Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Default Unroot Unrevoked3 For Froyo OTA Update

Does anyone know how to "unroot" the Unrevoked3 method so the Froyo OTA update can be applied? Thanks!

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by discdoc View Post
    Does anyone know how to "unroot" the Unrevoked3 method so the Froyo OTA update can be applied? Thanks!
    lol Run the RUU to Return to stock... if you dont want to then your SOL

Wait for the Root version of the new release

then update using Clockwork

Easier and you dont need to watch for a new root method...
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by d3xn2o View Post
    lol Run the RUU to Return to stock... if you dont want to then your SOL

Wait for the Root version of the new release

then update using Clockwork

Easier and you dont need to watch for a new root method...
    I'm assuming that returning to stock wipes out everything. If I choose to wait for the root version of Froyo, do I just install it over my current configuration (Unrevoked3)?

ROM

I'm assuming that returning to stock wipes out everything. If I choose to wait for the root version of Froyo, do I just install it over my current configuration (Unrevoked3)?
    You can but you lose everything anyway...

use Titanium back up if your apps really are that precious to you...

In all honesty you can always redownload anything you possibly have...

so just wipe and clear anything... install .zip from SDcard blablabla... and you have 2.2 have fun
    Arrogant Linux Elitist

if you dont mind waiting on a new root method for 2.2 then just use simpleroot OTA to "re-root" your phone then use the 136 and 147 RUU to get back to a stock build then download the OTA 2.2 update

there might be a easier way but thats the only way I could get the 2.2 to to work.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by kellyrx8 View Post
    if you dont mind waiting on a new root method for 2.2 then just use simpleroot OTA to "re-root" your phone then use the 136 and 147 RUU to get back to a stock build then download the OTA 2.2 update

there might be a easier way but thats the only way I could get the 2.2 to to work.
    Waiting for a new Root process is stupid... considering that the OTA 2.2 Root Version will be out if not today within the next few days...

I can not and will not agree with an answer like that...

Why lose root and force yourself to wait for something that is a week or so more down the road...
    Arrogant Linux Elitist

Yes...just wait and flash a rooted version of 2.2 OTA, there are already a couple over at XDA.
    HTC Evo4G
    ENG-HBOOT 0.76.2000
    Amon RA Recovery 1.8.0
    Rooted Stock 3.29.651.5 (Froyo)

Waiting for a new Root process is stupid... considering that the OTA 2.2 Root Version will be out if not today within the next few days...

I can not and will not agree with an answer like that...

Why lose root and force yourself to wait for something that is a week or so more down the road...
    you getting all bent out of shape over something so minor is stupid lol
    relax a little bit, some people may not be so intune like you to having a rooted phone....

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by kellyrx8 View Post
    you getting all bent out of shape over something so minor is stupid lol
    relax a little bit, some people may not be so intune like you to having a rooted phone....

I actually am Relaxed... if i wasn't I wouldnt Answer the PM's I get about Updating to 2.2

Ask yourself why you would be counterproductive in unrooting and waiting for a new Root Process...

Your Root now... your the master of your Domain so to speak on the Evo...

Use the power you gave yourself and Flash a Rom that Exists and is public

The Root Roms are out there... Advising someone to unroot to update just isn't logical...

Quite a few people will agree...

After you realize you lost *if you even had Eng-Hboot to begin with* then come and tell me its something Minor...

As most know I personally went thru hell fixing Root on the Evo for the last OTA...

I dont want to see others going thru the Same Krap...

As all devs State in posts for their Roms...

DON'T INSTALL ANY OTA UNTIL ONE IS RELEASED BY THE DEVELOPERS...

Rule of thumb for Hacking Follow it and you'll be fine...
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
    Thanked by:
    TehMan 

I actually am Relaxed... if i wasn't I wouldnt Answer the PM's I get about Updating to 2.2

Ask yourself why you would be counterproductive in unrooting and waiting for a new Root Process...

Your Root now... your the master of your Domain so to speak on the Evo...

Use the power you gave yourself and Flash a Rom that Exists and is public

The Root Roms are out there... Advising someone to unroot to update just isn't logical...

Quite a few people will agree...

After you realize you lost *if you even had Eng-Hboot to begin with* then come and tell me its something Minor...

As most know I personally went thru hell fixing Root on the Evo for the last OTA...

I dont want to see others going thru the Same Krap...

As all devs State in posts for their Roms...

DON'T INSTALL ANY OTA UNTIL ONE IS RELEASED BY THE DEVELOPERS...

Rule of thumb for Hacking Follow it and you'll be fine...
    this guy is my new hero lol...
    List of my current addictions:
    NS4G - Unlocked Stock ROM + Matr1x-v4
    Evo 4g - GB Evo Deck
    Droid Charge - stock ROM
    Thanked by:
    d3xn2o 

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by TehMan View Post
    this guy is my new hero lol...
    Thx dude...

And to Add... Your a Nanite... Step off dude

As TehMan knows I'm Willing to help everyone and anyone with any issues...

If a Post Noob like yourself is gonna step up again do it with some Substance...

Now let me get back to Cooking my Rom and Enjoying my Day
    Arrogant Linux Elitist
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Has anyone with Unrevoked3 tried this...

Has anyone with Unrevoked3 tried this...

Yes, it works... Having no issues whatsoever so far. Seems much faster than 2.1.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigmonvt View Post
    Yes, it works... Having no issues whatsoever so far. Seems much faster than 2.1.
    Could you explain to me how to do it? Do I need to update those two radio files as well?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Did you install it over Unrevoked3? Did you lose any data or settings?

