1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Updating to Froyo 2.2 After Unrevoked Forever

Hey everyone, I have run Unrevoked Forever (after having already run Unrevoked 3). My question now is, what exactly do I need to do to be able to OTA update to Froyo now? My understanding is that I'll be able to always keep root after an OTA. I'm very grateful for this exploit from unrevoked, but the instructions on unrevoked wiki are just not clear enough for me. When (during just OTA or also if I flash it through clockwork) and why do I even need to flash a stock recovery? Anybody with a direct link to EVO stock recovery will be greatly appreciated as well.

Also, do I need to wipe if I upgrade to Froyo via OTA? Or is that just if I flash through recovery?

Here are the instructions given by the unrevoked team:

If you wish to install a stock over-the-air update in the future (OTA), the safest way to do so is to install the recovery that originally shipped with your phone. To install an OTA:

Install unrevoked forever on your phone.
    Download or create an appropriate PB31IMG.ZIP or PC36IMG.ZIP for your phone that contains the original recovery image.
    o
    We do not supply these images; since the recovery code is owned by HTC, we don't distribute it. You may be able to find these images on the XDA-Developers forums.
    From the phone operating system, install the over-the-air update.
    When the update is done installing, you will probably want to root it with a custom recovery. Download one of the following recovery restore images:
    o
    Amon-Ra recovery for EVO 4G
    o
    ClockworkMod recovery for EVO 4G
    o
    ClockworkMod recovery for Incredible
    Place the appropriate file – with that exact file name! – on the root of your SD card.
    Reboot your device into HBOOT by removing the battery, pressing VOLUME DOWN, inserting the battery, and pressing POWER.
    When prompted Do you want to start update?, press VOLUME UP for Yes. When prompted again Do you want to reboot device?, press VOLUME UP for Yes.
    Your phone now has a custom recovery. To restore superuser access to your phone, you can apply any appropriate update.zip; such a file can likely be found on the XDA-Developers forums.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mistaau; 08-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Banned

Are you sure you want the Over The Air update?

That means it will be the update sent to your phone by Sprint.

If so, Settings > System Updates
    Thanked by:

i followed the steps everything went fine but how do i get superuser permissions back?
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EVOLICIOUS View Post
    i followed the steps everything went fine but how do i get superuser permissions back?
    What caused it to uninstall?

its still there but i no seem to have root, im up to this part but do not know where to get this update.zip file

Your phone now has a custom recovery. To restore superuser access to your phone, you can apply any appropriate update.zip; such a file can likely be found on the XDA-Developers forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Ok, well if I'm at 2.1 and want Froyo (I'm already rooted) what do you suggest I do toast3d?
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mistaau View Post
    Ok, well if I'm at 2.1 and want Froyo (I'm already rooted) what do you suggest I do toast3d?
    If you can get into Recovery, just flash any FroYo ROM, they're pretty much all updated and based off the Official OTA.

Unless you want to lose root and do the offical (which is the same as our ROMs)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Ok thanks toast3d. I don't want to lost root, I guess I was confused. I was under the impression that after flashing unrevoked forever I would still have root even after an OTA. But the OTA didn't work for me anyway lol. I got some exclamation mark error.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mistaau View Post
    Ok thanks toast3d. I don't want to lost root, I guess I was confused. I was under the impression that after flashing unrevoked forever I would still have root even after an OTA. But the OTA didn't work for me anyway lol. I got some exclamation mark error.
    lol, well you probably got lucky.

Honestly I don't know anything about the Unrevoked methods and don't really care for them so you might be right about not losing root but personally I wouldn't try, but just flashing a FroYo ROM you'll be on the official.

mistaaum, your original post has the answer to your questions.

As stated and in the piece you copied and pasted, it tells you that installing the OTA will remove your root.

Usually, this would be a disaster right? Not if you've already applied unrevoed forever. I guess it's not 100% clear because the questions you've asked have come up a million times over at xda.

What unrevoed forever gives you is the power to re-root after flashing anything. If you read , you'll see that they even tell you to flash back to an official recovery before you install the OTA. Once you've flashed the OTA, your root is gone. That's why they then tell you to flash either Amon Ra or ClockworkMod recovery. Once you've done that, you've got the power again to flash whatever you want, like an update.zip containing the latest superuser or some other custom rom.

Basically unrevoed forever doesn't protect your root. It lets you get it back, should you ever lose it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Thanks for replying and clarifying the information, deathprod.

As for my current situation, I have run unrevoked3, which flashes the ClockworkMod Recovery. When I attempt to upgrade to Froyo OTA, I receive the same installation error that mistaau is reporting.

Howe, exactly, can I go about flashing the Froyo? Should I first upgrade to the latest unrevoked, unrevoked forever; then do the OTA? I'm new to flashing android devices, but have worked with WM and the palm pre previously.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

[edit]

My bust. It seems pretty obvious:
    I'm gonna take a look at the wiki and forums at xda-developers to try to find the stock recovery.zip. Does anyone have it here?

Do you all suggest amon-ra over clockwork for any reason?

[edit 2]

I'm going with this: and have no idea if the 3.26.651.6 stock rom is rooted, but I think I can install this with the clockwork mod, without worrying about rolling back the recovery bootloader to stock.

[edit 3]

Continued...
    Last edited by branded; 08-15-2010 at 07:25 PM.