1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WTF is this hackery?!?!?!!!

Does no one check to see WTF is in the ROM they are flashing?? How in the heck am I the only one that has noticed this???????

This in in CM6!

I can't seem to find this application.....

Evo - MIUI 1.1.28

^----Old signature.

flip phone, bb curve, pre, evo, evo3d, s4.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

seriously? it's at the bottom of all the apps.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

someone on xda says it's the keyboard but I don't see why it needs all those permissions
    Banned

and the flash light app has about all of that

Its not in my CM6...
    Banned

Just delete the app, quick fix!

ROM
    Stock 3D, CM 7.1

Odd, I've never seen that app. Just checked and I don't have it - CM6 RC2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

It's been removed in the most recent nightly, it was in the CM nightly though. These sort of things are scary as ****, esp. cause no one talks about them then you've got people saying "oh don't worry it's just the keyboard"

like i should just believe that? Yeah, nice keyboard that requires all those permissions and just vanishes in new nightlies when someone brings it up. I think there is someone doing some hacking over there but no one wants to investigate. hopefully this opens **** up.
    Last edited by shaker3818; 08-23-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Default Re: WTF is this hackery?!?!?!!!

It's just the pinyin (sp?) Keyboard. Needs those permissions to work, like all keyboards do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Default Re: WTF is this hackery?!?!?!!!

Clearly the op has no idea what he is talking about. Just a failed attempt to bash the cm6 team

standing in an apple store

Quote Originally Posted by Sporky View Post
    Clearly the op has no idea what he is talking about. Just a failed attempt to bash the cm6 team

standing in an apple store
    LOL. Easy man...it's a legit question, and one I love seeing people ask. Just going about it the wrong way.

The Pinyin (and I'm still not sure I'm spelling that right) keyboard is part of AOSP. The reason it was removed in the more recent nightlies, is that it's full of bugs. Hopefully someone can fix them and it finds its way back into CM6.

It asks for those permissions so it can interact with things like your messaging app, gmail app, etc. The stock keyboard needs the same permissions, and any keyboard that doesn't use the stock Android KB engine will need them too.

If you're one of the billions of people that need a Pinyin keyboard, and dealing with the bugs is worth it, you can still get it from the Market.

I'm not affiliated with the CM team in any way, just trying to nip things in the bud so they can go back to coding instead of answering questions
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Just because it lists those permissions does not mean its ripping your ultra secret texts and sending them to some dude in china, nor does it mean its sending automatic texts to some pay per text line either. Its most likely bad programing that needs to be cleaned up and then it will simplify the permissions list. As always you flash the ROM at your OWN risk. The developer could put whatever they wanted to, it's their work. Its your responsibility as soon as you flash it. If and when you find some thing amiss you can bring it to the attention of others in a calm manner. Then you can just remove the app or flash another ROM.