Way to kill off the EVO:( Sprint & HTC this is on you!!!

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Dear Sprint and HTC:
What is the point of having an unrootable Android phone, that would match up with any other phone out there????
:mad:
And please don't give any BS about the available apps.... I can get most of them on my 2 year old Blackberry, and 2 year old iPhone.:p

acstewart82

Android Lover
May 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow! Are you seriously even going to mention those phones and the Evo in the same sentence. Are you on drugs? Maybe you should go back to your 2 yr old blackberry or lame iphone because you obviously know nothing about cell phones.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Dear Sprint and HTC:
What is the point of having an unrootable Android phone, that would match up with any other phone out there????
:mad:
And please don't give any BS about the available apps.... I can get most of them on my 2 year old Blackberry, and 2 year old iPhone.:p

Maybe try emailing them..

But to answer your question. It would be for
1. your privacy.
2. If you break your phone because you rooted, and then unroot, they have to replace your phone right? Prevent you from rooting, problem solved.
3. To protect their software and the software as well as the network policies of their carriers.

No one is obligated to provide you with a devices you can root. The percentage of the population that roots and wants to root, though growing, is vastly outnumbered by those you go stock. Always cater to the majority.

acstewart82

Android Lover
May 22, 2010
Visit site
+1 My sentiment exactly.

Maybe try emailing them..

But to answer your question. It would be for
1. your privacy.
2. If you break your phone because you rooted, and then unroot, they have to replace your phone right? Prevent you from rooting, problem solved.
3. To protect their software and the software as well as the network policies of their carriers.

No one is obligated to provide you with a devices you can root.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
and furthermore, i would hardly call not rooting the phone, killing it. I can only think of one phone that compares to the evo in terms of hardware and features, and that the iphone 4. You can even jailbreak the current OS, but if you want to go up that alley be our guest, just make sure you "don't hold it that way".

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
LJ,
A lot of Android's appeal is being able to install make different ROMs for it. Would Android have gotten to where it is so quickly without the ability to do so?

AC,
Most of us aren't drones that accept whatever is given to us.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
AC,
Most of us aren't drones that accept whatever is given to us.

Do you cook your own roms? Otherwise your accepting what is given to you.
Or in the least choosing from options provided. There are phones that are open to rooting, the N1 and G1 are great examples.

AC is just one in a handful of online communities dedicated in helping users make the most of their Android devices. But you would be hard pressed to show me that 51% (most) of the hundreds of thousands of people that bought an EVO, rooted or want to root.

EDIT] For numbers sake, i found there are roughly 50,000 users on AC, and even if we assume 10% of all of those users own an evo, of them half want to root, you looking at 2500 people on our forum. Lets assume 2x that on XDA, and count in about 5 other forums with each having 2500 people (highly doubtful), your looking at roughly 20,000 people (some duplicates) total who are interested in rooting their EVO.

Last edited:

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Ya know the same argument could be made for the Epic. I mean its Sprint and unrooted (as far as my knowledge goes).

Just hang for a few weeks and it will be rooted again

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you cook your own roms? Otherwise your accepting what is given to you.
Or in the least choosing from options provided. There are phones that are open to rooting, the N1 and G1 are great examples.

AC is just one in a handful of online communities dedicated in helping users make the most of their Android devices. But you would be hard pressed to show me that 51% (most) of the hundreds of thousands of people that bought an EVO, rooted or want to root.

EDIT] For numbers sake, i found there are roughly 50,000 users on AC, and even if we assume 10% of all of those users own an evo, of them half want to root, you looking at 2500 people on our forum. Lets assume 2x that on XDA, and count in about 5 other forums with each having 2500 people (highly doubtful), your looking at roughly 20,000 people (some duplicates) total who are interested in rooting their EVO.

LJ,
You still haven't responded to part about the allure of being able to flash custom ROM as being one of the big enticements behind Android. As for the numbers you present, you fail to mention the Hacks subsection as being one of the bigger parts AC. Do you really think that The AC community would be as big or popular without it?
As to what I do with my Android, the question is moot since I can't do something as simple as put wireless tethering on it, without rooting.
I hacked away with my Blackberry by helping put together and test various hybrids on AC's sister site, Crackberry.
Cheers.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
widdlewade

I direct you to About the Android Open Source Project | Android Open Source

"Our primary purpose is to build an excellent software platform for everyday users.

... and the result is a full production quality consumer product whose source is open for customization and porting."

By porting they imply the ability to use their source on a variety of devices. (See Governance Philosophy, 3rd paragraph http://source.android.com/about/philosophy.html)

Now as to your comment above about flashing a "ROM as being one of the big enticements behind Android", you are correct in this, that android itself is able to be used a wide variety of mobile device applications. However it is the the manufacturers and service providers that limit the installation of unsanctioned operating systems on their devices. Reasons for that can be seen above.

We aren't discussing the hacking community for AC, we are discussing the hacking community of the HTC Evo, which is a fraction of the total hacking community at AC, and also a fraction of Evo Owners.

And we are discussing HTC EVO Hacks yes? I thank you for your time at Crackberry, but unless you are cooking your own roms for the evo, you are accepting what others are giving to you, again for the evo.

My point with this again is that rooting is a privilege where allowed (or in most cases, not prevented) by the manufactures. If they don't allow it then they don't allow it. The phone is being marketed for its features, not the ability to "root it". Thats what the G1 and N1 are for.

Last edited:

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
LJ,
You still haven't responded to part about the allure of being able to flash custom ROM as being one of the big enticements behind Android. As for the numbers you present, you fail to mention the Hacks subsection as being one of the bigger parts AC. Do you really think that The AC community would be as big or popular without it?
As to what I do with my Android, the question is moot since I can't do something as simple as put wireless tethering on it, without rooting.
I hacked away with my Blackberry by helping put together and test various hybrids on AC's sister site, Crackberry.
Cheers.

You don't have to hack your EVO to have a wireless tether. Sprint offers that service.

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
WW,

These people will be singing a different tune when their evo is broken and they get it replaced with a 2.2 evo. I understand your frustration. Hang in there!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084