I regret rooting.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Sure it was cool to buck the system and not have to pay for wi-fi, but I've lost 4G (and i live in a 4G area), apps and widgets that I actually enjoy and use are not in RVU 1.3.2 (sprint apps and facebook sense widgets) and now.. i can't unroot (I know how to use the tool.. but as others have said i constantly get USB connection errors when trying to flash and i seem to have an older Hboot)

At this point, with Froyo around the corner... I should have just held out because now I need to get my phone back to stock and can't.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You know you can get those apps and widgets back, as long as you're in a sense ROM (which RVU has) and there is also no reason to have lost 4G. Why don't you just flash the new Radio and get it back?

Edit: Also just curious, what gives with staying with RVU? You should really try out some of the other (might I say better) ROMS out there. RVU is a good rooted stock, but it doesn't have much flavor to it.

Last edited:

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
liquidjesus.. i read all your posts and im a fan.. do you remember back in june when you helped someone who couldnt get the RUU to recognize the evo... and your solution was basically... on the 50th try somehow miraculously it started working? Well... i havent hit that magic number yet i guess.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Assuming you have full root (NAND unlocked with engineering hboot), I'd suggest you head over to XDA and check out whitslack's instructions on how to get 4G back. This will get you 4G AND put you on a completely stock ROM (although rooted) which includes the OTA. Also includes new radio and wimax but again, you'll need full root with engineering hboot.

Would post a link but I'm on my phone. I'm sure you can find it though.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i found that that issue is remedied by putting the phone into the bootloader (Screen with the white androids). It only takes one or 2 tries now. Give it a shot recently?

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You know you can get those apps and widgets back, as long as you're in a sense ROM (which RVU has) and there is also no reason to have lost 4G. Why don't you just flash the new Radio and get it back?

Edit: Also just curious, what gives with staying with RVU? You should really try out some of the other (might I say better) ROMS out there. RVU is a good rooted stock, but it doesn't have much flavor to it.

I did flash the new radio (sucessfully), but the range just isnt the same. I live dead within a 4G area and now i find I have to place the phone by the window just to hopefully get one bar. I want to try cryogagens rom, but can't flash to it using clockwork (hboot loader is older or something)...

I would like to start over... preferablly root... then cryogagen.. but i can' unroot. (been at it for 3 days...) I can get RUU to recognize the evo when i try and flash to an older 1.32 but then it tells me invalid.. and if i try and use the newer 1.47.65.1 it NEVER finds the eve (timesout then error 170) usb connection.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Why would you unroot simply to root again?

It's your EVO and time so by all means do what you want but it appears your unrooting due to bad 4G ... then going to root and flash cyanogen yet cyanogen doesn't support 4G at all ... rather confusing?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Why would you unroot simply to root again?

It's your EVO and time so by all means do what you want but it appears your unrooting due to bad 4G ... then going to root and flash cyanogen yet cyanogen doesn't support 4G at all ... rather confusing?

I agree, the new radio would seem to fix his issue. But if he wants to unroot, might as well help him out.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Here are my steps..

Place phone in bootloader by holding the down button and power button method.

White screen with skateboarding androids appear:

HBoot-0.79.0000
Radio 1.39.00.03.31
HBoot

On my PC i run RUU Supersonic 1.47.651.1 and HTC PHONE ROM UTILITY 1.0.2.10 opens
On the screen that states verifying information on your android phone. please wait.... it waits about 30 seconds... then comes back with... Error 170 USB connection error

The thing is i know the usb drivers are installed and the phone is correc.tly attached because i could immediatley run RUU 1.32.651.1 and it will at least attmept to flash to that version but then will give me error 140 bootloader version error and on the phone it will say main version is older.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Here are my steps..

Place phone in bootloader by holding the down button and power button method.

White screen with skateboarding androids appear:

HBoot-0.79.0000
Radio 1.39.00.03.31
HBoot

On my PC i run RUU Supersonic 1.47.651.1 and HTC PHONE ROM UTILITY 1.0.2.10 opens
On the screen that states verifying information on your android phone. please wait.... it waits about 30 seconds... then comes back with... Error 170 USB connection error

The thing is i know the usb drivers are installed and the phone is correc.tly attached because i could immediatley run RUU 1.32.651.1 and it will at least attmept to flash to that version but then will give me error 140 bootloader version error and on the phone it will say main version is older.

its no big deal, just run it again, it might take a few trys. USB debuggin should be on btw.

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK. i will try again.. and thanks to all you guys.. keep in mind, some of us are just average joes.. you guys are geniuses to us. So take it easy on us sometimes... some of us are just reformed iphone or blackberry users who had no ability to customize.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this will help at all but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention. Does it have anything to do with the usb cable or usb port? Have you tried different cables and different ports? Tried uninstalling the drivers completely and then reinstalling?

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all.. i sat down and read through countless things but the stuff on xda was the most helpful.. i did have to use adb because my hboot version was .079.0000 but all in all i was able to go back to stock... and root again and even... return to stock. I guess my fear was not being able to do so when i needed to.

LiquidJesus... are you still taking new father donations?