What is the point of Rooting my EVO?

LegalAdmin

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm a former BlackBerry junky and would upgrade an OS EVERY single time one would be released, including unofficial hybrid OS versions. I could always tell what was going on and could always tell if it worked well or not.

At one point I rooted my EVO (spending hours and hours and hours on it) only to find... I didn't know why I did it! Still couldn't delete any of the default Sprint apps, the "Over Clocking" thingy wouldn't work... all sorts of promises gone bust. Those were the only two reasons I tried the root.... ok, I lied, I love to tinker!

So, I think we need a top 20 list of things you can do with a Rooted EVO that you COULDN'T do before your rooted it! Someone help me out here!

P.S. I unrooted my phone.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a former BlackBerry junky and would upgrade an OS EVERY single time one would be released, including unofficial hybrid OS versions. I could always tell what was going on and could always tell if it worked well or not.

At one point I rooted my EVO (spending hours and hours and hours on it) only to find... I didn't know why I did it! Still couldn't delete any of the default Sprint apps, the "Over Clocking" thingy wouldn't work... all sorts of promises gone bust. Those were the only two reasons I tried the root.... ok, I lied, I love to tinker!

So, I think we need a top 20 list of things you can do with a Rooted EVO that you COULDN'T do before your rooted it! Someone help me out here!

With root you can delete apps.Did you read threw this post here http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/15702-how-removing-sprint-bloatware-root.html
To be able to overclock you need to flash a kernel that is set up to be overclocked. There's one in this post http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...ource-code-test-kernels-questions-here-3.html and plenty more over at xda just have to search around for things.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
With root, you can enable wifi tether.
Backup and restore your apps.
Take screen shots (though this worked on launch day rom, recently removed though.)
Try out Froyo.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site

Rooting the phone gave me root access privileges. I don't really understand your question. It's like asking, "list the top 20 things you can do with a started car that you COULDN'T do before you started it!"

Google "what is root linux" and you'll learn that root is an access level. It's not a feature, or a function, or a widget (in the ACME sense, not in the Android sense).

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
1. Flash Roms : This isn't so big right now... but once some more developed roms come by, we'll be seeing some great stuff. For example, my friend rooted his Droid Eris and it runs faster than my Evo because he got a ROM with the JIT already.

2. Tethering and backing up/restoring apps with a single tap.

Those two alone do it for me.
It's mostly the roms, cause they can make an old phone run like new...
Ever checked the comments in the market on a 3d game? There's always those that say "doesn't run on my Moment" or "doesn't run on my Hero"... and there's that guy who says "runs great on my G1 with CyanogenMod!"

kkacatin

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Root is wonderful and developers are constantly changing things for the better.

The best combination I've stumbled upon is [ROM] Baked Snack V.9 7/5/10 Super-Fast/Stable/Power-Saving/More-Flash/Sexy-Look - xda-developers with either [WIP] [7/7] Higher framerate on Novatek panels | Kernel inside | Now for Froyo! - xda-developers or [Kernel]Modified Godmode kernel with FPS 'fix' for Epson screens (Yes Camera works) - xda-developers based on what type of screen you have.

Just Baked Snacks alone improves the speed and overclocking with the 30 FPS removal makes things better.

Still trying my hands on more ROMs, but rooting is worth it!

You can always backup your system with nandroid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes