First try at rooting, having issues.

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
Ok, i have been doing a lot of reading, and even though i am an Android noob, i think i have a decent idea of what i should be doing. here is my issue right now, every time (tried literally 20x today) to download the eng-PC36IMG file, i can't get it to extract, i get an error message saying it can't extract. tried 15 different sites and i get the same message everytime. With the recent news that its gonna be a while until we get Froyo, i want to flash a custom Froyo ROM on my EVO, and its getting very frustrating. any help would be much appreciated.

bagger

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You have done the initial PC36IMG zip on the root of your sdcard and done the volume down+power, etc correct????

Once you've gotten that out of the way, delete that file off of your sdcard! When you get to the eng-PC36IMG part of the process... I believe you are supposed to take "eng-" off of the name so it reads the same as the first zip file.

This is a very vague description assuming you have read up and have a general idea of what needs to get done.

Other thoughts
-if you have the most recent OTA, the root method has changed
-maybe you have been trying to physically unzip on your computer...in which case, stop....just put the zip file straight to the root of the sd card
-do the simpleroot method, it pretty much saved me when I didn't comprehend how to get ADB working

disclaimer- I'm a noob myself, but I'm trying to help a fellow noob get full root like I have accomplished! Some terminology may not be perfect, I'm still learning this hacker jibberish

bagger

May 7, 2010
Visit site
---==={ROOT GUIDE}===--- | 1.47.651.1 ROOT method | - xda-developers

If you have the newest OTA, then this is the only known working method available to get root. Looks like you should be good to go, they have a video and everything.

Glad I at least partially helped! I know how frustrating it can be!

Oh, and from here on out, never load an OTA from here on out! The dev's will cook something up as new updates come, they are now your bestest of friends!

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
ok, so i am trying, and everytime i try to pull up the cmd prompt and type adb shell in, it says adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. what am i doing wrong here?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
ok, so i am trying, and everytime i try to pull up the cmd prompt and type adb shell in, it says adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. what am i doing wrong here?

Try this first
cd\android-sdk-windows/tools
then adb shell

h20squirter

Apr 19, 2010
www.rossmeadows.com
ok, so i tried wiping the phone again, and starting over. now whenever i try to pull up adb shell, i get error: device not found.

WTF!! i have been doing this for like 2 hours. getting frustrated. really frustrated.