HELP, my phone won't boot any more..

danielcor

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am stuck...

My phone won't boot = simply opens up the initial HTC EVO 4G screen and stalls. I can't attach to it with adb. I DO get the boot menu if I do the lower volume button when I press power on.

It says:

SUPERSONIC EVT2-2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.79.0000
MICROP-041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28
Apr 14 2010, 15:41:34

HBOOT

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

Through "FASTBOOT", I can get to a FASTBOOT menu which says,

BOOTLOADER
REBOOT
REBOOT BOOTLOADER
POWER DOWN

I can read my SD Card directly on my computer.. and I have tried placing a couple of ROMS stored as PC36IMG.zip, and the ROM DOES read these, but all it says is checking, and then goes back to the HBOOT menu.

HELP!

Can someone tell me what I need to get my phone in working order..
Before this happened I had a rooted .6 2.2 Froyo ROM working well.. All of a sudden, it just stopped working and acted like this.

Thanks,

- Daniel

Last edited:

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Your flashing through Recovery right?

and don't rename the ROMs to PC36IMG.zip that will **** everything up which you probably did.

danielcor

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Recovery just brings up the same HTC EVO 4G screen where it hangs.

I may not have NAND unlocked. I was able to update the ROM with a Froyo image, and then the kernel on top of that.

The instructions for those ROMS told me to rename it to that name... There's so much conflicting information on these Android phones.

- Daniel

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Recovery just brings up the same HTC EVO 4G screen where it hangs.

I may not have NAND unlocked. I was able to update the ROM with a Froyo image, and then the kernel on top of that.

The instructions for those ROMS told me to rename it to that name... There's so much conflicting information on these Android phones.

- Daniel

Yeah, it can get quite confusing.

If nand isn't unlocked, got over to xda and go to the EVO development thread and in one of the stickies there will be a thread like "most popular" or whatever and there will be the part 2 of rooting from toast that will unlock nand.

If you have flashed ROMs before though recovery it's unlocked and you might have just lost the recovery image.

Before you do any of the above, download ROM Manager from the Market and flash a Recovery though the app (it's plain and simple) and see if it works.

danielcor

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I already DID have ROM Manager, and had flashed a recovery...

Unfortunately when I select the Recovery item in the boot menu, it just goes to the HTC EVO 4G Screen.

Unfortunately, since I can't boot the phone, ROM Manager can't help me, nor can the Android Market.

I will look for part 2 of the rooting thread from toast.

Thanks,

- Daniel

Yeah, it can get quite confusing.

If nand isn't unlocked, got over to xda and go to the EVO development thread and in one of the stickies there will be a thread like "most popular" or whatever and there will be the part 2 of rooting from toast that will unlock nand.

If you have flashed ROMs before though recovery it's unlocked and you might have just lost the recovery image.

Before you do any of the above, download ROM Manager from the Market and flash a Recovery though the app (it's plain and simple) and see if it works.

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I already DID have ROM Manager, and had flashed a recovery...

Unfortunately when I select the Recovery item in the boot menu, it just goes to the HTC EVO 4G Screen.

Unfortunately, since I can't boot the phone, ROM Manager can't help me, nor can the Android Market.

I will look for part 2 of the rooting thread from toast.

Thanks,

- Daniel

True, didn't think of that lol.

Do that or try to flash the recovery through cmd if you can access ADB

danielcor

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Adb doesn't work.. It won't list the phone as a device, or anything else. The computer does detect that I have connected via USB, but that's it.

About all I can do is to put new things on the SD Card and try to flash them...

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Adb doesn't work.. It won't list the phone as a device, or anything else. The computer does detect that I have connected via USB, but that's it.

About all I can do is to put new things on the SD Card and try to flash them...

Well try the part 2 via xda and update here when your done. We'll get it figured out..

danielcor

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Part 2 requires the use of adb:

- down;oad all files posted above
- unzip the flash_image.zip and the mtd-eng.zip
- put the flash_image and mtd-eng.img on the root of your sdcard
- go into shell on ur pc and do:
Code:
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
- this should only take a second or two
- now put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcard
- power off the phone

Tattrpuff

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
And I forgot my post requires you to boot up and use terminal emulator for ADBs...

Have you tried booting into fastboot usb? You maybe able run adb from there. If not try one of the older RUUs from here in fastboot usb. All the firmware is rootable. Make sure you have the newest HTC Sync installed.

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Supersonic/

danielcor

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have booted into fastboot usb. Adb doesn't run. I have the newest HTC Sync installed.

I can run the fastboot executable and it DOES connect to the phone, but has numerous reasons why it won't flash anything.

I have tried a couple of RUUs... but I can certainly try an older one.

- Daniel

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
have you tried doing the start over thread? since it sounds like you have hboot but not nand unlocked.

How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

this unlocks nand. just load the CORRECT pc36img.zip onto your sd card, it should read it and unlock nand. after following the directions on the above link it should start up. reboot into recovery and at this point you should be able to flash roms, just don't rename them. you shouldn't need to rename roms, i haven't ever needed to...

edit: actually, it may not work. i just reread the OP and saw that you are running 0.79 and not 0.76. whoops

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon