Cannot ROOT after newest OTA update, Help!

caveman663

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I try to load the PC36IMG.zip and I get an error that states:

Main Version is older!
Update Fail!

What am I missing? Is there a new PC36IMG.zip? I have rooted this phone a couple of times but tried to go back to stock for the newest OTA.

Any ideas?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
If you applied the OTA then you can't go about things the same way.The OTA patched that opening.

caveman663

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't aware that the powers that be were so intent on closing up the holes allowing root. I thought that was only an apple thing.

So is there a way to flash my phone back to the original software that it shipped with and start over again?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Right now your SOL. We're trying to find a way to possibly downgrade. Check out some of the other threads. Other people are just as upset as you are.

Oh ps. Search next time =) don't justify that you didn't think the other ones dressed your issue. they did.

caveman663

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Right now your SOL. We're trying to find a way to possibly downgrade. Check out some of the other threads. Other people are just as upset as you are.

Oh ps. Search next time =) don't justify that you didn't think the other ones dressed your issue. they did.

I did a search, and I didn't find anyone else addressing this issue or having this issue

ResDog

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep... those of us that did the last OTA are now playing the waiting game....

I lost my 4G ability with the last OTA update and I'm rather miffed! I had full 4G signal at my home before... now... NOTHING....

GRRR... I am NEVER going to do an OTA again.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I try to load the PC36IMG.zip and I get an error that states:

Main Version is older!
Update Fail!

What am I missing? Is there a new PC36IMG.zip? I have rooted this phone a couple of times but tried to go back to stock for the newest OTA.

Any ideas?

You could have just waited for a rooted stock rom with the newest update was released. No need to downgrade to install.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
your sentence structure sucks!

You could have just waited for a rooted stock rom with the newest update was released. No need to downgrade to install.

What are you trying to say? The way you constructed that sentence it leaves me (and I am sure the rest) wondering exactly what is it you are trying to say? This guy is clearly stating that he has the 6-29 OTA on his phone and is at a loss as to why the zip file will not allow him to root. Since he has said OTA update he is asking a very valid question "Can I downgrade after receiving the OTA" The answer regretfully from what I have been reading is no, you cannot downgrade at this time and you are also SOL on root until someone at XDA comes up with a new method. I personally tried to downgrade and get the same error code as above :-( I am one of the idiots that installed the OTA thinking a hole would be found within hours. At this point it has been days and I am kicking my own @ss for allowing Sprint to bone me. I can promise that I will NEVER EVER accept another OTA. I will only use patched fixes from XDA and I WILL be hitting that DONATE button as soon as the fix is found!

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I am one of the idiots that installed the OTA thinking a hole would be found within hours. At this point it has been days and I am kicking my own @ss for allowing Sprint to bone me. I can promise that I will NEVER EVER accept another OTA. I will only use patched fixes from XDA and I WILL be hitting that DONATE button as soon as the fix is found!

That is *EXACTLY* why I have not done any updates to my phone yet. I'm still using unrevoked and I have unrevoked 2 installed with clockwork. I know at any time I can load a new ROM onto my phone, but I have no issues with stock besides keeping my root.

For the life of me I can't understand why people accept updates as soon as they come out, only to find their phones don't do what they wanted them to do (in this case keep root, or allow you to roll back to pre-ota).

Yes, I know other platforms still allowed you to do whatever after a system update (I came from the Pre where Palm really doesn't care what you do to the phone) and I still had a feeling of 'wait and see'.

Glad I waited, and still waiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs