[ROOT] Latest OTA for Froyo 2.2 not rooted yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
It is August 24th, 7:29 in the pm and the lastest OTA update for 2.2 Froyo has not been rooted yet. Also, OU still sucks.

This thread is aimed to bring updates about the progess of those working on finding an exploit for the leaked and official 2.2 updates on the Evo. There are quite a few in our community, here at Android Central, that installed the update and a growing number of the lucky few that are buying new Evos. (Apparently they are shipping with 2.2 installed). There was an excellent suggestion from a local forum member, t0ast3d, to start a sticky thread that we can use to harvest and share all the info we may have. And to be honset -- also to clean up the clutter that grows with each new "Can i root 2.2" thread.

So what we need everyone to do is to keep this thread abreast of any new developements they may find outside of Android Central so that we may bask in the glory of root once the exploit is found.

And if you're wondering about the apps available to root the Evo and whether they work -- they will not. This goes for UnrEVOked's newst app and one I haven't heard of before called Easy Root by Unstable Apps. Now, that doesn't mean they will never work -- it's just as of now they don't. So keep checking.

Last but not least: if you happen to be a linux hacker waiting for your fifteen minutes of fame then I would like to encourage you to fire up your linux box and start playing with everything you can. Remember, the last exploit they found was in Flash and the newest brick wall seems to be the new hboot.

And for you kids thinking: "I am just gonna downgrade to 1.47 and then root that" -- it's not gonna happen, Tiger. But keep trying and let us know.

PS

This is worth mentioning:

STAY AWAY FROM OTA UPDATES!

barakisbrown

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
So if people like me who bought a evo brand new with 2.2 preinstalled, I can not revert back to a previous version to get root??? What happens if you try???

BTW : TEXAS STILL SUCKS..

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So if people like me who bought a evo brand new with 2.2 preinstalled, I can not revert back to a previous version to get root??? What happens if you try???

BTW : TEXAS STILL SUCKS..

Haha. You a sooner? Nothing bad happens -- it just tells you the version you're trying to update to is older.

jcoel01

May 27, 2010
Visit site
It's just sad the Droid 2 is already rooted and yet a 2 month old phone continues to be unrootable. I am not a dev but part of a long time member of xda and android central who wants root access. I just got a refurbished evo that came preloaded with Froyo and now no root what gives?

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
In all fairness the evo was rooted before release and it was nand unlocked just a little while after that. With 2.2 there just isn't the same demand since every dev already has root and many evo owners too. But someone will get it.

jcoel01

May 27, 2010
Visit site
In the end I may jump ship to the epic because of this that screen is amazing and the hummingbird is a very sweet processor. I just want root to break the fps cap that is stuck at 30...its truly weak sauce this great phone can't do more than the iPhone can as far as gaming goes.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
In the end I may jump ship to the epic because of this that screen is amazing and the hummingbird is a very sweet processor. I just want root to break the fps cap that is stuck at 30...its truly weak sauce this great phone can't do more than the iPhone can as far as gaming goes.

Look friend you are making 3 assumptions here.
1. you will like the epic, which i'm guessing you haven't used, and to which the rooting of said devices is still in question.
2. that the Evo's 2.2 wont be rooted.
3. your comparing this phone to the iphone, which has its own mess of issues and flaws, on an android forum, and assuming the gaming on that phone is better. Which is debatable.

=P

the epic does look well... epic though =)

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just a passing thought, since the D2 got root and it has 2.2 maybe the same exploit or a similar one can be used on the evo 2.2. But there's no demand for 2.2 evo root So the world may never know.. Ha.

I don't know much about this stuff, just curious.

jcoel01

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Believe me lj...I am not an Apple fanboy nor would I ever buy another iPhone from them( had a 3gs but came back once sprint got Android)... I just think the evo has superior hardware and to be limited by HTC and sprint and paying the extra ten bucks a month we deserve better I have had handsets from the ppc6700 all the way up to now with the evo and this is truly a disappointing experience.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Believe me lj...I am not an Apple fanboy nor would I ever buy another iPhone from them( had a 3gs but came back once sprint got Android)... I just think the evo has superior hardware and to be limited by HTC and sprint and paying the extra ten bucks a month we deserve better I have had handsets from the ppc6700 all the way up to now with the evo and this is truly a disappointing experience.

hopefully the root for the evo or the switch to the epic works out for you. Personally i just want the hummingbird, they can keep the screen and keyboard and Samsung software overlay.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just a passing thought, since the D2 got root and it has 2.2 maybe the same exploit or a similar one can be used on the evo 2.2. But there's no demand for 2.2 evo root So the world may never know.. Ha.

I don't know much about this stuff, just curious.

DID I CALL IT OR DID I CALL IT?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Please help keep the board clean and information organized. Any posts relating to the rooting of 2.2 Froyo should be made in the sticky. Thanks!

Now root them EVO 2.2's!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.