Froyo Update and Unrevoked3

knicks5171#AC

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I used the unrevoked3 method to root my phone. I never installed a custom rom as all I need is free tethering. My question is do I need to unroot my evo to install the froyo update and if I do how do I do so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I used the unrevoked3 method to root my phone. I never installed a custom rom as all I need is free tethering. My question is do I need to unroot my evo to install the froyo update and if I do how do I do so. Any help is greatly appreciated.

So you want to lose tethering??

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just wait for the Root Rom to be Released by the Devs...

Something special will be coming out soon watch for it... :cool:

EVOLICIOUS

May 23, 2010
Visit site
wait, how can we wait we want it all ! the bigger gb's the wifi's, teathering and froyo!nobodays going to sleep tonite! just keep hitting update and posting here damn i think i need evo detox but it feels sooo good! is it here yet? i thought i heard a update?

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
No brick just lose Root...

Is that a definite? haha :) I too want to install the update so i can play with froyo, but i didn't want to brick my phone since i did the unrevoked 3 method. If i do install the update, would it essentially wipe away everything that unrevoked did making the phone stock again? So then if i want to do a full root i would only have to start from the beginning .. and not have to do some sort of un-root process first?

Thanks for any help!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's what happens.

1. You update and lose root. No rooting method for people who update for a long time.
2. You don't update and wait 1-2 days when they come out with a root upgrade method.

Second option sounds much better imo. You can do whatever you want.

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Here's what happens.

1. You update and lose root. No rooting method for people who update for a long time.
2. You don't update and wait 1-2 days when they come out with a root upgrade method.

Second option sounds much better imo. You can do whatever you want.

I think i'll take whats behind door number 2 ... :)

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Is that a definite? haha :) I too want to install the update so i can play with froyo, but i didn't want to brick my phone since i did the unrevoked 3 method. If i do install the update, would it essentially wipe away everything that unrevoked did making the phone stock again? So then if i want to do a full root i would only have to start from the beginning .. and not have to do some sort of un-root process first?

Thanks for any help!

If you want to give froyo a try install CM6 for the time being. ;-)

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want to give froyo a try install CM6 for the time being. ;-)

I would, but since i did the unrevoked 3 method, i've heard i can't install a CM6 rom.. and i'd have to Unroot.. then do a full root method.. then i'd be able to install the CM6 roms.. this is what i've understood from reading on the forums .. :(

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So does the official HTC release of Froyo for the EVO mean that those glorious ROM builders out there will have a new reference tool to break the 4G froyo jam?

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming by doing the update it will just break root.
I am prob gonna do this and run 2.2 for a little until someone finds a way to make root again and just reroot the real way next time rather then unrevoked3

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I am prob gonna do this and run 2.2 for a little until someone finds a way to make root again and just reroot the real way next time rather then unrevoked3

I think I'm gonna do the same thing.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just put mine back to stock rom with unrevoked3 done just for good measure. I was getting not as optimal batt life on the roms I ran anyway so I was planning on putting it back today regardless.

slvrprelude

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i have a stock rom and the netarchytoasty kernal with full recovery from unrevoked3. i dont see whats so bad about it and u can flash custom roms... now if only i could unroot it lol

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

I think I'm gonna do the same thing.

I think it took a couple of weeks (maybe it just seemed like that) for them to actually figure out how to re-root the update. It wasn't until they found the security hole in the flash lite plugin that they were able to regain root access. They couldn't even flash old ROMs and root those because the bootloader was locked down. I imagine everything is going to be even more locked down than last time. If you want to keep root access at all, I wouldn't update until the hackers get a chance to dive into it. Then again, if you can live without root access, by all means, update since Froyo looks awesome.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I think it took a couple of weeks (maybe it just seemed like that) for them to actually figure out how to re-root the update. It wasn't until they found the security hole in the flash lite plugin that they were able to regain root access. They couldn't even flash old ROMs and root those because the bootloader was locked down. I imagine everything is going to be even more locked down than last time. If you want to keep root access at all, I wouldn't update until the hackers get a chance to dive into it. Then again, if you can live without root access, by all means, update since Froyo looks awesome.

To be honest, the only reason why I rooted was to see what it was like and after getting it after only 362 failed attempts I don't mind not being rooted. I didn't use Wifi tehter or hot spot. I only installed a custom ROM to change the look of the menus and such so it's not really a loss for me.

Maybe when I have a better grasp on the rooting process I'll give it a go again but I'm happy with stock right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22