I believe you will have to do toasts part 2 over again so you can back down. This will put you at version 1.17. Then use the RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.1_Radio_1.39.00.04.26_release_171253.exe RUU and stick with it if it errors out and you should be good. After that do any OTA updates available, you'll be set!

haha one step ahead of me =P

slvrprelude

May 17, 2010
Visit site
soi if i update on tuesday withoiut returning to stock will it mess me up? and so iff the ruu doesnt work n im on hboot .79 then i need to run the RvU1.0 as update.zip from my recovery? then do the ruu? i have a stock rom with root and the netarchy/toasty kernal

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
soi if i update on tuesday withoiut returning to stock will it mess me up? and so iff the ruu doesnt work n im on hboot .79 then i need to run the RvU1.0 as update.zip from my recovery? then do the ruu? i have a stock rom with root and the netarchy/toasty kernal

The RUU should work with the .79 Hboot, however if it doesn't, you could go the eng hboot route.

Installing the update may not mess you up, but will most likely break your root.

Wait until the rooted version comes out, then flash.

slvrprelude

May 17, 2010
Visit site
so can i just do the simple root program? oposed to the toasty part 2? or do i have to be in the loader white screen/ cuz if i dont go to white screen the ruu works

Last edited:

campanth

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have read through this entire thread and did not see this mentioned. Can someone please confirm if this works if rooted using unrEVOked 3? I would like to get back to stock.

slvrprelude

May 17, 2010
Visit site
well i could flash custom roms with unrevoked n had the recovery stuff but no this didnt work untill i flashed some junk and tried simple root and not really sure what i did but finally got a root safe ruu to work and then the signed then did the ota updates and then flashed the new froyo. my hboot went down to .76 the back to .79 when i was thought i had to have .76 but idk it was confusing. and run the ruu not in the bootloader. u cant run the ruu from the white bootloader screen. you do it from the phone so it might work if u skip all the junk and install the windows 7 drivers(assuming ur on it) and just run the signed ruu or older root safe ruu from the home screen with usb debugging on and when it restarts your phone hold don the vol down key to help it in.... mine kept rebooting but didnt want to actualy install till i held the stupid button down. otherwise if u try from he bootloader or so on u get the battery error on a fully charged or you get the usb error even if u do the hboot usb andc wait for it to say plug

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have read through this entire thread and did not see this mentioned. Can someone please confirm if this works if rooted using unrEVOked 3? I would like to get back to stock.

Yes..it will work. However it seems that the only way that this work in the least frustrating way is use Simple Root first which will put you back at 1.17. Then use the RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_release_171253_signed.exe, then either OTA from there or use the newest RUU to get you back to 1.47. The original way that Liquidjesus has in OP works...just doesn't work as quickly as most people want with out the frustration. And this way seems like the long way, but less frustrating. As always NAND Backup before moving forward, even if you want to just return to stock for whatever reason.

yungwunn911

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes..it will work. However it seems that the only way that this work in the least frustrating way is use Simple Root first which will put you back at 1.17. Then use the RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.6_Radio_1.39.00.05.31_release_171253_signed.exe, then either OTA from there or use the newest RUU to get you back to 1.47. The original way that Liquidjesus has in OP works...just doesn't work as quickly as most people want with out the frustration. And this way seems like the long way, but less frustrating. As always NAND Backup before moving forward, even if you want to just return to stock for whatever reason.

link to simple root method?

im stuck too.

campanth

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Tattrpuff, thanks for the guidance. I successfully applied the Simple Root method, RUU'd back to an unrooted EVO and OTA'd all the way to FROYO. It was time consuming but rather painless. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers