HTC EVO 4G Unrevoked 3 Rooting Instructions

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Prep:

(1) If you have the original unrevoked root installed, uninstall it by using "Menu," "Settings," "Applications," "Manage Applications" and scrolling to "Unrevoked" at the bottom. Tap it, click "Force Stop" at the bottom and then "Uninstall," "OK" to uninstall it. Then power off/on your phone just to be sure.

(2) If you haven't already installed the OTA 1.47 update, do it now: "Menu," "Settings," "System Updates," and "HTC software update" at the bottom, then click "Check Now" to get the 1.47 update. If you do this update, it takes up to 10 minutes so be patient and let the phone reboot (a few times) until it is done. Then once the update is done, power off/on one last time to get a clean start.

(3) Set your phone to "Charge Only:" "Menu," "Settings," "Connect to PC," tap "Default connection type" and select "Charge Only."

(4) Enable USB debugging: "Menu," "Settings," "Applications," "Development," and put a check in "USB debugging."

The root process:

(1) Download the unrevoked3 install package: Go to http://unrevoked.com/recovery/ and click "Download for Windows." Save the "Reflash-bundle.exe" file somewhere that you can find it on your system.

(2) Using Explorer, run the "Reflash-bundle.exe" file you just downloaded. It'll ask where to install it. Don't just accept the default: change the install location to a folder you can remember: it's just going to unzip some files there: it isn't really a software installer.

(3) Once the files have unzipped, go to the folder you chose in the above step. You should find an "hboot driver.htm" file in that folder: double click on that to open the html instructions on how to install the drivers. Follow the instructions in the html file starting with downloading the actual driver files at the very top. When you download those driver files and unzip those, those are the files (the folder) you'll point to in subsequent steps in those instructions. When done with the html instructions, you should have drivers installed and shouldn't have to come back to this step.

(4) At this point, if you needed to install the drivers, you are probably still sitting at a boot menu on your phone. UNPLUG the phone from USB and select "Fastboot" and then "Reboot" to reboot the phone to restart it. Before the next step, your phone should be on and booted up in its normal operating state (not some boot menu).

(5) Now go to the folder where you unzipped the reflash bundle (step 2 above). Just double click the "Reflash.exe" file.

(6) You should get a window with "Unrevoked 3" on it (on the computer of course). Just follow the instructions in smaller font below "Unrevoked 3" to finish rooting. Note that when it says "Waiting for device," it wants you to plug your EVO into the computer via the USB cable. Note that it wants the EVO to be fully booted normally (not in the Hboot or recovery menus). The prompts at this point are very specific so no need to repeat them. If all works as it is supposed to, the only thing you really have to do is scroll to an item on the phone and select it when instructed. The rest is automated and should result in a "Done" message. The whole thing at this point took maybe one minute so it isn't something you have to wait for or stare at for a long time so if something gets "stuck" for a while... there's likely a problem.

Last edited:

Msqueenb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Disdoc, not to dis-credit you by any means, but this all seems to simple, I guess it's my paranoia of actually doing this and messing something up.

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Disdoc, not to dis-credit you by any means, but this all seems to simple, I guess it's my paranoia of actually doing this and messing something up.

It's worked for countless people already, including myself and two of my friends. Have no fear... go free yourself!

Msqueenb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Prep:

The root process:

(1) Download the unrevoked3 install package: Go to unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.0 and click "Download for Windows." Save the "Reflash-bundle.exe" file somewhere that you can find it on your system.

(2) Using Explorer, run the "Reflash-bundle.exe" file you just downloaded. It'll ask where to install it. Don't just accept the default: change the install location to a folder you can remember: it's just going to unzip some files there: it isn't really a software installer.
For step (1), where do you get the unrevoked3 install package?
For step (2), is done on the pc or phone itself?

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something? I'm at the last step and I've plugged in my Evo and also turned on the debugging. What's next?

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been sitting at "Waiting for System to Settle" for a while now? I guess this program doesn't like Win 7 64 Bit or something..

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If it doesnt work this time, I give up. I have tried this so many times now. Constantly hangs up at either "waiting for reboot" or "waiting to settle". Super frustrating since I have now loss my wireless tethering!

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
If it doesnt work this time, I give up. I have tried this so many times now. Constantly hangs up at either "waiting for reboot" or "waiting to settle". Super frustrating since I have now loss my wireless tethering!

I'm on an XP machine. I don't know if there are any specific instructions for a Windows 7 computer. I'll try to find out.

discdoc

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been sitting at "Waiting for System to Settle" for a while now? I guess this program doesn't like Win 7 64 Bit or something..

In researching a Windows 7 solution, i found this...

On a Win7 x64 system, reflash.exe detected the phone and started working, but about 4 messages into the process I got the "communications lost... try again" message that unrevoked refers to on today's Twitter. After about 6 tries on my Win7 system and even pulling some "tricks" to try to pause reflash.exe at certain points, I gave up and simply booted my old XP laptop and repeated the above steps and it worked perfectly the first time. At the point of the failure, you hear the two tone usb-device-disconnected sound followed by a use-device-connected sound about 20 seconds later. Somewhere in between is where the "communications lost" message appears so it looks like some sort of USB ack/nack issue. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon. My best advice if you get that error: try a new machine. The XP machine that worked perfectly for me had never seen any HTC software. Maybe that helped. And maybe after I uninstalled the HTC software on my Win7 x64 system (the one that didn't work) I should have rebooted before continuing: I didn't because it didn't prompt for a restart and I couldn't find anything "HTC" running in task manager.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been running UnrEvoked on my phone since it came out and I didn't do the update waiting for this to become available.

I'll be installing this tonight!!!

blacksuntzu

May 25, 2010
Visit site
worked like a charm and I have my wireless tether back. Thanks for the writeup. Does anybody know how to go back to stock unrooted in case we have an update or I need the phone worked on by sprint?

Richard_Danger

May 16, 2010
www.twitter.com
worked like a charm and I have my wireless tether back. Thanks for the writeup. Does anybody know how to go back to stock unrooted in case we have an update or I need the phone worked on by sprint?

I am wondering the same. I read somewhere(don't remember where) that all you have to do is uninstall unrevoked3 from the manage applications screen. But that sounds to easy to be true.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513