Did you install it over Unrevoked3? Did you lose any data or settings?
    Yes, I wiped all the settings. Some you can restore from a titanium backup, but be careful what you restore... apps and data ok... system data not so much. Some 2.1 settings may not be compatible with froyo.

This is what I did:

1. copy the rom zip and two radio updates on to sd card
    2. Titanium batch backup all apps, data and system.
    3. Boot into clockwork.
    4. nandroid backup. Make sure the backup states successful before proceeding.
    5. wipe all caches and dalvik
    6. reboot into clockwork
    7. flash the rom
    8. reboot into clockwork
    9. flash the radio
    10. reboot into clockwork
    11. flash the wimax
    12. reboot into froyo
    13. restore whatever apps you want to keep.

This was my first rom flash since rooting with unrevoked3 so there may be extra reboots where none are actually needed, but it doesn't hurt. You will not lose root as long as you flash the rooted rom.

If you run into a boot loop or any other issues, you should still be able to boot into clockwork and restore the nandroid backup from step 4, which would put you right back where you started from. This was my experience, ymmv.

Once you get everything setup again you can boot into clockwork and do another nandroid backup in case you ever want to go back to your freshly configured froyo install.
    Last edited by bigmonvt; 08-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Yes, I wiped all the settings. Some you can restore from a titanium backup, but be careful what you restore... apps and data ok... system data not so much. Some 2.1 settings may not be compatible with froyo.

This is what I did:

1. copy the rom zip and two radio updates on to sd card
    2. Titanium batch backup all apps, data and system.
    3. Boot into clockwork.
    4. nandroid backup. Make sure the backup states successful before proceeding.
    5. wipe all caches and dalvik
    6. reboot into clockwork
    7. flash the rom
    8. reboot into clockwork
    9. flash the radio
    10. reboot into clockwork
    11. flash the wimax
    12. reboot into froyo
    13. restore whatever apps you want to keep.

This was my first rom flash since rooting with unrevoked3 so there may be extra reboots where none are actually needed, but it doesn't hurt. You will not lose root as long as you flash the rooted rom.

If you run into a boot loop or any other issues, you should still be able to boot into clockwork and restore the nandroid backup from step 4, which would put you right back where you started from. This was my experience, ymmv.

Once you get everything setup again you can boot into clockwork and do another nandroid backup in case you ever want to go back to your freshly configured froyo install.
    Thanks for the info. Its good to see this works with unrevoked3. I had read conflicting statements about using unrevoked3 for this, but that might have been because the previous versions didn't allow for it. If there isn't a 2.2 update from unrevoked by Sunday, I'll probably perform this method.

Also, is there anything that is messed up with this rom? Anything not working correctly or any limitations? Thanks!
    Last edited by ohseedee; 08-06-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohseedee View Post
    Also, is there anything that is messed up with this rom? Anything not working correctly or any limitations? Thanks!
    I'm not in a 4G area, so I cannot test that. Haven't looked at the FPS or camera mp yet either. But as far as all of the functionality I use on a regular basis, everything is working.

I did have to update versions of SetCPU, Titanium and Wireless Tether before they would work with 2.2. But that was painless.

And I will add 2.2 has a smoking fast UI compared to 2.1. Makes it seem like an all new phone. There is definitely a noticeable difference IMO.

Don't call the Doc, that won't rock. Just return to stock and lock the clock!!

Have, question: I had unrevoked 3. I have used ROM manger to install 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed, however I did not clean cashe and data. So on the end I had all my stuff not changed (i.e all my settings and data). Will something bad happen to the phone in the future? some settings or something?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Have, question: I had unrevoked 3. I have used ROM manger to install 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed, however I did not clean cashe and data. So on the end I had all my stuff not changed (i.e all my settings and data). Will something bad happen to the phone in the future? some settings or something?
    This is what I'm looking to do. Would you be so kind as to explain exactly how you did it? Thanks!

That was stupidly simple. I have read the post from somebody, who did install 3.36.651.6 on top of unrevoked. He had additional question about radios. You see, if you use ROM Manager, after you choose .zip file to install it shows the window with 2 choices:
    1. Back up current rom
    2. Clean Cashe and data.
    For the radios the answer was - you choose nether.
    So when I started to install 3.36.651.6, I chose 1 and left 2 alone (had not selected)
    After the process finished (in 15 min) I have Android 2.2 and all my settings. Note: my nand is still locked.
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    That was stupidly simple. I have read the post from somebody, who did install 3.36.651.6 on top of unrevoked. He had additional question about radios. You see, if you use ROM Manager, after you choose .zip file to install it shows the window with 2 choices:
    1. Back up current rom
    2. Clean Cashe and data.
    For the radios the answer was - you choose nether.
    So when I started to install 3.36.651.6, I chose 1 and left 2 alone (had not selected)
    After the process finished (in 15 min) I have Android 2.2 and all my settings. Note: my nand is still locked.
    Thanks! If you used Wireless Tether before Froyo, does it still work after? What are the disadvantages to having Nand locked?
    Last edited by discdoc; 08-08-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I pretty much did the same thing. I have 2.2, all of my apps and I had to install version pre7 of Wireless Tether. It works, by the way. There is no 4g in Miami yet so I don't know if the 4g works. There is a thread over at XDA for the Rooted Froyo with the new radio and wimax.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goleary View Post
    I pretty much did the same thing. I have 2.2, all of my apps and I had to install version pre7 of Wireless Tether. It works, by the way. There is no 4g in Miami yet so I don't know if the 4g works. There is a thread over at XDA for the Rooted Froyo with the new radio and wimax.
    Thanks! Would you happen to have the link the the XDA thread?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast