Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

sorry for multiple questions, but on the kernel post, theres a bunch of links, "flashable zip normal voltage, low voltage, 2.1 eclair, and then flashable zip 4g and wifi use with custom kernel, im confused on which one to pick (im on 2.1 eclair) and i want all feature (4g, wifi, and camera) to work
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Quote Originally Posted by rocklee99 View Post
    If you wouldnt mind helping then can you please tell me what the difference between a rom and kernel is?

i want to root with "simple root" and update to 1.47, but after that i want to do the set CPU thing, but i dont want to reaply it every boot, so i want your custom kernel cuz you said it disables that

and does this kernel ruin anything? (wifi, camera, 4g?)

im consfused and just would like some answers, because all these roms sound nice, but then theres "kernels" and "radios" and "wipes"....im lost

after i root, do i need to wipe to use that kernel?

and is it a stock kernel? again i dont know if its like a rom or whatever
    Think of the kernel as a replaceable part of a ROM. Some Roms come with their own custom kernel, and you are able to find kernels by themselves, which are not tied to a single rom.
    You might want to flash this kernel instead since its more recent

If the kernel breaks anything, it will be listed in the kernel thread's first post. You don't need to wipe before installing any kernels. The kernel is "custom" so by definition it is not stock.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

can i ask why i should use the one you suggested? is there much of a difference in the two? and how do i know if a kernel breaks?

edit: oh wait, that link you showed me is newer than ur first post?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

can i ask why i should use the one you suggested? is there much of a difference in the two? and how do i know if a kernel breaks?

edit: oh wait, that link you showed me is newer than ur first post?
    Yes, the one I put on the OP has not been updated since 7/7

It doesn't really make sense to say the kernel "breaks". If it freezes your Evo all the tome or something then just restore from the backup ROM Manager made.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

no one more thing, about those backups, what and how does nandroid backup work? and whats this rom manager?

btw your the best, thanx for all the answers, your awesome!

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

hey, you said some kernel arent attached to roms, like this one, does it need to be?

and do u need specific radio files or anything for this kernel? or am i ok, just flash and were good?

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

again, sorry for so many questions, but heres a different one, the froyo 2.2 update has just been rolled out OTA, so uhh, i installed the kernal that u gave me in the link above, so now...how do i keep the kernal and go to froyo 2.2???

and when i install a different rom, will this kernal be erased?

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiDude View Post
    I gotta tell ya, PPB, I'm a little confused. When I reboot I immediately get notification that SetCPU has been granted SU Permissions. The same for Titanium Backup. I've stopped doing Preflock because I don't think it's doing anything. At least no difference that I can see or measure. I've never gotten above 1307 on Long Bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpongboss View Post
    lol yea that's why I'm saying I can't explain why it's not working for you. If you've never gotten above 1307 then it means you've never been able to force the CPU to be 245mhz. For some reason Perflock Disabler is not working for you.
    I'm rooted with unrevoked3, otherwise completely stock ROM. I sometimes have to try the Perflock disable 4 or 5 times before it takes.

First time I've heard of it too. Maybe it's an unrevoked 3 thing?
    I still need to run the perflock disable after unrevoked3.

And let me add my thanks to the developer of this. My battery life is dramatically better. I've been having problems the last 2 days with auto-sync getting turned off, but I can't imagine that's because of this.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

hey does the kernel i used affect this at all? and does doing this REALLY affect my battery life or not much?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

no one more thing, about those backups, what and how does nandroid backup work? and whats this rom manager?

btw your the best, thanx for all the answers, your awesome!
    nandroid makes a perfect backup of everything, so when you restore the backup, it's exactly as it was before. I think it makes images of the system's partitions, thought I'm not exactly sure.
    hey, you said some kernel arent attached to roms, like this one, does it need to be?

and do u need specific radio files or anything for this kernel? or am i ok, just flash and were good?
    just flash and follow the specific kernel's directions
    again, sorry for so many questions, but heres a different one, the froyo 2.2 update has just been rolled out OTA, so uhh, i installed the kernal that u gave me in the link above, so now...how do i keep the kernal and go to froyo 2.2???

and when i install a different rom, will this kernal be erased?
    Make sure you use a kernel advertised with 2.2 support. The latest netarchy kernel in XDA has 2.2 froyo support. Yes, kernels get overwritten when you install a ROM.
    hey does the kernel i used affect this at all? and does doing this REALLY affect my battery life or not much?
    Yes. Kernels might be undervoltaged at lower CPU speeds to further save battery life. Read the kernel's thread to find out more about each individual kernel. Back when I had 2.1 on my Evo, this saved a boatload of battery. I haven't done much testing since the OTA, but on Froyo it seems like battery life has not been improving as much. I'm on CyanogenMod.

I don't think nandroid backed up everything ... wasn't there a row about the wifi partition not backed up after the 4G key was corrupted?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

wifi partition?! 4g key?! Either you know something I don't, or you have very bad memory :P Wifi partition certainly doesn't make sense to me..

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

What is the App you are running in the first post to show the historical performance data?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    What is the App you are running in the first post to show the historical performance data?
    SystemPanel on the market.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Thanks!

Ok, here's a question for the EE types out there (which I am not).

If you have a processor running at 1ghz and it completes a task in 1 second and then you underclock it to 250mhz and it completes the task in 4 seconds have you saved any power? I'm not sure if the power consumption curve is linear or not. I seem to recall way back in my brain that it is linear which would make me think that you would just be breaking even in the above scenario. I'm sure that there are a bunch of other factors that I have not taken into consideration here (like system overhead processing) but I'm just interested to figure out why the underclocking seems to work from a technical perspective. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

That's something awesome...

I'm using the Incredible... and it all seems to work great... of course, I have no idea what I'm doing - so thanks to PPM for his great and simple guidance.

However, am I supposed to set the main screen max back to 998 after I have set the profiles, enabled the profiles and disabled the perflock?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  

Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    Thanks!

Ok, here's a question for the EE types out there (which I am not).

If you have a processor running at 1ghz and it completes a task in 1 second and then you underclock it to 250mhz and it completes the task in 4 seconds have you saved any power? I'm not sure if the power consumption curve is linear or not. I seem to recall way back in my brain that it is linear which would make me think that you would just be breaking even in the above scenario. I'm sure that there are a bunch of other factors that I have not taken into consideration here (like system overhead processing) but I'm just interested to figure out why the underclocking seems to work from a technical perspective. Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Im also not fully sure on the details, but i'm almost 100 percent sure that an underclock will save battery, and an overclock will wreck your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by statona View Post
    I'm using the Incredible... and it all seems to work great... of course, I have no idea what I'm doing - so thanks to PPM for his great and simple guidance.

However, am I supposed to set the main screen max back to 998 after I have set the profiles, enabled the profiles and disabled the perflock?
    From what i've seen, the main tab just seems to reflect whatever profile the system has currently made active. So changing the main tab wont do anything.

From what i've seen, the main tab just seems to reflect whatever profile the system has currently made active. So changing the main tab wont do anything.
    I think this is true in certain scenarios but not always. An example of when you don't need to set the main screen is how you (pingpongboss) have your profiles setup. Because your profiles basically cover every aspect of the phone from charging, to screen off, to screen on .... your profiles take precedence.

An example of when the main screen actually does control the CPU is situations where the user does not have a profile set for a situation:

Screen off - min 245 max 245
    Charging - min 998 max 998

You can see though that in the example I didn't have a profile setup for when the screen is on, and not on the charger. This is where whatever you set on the main screen now takes precedence. So in the example above, if i set my main screen at min 245 max 576, when the screen is on and not on the charger the CPU will max out at 576.

Keep up the great work. I love this thread.
    Last edited by KSmithInNY; 08-25-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by:

i'm just gonna move this up a little bit.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by UTnick View Post
    i'm just gonna move this up a little bit.
    Dont you mean....

BUMP!
    Arrogant Linux Elitist

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts

I'm running damage control, what would my best setcpu settings be?

Question for the OP..

Are you still getting what you consider better battery like with SetCPU after you updated to Froyo? Also, do you still run that Task Killer? Isn't it possible your improved battery life is due to the TK?

A better control would be to remove the TK, then to try the handset with/without SetCPU.

My experience is that SetCPU makes like or no difference to Froyo's sucky battery life. Froyo is noticeably worse than 2.1, at least for me.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I'm running damage control, what would my best setcpu settings be?
    Read the thread for your ROM over on XDA. I'm not sure but I think damage control has a lot of tweaks for battery life already built in. That being said, if the kernel that installs with that ROM has perflock disabled already and it doesn't have value already built in you would benefit from these setting in setCPU.

Quote Originally Posted by g_b_h View Post
    Question for the OP..

Are you still getting what you consider better battery like with SetCPU after you updated to Froyo? Also, do you still run that Task Killer? Isn't it possible your improved battery life is due to the TK?

A better control would be to remove the TK, then to try the handset with/without SetCPU.

My experience is that SetCPU makes like or no difference to Froyo's sucky battery life. Froyo is noticeably worse than 2.1, at least for me.
    I have noticed a gain in battery life with these settings. It also has a lot to do with the ROM you run. I'm running the AC ROM which has other things done to improve battery life. When developing the ROM the devs made sure that they weren't gonna have bad battery life. My girlfriends EVO is not rooted and has no tweaks done to it or anything to improve battery life. She has the Froyo OTA on her phone and gets great battery life. Some FROYO ROMs go for performance more than battery life so depending on which one you're running that might be the reason why.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I noticed that with the AC ROM you can go as low as 128mhz, but it causes some issues. Waking up was buggy, and getting phone calls when the screen was off was almost impossible. By the time it woke up enough to answer the call I missed the call. I stepped up to the next lowest (the one in the pictures from the OP) and I have had no issues at all.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast