Do I have to Un-Root before OTA Update to 2.2?

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
I used the unEVOked2 one click root for my EVO. I am going to do the over the air update to 2.2 when it comes out coming up. Will I be safe doing an ota update like it is? Of course I know I'm going to loose root...

jedwardmiller

May 16, 2010
Visit site
you will be fine. The ota will overwrite anything it needs to. If you are concerned you can always use the RUU for 1.47 to unroot now and be set for a possible ota tomorrow.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

shaungilmer

May 14, 2010
shaungilmer.com
thanks... now just horrible timing i want the official 2.2 but will be taking a 2 week road trip and I need that free wireless teether doubt a unrEVOked fix would come soon if even at all after the changes sprint made to 2.2

sakasune

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If you running a ROM (like the rooted RvU ROM) it would probably be best to wait until they release the rooted 2.2 ROM. That way you keep root the whole time. I think it was a few weeks until they got the last OTA (1.47?) rooted, so you may be unrooted for a little while if you OTA for 2.2.
Unless you absolutely can't wait for some delicious froyo :p

CoryBantic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna actually unroot just to be on the safe side, or, you can wait a couple of days before dl'ing 2.2 and check the forums to see what (if any) issues users are having.

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If you running a ROM (like the rooted RvU ROM) it would probably be best to wait until they release the rooted 2.2 ROM. That way you keep root the whole time. I think it was a few weeks until they got the last OTA (1.47?) rooted, so you may be unrooted for a little while if you OTA for 2.2.
Unless you absolutely can't wait for some delicious froyo :p

Actually they had a rooted stock rom up within a few hours. Now the custom roms are a different story. I'm currently running the 1.47 rooted stock rom. This will allow for rooted apps to run. So if that's what you're looking for you shouldn't have to wait that long. It's really just replacing the HBOOT that will come with the update with an engineer HBOOT. But you never know with an update like this what will break the root...so just be patient and keep an eye out.

Last edited:

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you are rooted and would like to remain that way, you must wait for a rooted version of the update to surface. DO NOT INSTALL THE OTA UPDATE. I know I'll be waiting for Fresh or Cyanogen to get their hands on it and tweak it before trying it out.

BTW, if you install this OTA update, there's a good chance you'll never be able to root again. FYI!

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you are rooted and would like to remain that way, you must wait for a rooted version of the update to surface. DO NOT INSTALL THE OTA UPDATE. I know I'll be waiting for Fresh or Cyanogen to get their hands on it and tweak it before trying it out.

Cyanogen doesn't touch Sense updates...they are not open sourced.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think I hear that with the last update too. Its all speculation. With technology today and the ability of programmers, there will always be hacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs