[How to] Rooting HTC EVO Froyo 2.2 (Windows)

supchaka

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
LOL..... Did you not read the part about not installing ANY OTA's? Seriously? I mean its right there in every post about people getting skrewed over when installing ota's? Did you not do any research before rooting your $500 phone and then trying to install a not rooted OTA?..... Especially since a rooted version is most likely waiting for you over at XDA, and doesn't take the long to get...

That being said, check out the newest unrevoked, and install unrevoked forever... you seem like some one who will benefit from something like that.

EDIT: The nicer way of saying what i said above - " Yea OTA's mess with root, always look for the rooted OTA's over at XDA. Unrevoked forever seems to fix the issue of rooting in the future, even installing OTA's. In the future try to use your search tool and stop installing OTA's and you'll be golden."

I'm sorry my nomenclature isnt correct I think, I wasnt trying to install Sprints OTA because my phone wouldnt even see theirs. I was trying to load the one from the XDA site. It just wouldnt take it, I kept getting errors, so unrooting it seemed like the next option.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry my nomenclature isnt correct I think, I wasnt trying to install Sprints OTA because my phone wouldnt even see theirs. I was trying to load the one from the XDA site. It just wouldnt take it, I kept getting errors, so unrooting it seemed like the next option.

Then I apologize for my rudeness. Some times the updaters fail when you uninstall packaged software that the update tries to patch. This can include kernels. If you intalled it already, you should be able to root normally.

supchaka

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, i used Unrevoked 3 on my friends evo today. Took 5 minutes and next to no effort. Sure you wont know what its doing or how, but I dont know how magnets work either I just know they do!

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, i used Unrevoked 3 on my friends evo today. Took 5 minutes and next to no effort. Sure you wont know what its doing or how, but I dont know how magnets work either I just know they do!

I don't get it, I was at the unrevoked site and it seems they have a one step root program for the EVO. Why go through all the steps on page one of this thread if I can root in a few minutes? What am I missing here?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it, I was at the unrevoked site and it seems they have a one step root program for the EVO. Why go through all the steps on page one of this thread if I can root in a few minutes? What am I missing here?

So you can learn the process and gives you a better understanding.Teaches you how to use adb,which is something everyone should try to learn if going to mess with their phone.Just cause there's so called "easier ways" doesn't mean they are.To me if you follow along with the great write up that LJ put together this is easy root.

deardave

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
simple root push/copy error

This is fixed---- it failed 3 times-- saw this on XDA

Reboot your phone and computer with the phone unplugged. Once both fully boot up, give them time, plug in phone and make sure you set it to charge only and double check USB Debugging is enabled. Also make sure your PC has HTC Sync installed.

I brought phone back to 2.1 , installed,updated, ran simpleroot

SD card is not mounted as a hard drive. it is set to charge only and debug is on

===============================================================
Simple Root 1.47.651.1 OTA Edition 1
Pushing files, PLEASE WAIT!.....
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Pushing PC36IMG.zip...
failed to copy 'eng-PC36IMG.zip' to '/sdcard/PC36IMG.zip': Permission denied
Pushing mtd-eng.img
failed to copy 'mtd-eng.img' to '/sdcard/mtd-eng.img': Permission denied
Pushing flash_image
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/sdcard/flash_image': Permission denied
Please wait...
/sdcard/flash_image: Permission denied
============================================================
Once your phone is in the screen with the skating androids,
press the power button to go into bootloader.
Wait until the device prompts you to install update
Press Volume Up to install. Wait for completion!
Then press Volume up when asked to Reboot.
Press any key to continue...
============================================================
Press any key to continue . . .

Last edited:

deardave

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Stuck on SteelROM RevG.zip

This is a no go-

After installing SimpleRoot- and then Rom manager, ROM Manager does not work at all-- no functions work

I redid the entire process- very slow-- exactly-- it all went smooth-- no errors-

Rom manager - 2.5.0.3 will not work- will not install SteelRom, reboot, or do anything at all.

Phone is rooted for sure as titanium loads etc etc

So if anyone has advice pls help as I need a phone that works with all my apps and contacts-- and it is getting tiresome restoring this stuff

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
This is a no go-

After installing SimpleRoot- and then Rom manager, ROM Manager does not work at all-- no functions work

I redid the entire process- very slow-- exactly-- it all went smooth-- no errors-

Rom manager - 2.5.0.3 will not work- will not install SteelRom, reboot, or do anything at all.

Phone is rooted for sure as titanium loads etc etc

So if anyone has advice pls help as I need a phone that works with all my apps and contacts-- and it is getting tiresome restoring this stuff

Follow along step by step. Please don't make any assumptions, i literally want you to do each step 1 by 1 in order. Just follow along and verify step by step.

- On your phone please go to Menu > Settings > About phone > Software information > Does Android version show 2.1? If not then the rollback did not complete properly and you should go back to post #1.
- Verify you have USB debugging selected in Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging
- Verify you have HTC sync installed along with the drivers.
- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable
- Drag down the notification bar on the phone and select charge only.
- Open simpleroot and the first thing i want you to verify if it has 3 buttons on the screen or 2? The reason i ask is i want to verify you have the newest build of simpleroot. If you have 3 buttons you have the old version and will need to grab the new version. If you have 2 buttons you're solid.
- While in SimpleRoot, click the "update" button in the lower left hand corner. If it says there is no update great. If it downloads an update, after it downloads i think you can either right or left click on the word update in the bottom of the corner and it gives you the choice to apply said update. Do not move past this step until you can open simpleroot, click update and it says your system is the most up to date.
- Run simpleroot and report back with if you encounter no problems, the same problem, or a new problem.

Again please make no assumptions. It may seem like you've done it 100 times but 101 isn't going to kill you :)

cheers!

deardave

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
- On your phone please go to Menu > Settings > About phone > Software information > Does Android version show 2.1? If not then the rollback did not complete properly and you should go back to post #1.

2.1-update1

- Verify you have USB debugging selected in Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging

it is now -- and i have checked it often- before the #1 step, and before simpleroot
- Verify you have HTC sync installed along with the drivers.

HTC Sync is re installed-- as I restored my contacts- However .....

when I did an hboot driver install for revoke 321, I updated driver

unrEVOked modified USB driver

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/lib/e...unrevoked.com/recovery/android-usb-driver.zip

However I reinstalled HTC sync- I am going to uninstall HTC Sync and then reinstall- unless this doesnt matter if that driver is still hanging around???

UPDATE- IT IS HTC DRIVER installed

- Connect the phone to PC via USB cable

check

- Drag down the notification bar on the phone and select charge only.

done and have checked that consistantly as well

- Open simpleroot and the first thing If you have 2 buttons you're solid.

2 buttons

- While in SimpleRoot, click the "update" button in the lower left hand corner. If it says there is no update great.

there is a green check that shows all is up to date

- Run simpleroot and report back with if you encounter no problems, the same problem, or a new problem.

be back in 10 minutes

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
first time-- nothing would push-

I rebooted PC, then put in usb, started SR-- and it worked fine

ok ... now follow these instructions....

1) Go the the market and download the app "superuser". The author should be "chainsdd"
2) Install that. Once you install the app, open it and it should notify you to update the binary, do that. it will say successful when done. if you are not notified go to the settings tab in the upper right hand corner of the application, scroll down to the bottom, tap the last option to update binary.
3) Now download titanium backup. Inside of titanium you should see a button labeled "problems" ... click that and install busybox. (not sure if this is necessary BUT it's guaranteed not to hurt)
4) NOW install and open ROM Manager :)
5) First thing you'd probably want to do, assuming you'll stick with clockwork mod recovery, is click the top button in ROM Manager to ensure your recovery image is the most recent.

deardave

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
2) Superuser....application, scroll down to the bottom, tap the last option to update binary.

"checking available version fails"- might be their server though??

However titanium and box done as well as RM-

and the problem exists- RM still cant do crap-- wont even reboot into recovery

BTW i should have mention- that power and volume down also does not boot into hboot- it used to- and I thought it would be fixed after all my roots and unroots and roots- however i just checked and it still doesnt

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

However titanium and box done as well as RM-

and the problem exists- RM still cant do crap

Download an app from the market called "android terminal emulator"

open the app and type
su [press enter]
Does it come back with a "#" sign? just want to check

EDIT - lol you edited your post while i was typing so i edited mine

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

This actually may be the problem. I just checked and their server is in fact, down. Not sure how far you're gonna get without the proper SU binary. well ... for the ROM Manager piece anyway. Not sure whats going on with HBOOT.

Normally I'd suggest you boot into HBOOT, go to recovery, make a nand backup, then try flashing a ROM to see where that gets yah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC