Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default any real tangible benefits to custom rom ?

got my evo 4g not too long ago.. and things are working out great... except it's a little choppy at times.. scrolling is not exactly butter smooth though not bad.

i keep hearing root and custom rom, and thought if that would actually make this phone perfect

i read many comments here and at xda... and many people say the phone after custom rom is snappy.. but looking at the video doesn't convince me it's really better than stock..

and i don't really see a side by side comparison at all..

can anyone share experience?? is it really that much better in terms of responsiveness? scrolling speed and battery life? before / after comparison?

thank you!

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I'm using baked snack now, and I don't think it can get any smoother as far as scrolling goes.

I flashed Droid X froyo and it was much improved... but still not quite like baked snack.

My sister has an iPhone and I've been comparing to her because I don't remember the responsiveness of my iPhone, and when she used froyo she said it's almost there, and when she used baked snack, she said she thought it was faster than her iPhone.

iPhones have perfect smoothness IMHO.

Definitely you should do it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default baked snack?

so a real noticeable difference from stock??

coz everyone is saying it's faster.. but from some of the video i see.. it doesn't look very noticeable ... but i haven't played with one to say for sure

thanks

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Re: any real tangible benefits to custom rom ?

might as well root it and give it a shot, it's very easy now.

Question

I am interested in rooting my phone and installing a new ROM (the Cyanogen's ROM is looking very ) but I have a couple of questions as I am an Android n00b.

How does flashing a rom affect the Sprint stuff like phone activation? Does the phone have to be reactivated after installing a new ROM?

If Sprint/HTC release updates will they mess up a phone with a custom ROM?

I am really interested in getting a stock Froyo ROM and eliminating the Sense stuff and Cyanogen's ROM looks like the one to get.

What are the disadvantages to installing a custom ROM?

When HTC releases their Froyo update for the Evo, will it be possible to go back to the stock ROM and update it?

Thanks, I am enjoying the Evo, it's the best phone I have ever had.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paterick View Post
    I am interested in rooting my phone and installing a new ROM (the Cyanogen's ROM is looking very ) but I have a couple of questions as I am an Android n00b.

How does flashing a rom affect the Sprint stuff like phone activation? Does the phone have to be reactivated after installing a new ROM?

If Sprint/HTC release updates will they mess up a phone with a custom ROM?

I am really interested in getting a stock Froyo ROM and eliminating the Sense stuff and Cyanogen's ROM looks like the one to get.

What are the disadvantages to installing a custom ROM?

When HTC releases their Froyo update for the Evo, will it be possible to go back to the stock ROM and update it?

Thanks, I am enjoying the Evo, it's the best phone I have ever had.
    1. No, you just flash it threw recovery and that's it. No reactivation or anything like that

2. Um, disadvantages of rooting is void your warranty but as for ROMs, nothing really unless you look at if from a legal point of view lol

3. Yes, you can update at anytime.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default but what's the known issues in rooting / custom rom?

the simple root method seems much easier to try now..

but i keep reading about different issues..

this/that not syncing

MMS not working

camera not working

all those would be deal breaker for me.

is it true that those don't work?? i have OTA already applied on my stock EVO now... would the root / custom rom break anything?

thanks

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

there might be issues with doing things your not supposed to do to your phone. But there is a fix for almost everything. Rooted stock roms, such as what simpleroot will give you, will ensure the least amount of issues. Also the least amount of customizablity.

To be honest, if your that worried about it, dont root, dont flash stock roms. That way you ensure that if something goes wrong, its mostly sprint/htc's fault.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not worth it, to me.
    I've tried a number of ROMs and use one that I cooked up that simply removes bloat and zipaligns the apks. I've not seen much improvement in speed.

On top of that my 4G is broke. I did NOT use unrevoked to root and tried all the posted fixes. I was in 4G areas last week and couldn't try it at all ):
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say it's not worth it, to me.
    I've tried a number of ROMs and use one that I cooked up that simply removes bloat and zipaligns the apks. I've not seen much improvement in speed.

On top of that my 4G is broke. I did NOT use unrevoked to root and tried all the posted fixes. I was in 4G areas last week and couldn't try it at all ):
    Franklyn, noticing an increase in speed will be difficult unless you run system benchmark tests such as linpak or quadrant. And i assure you, the scores come back significantly higher with specific custom roms, or OC. Also, the 4g issue could be the result of the acknowledged issues of the evo taking a long time to connect. Or the cities spotty 4g coverage.

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.

Mine is working, I did the Simple OTA root, then the Start from Scratch Root back up to 1.47.651.1, and using a Rooted Stock Rom, 4G works and MMS etc

That's true. But benchmarks are "performance". If the UI is not noticeably faster than what's the real benefit?
    Just sharing my opinion.

As far as the 4G it would say scanning, obtaining IP address from sprint and go back to scanning. I talked to two people using there Evo that WAS on 4G when I couldn't connect.
    It seems there's a few that get their 4G broke, I'm sure there's more that it works for and some that the fixes work for. I'm in the 1st group.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Default hmmm

so seems like so far the response indicates that it's quite a bit of potential headache.. and not much real world noticeable performance (not talking about benchmark)

the main thing i want the phone to be better is user input lag, scrolling smoothness and battery life

thanks

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by boxta View Post
    so seems like so far the response indicates that it's quite a bit of potential headache.. and not much real world noticeable performance (not talking about benchmark)

the main thing i want the phone to be better is user input lag, scrolling smoothness and battery life

thanks
    The new ota improves battery life tremendously. But if you want real improvements, root and use good set cpu profiles.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    The new ota improves battery life tremendously. But if you want real improvements, root and use good set cpu profiles.

I love my Set CPU...

OverClocked to 1.19GHZ

UnderClocked to 128MHZ

I'm good Battery is Fantastical
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

if i already updated to newest OTA before root..

and if i do simple root.. do i still need to flash to the latest OTA ruu to have the latest stuff, or am i good to go?? how bout the baseband, radio, etc?? (so much to remember, and worry!)

ROM

Just Send me your Phone... Promise I'll Return it
    Arrogant Linux Elitist

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by boxta View Post
    if i already updated to newest OTA before root..

and if i do simple root.. do i still need to flash to the latest OTA ruu to have the latest stuff, or am i good to go?? how bout the baseband, radio, etc?? (so much to remember, and worry!)
    nope. your good to go.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by liquidjesus View Post
    nope. your good to go.
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHH Trying to get a free Evo here!!!
    Arrogant Linux Elitist